Author Topic: 30-30 Micro-Groove works  (Read 1286 times)

Offline 1lnbrdg

• Trade Count: (0)
30-30 Micro-Groove works
« on: February 22, 2004, 12:36:17 PM »
I killed a dear this past fall with a cast bullet for the first time.  Was shooting a 30-30 Marlin micro-groove.  This load is one of the lee bullets with unique powder.  I don't have the specifics here with me now but didn't accept the load until I had one that would shoot under 2" @ 100yds.
Am planning to try to work up using 2400 powder this spring to see if I can increase the velocity a little.  .309 diameter as cast with liquid alox only dipped to the level of the lube grooves.  Ran the bullets through a Lee .309 sizing die to seat the gc's and make the lube uniform in the groves.
Just bought an 03-A3 Springfield last week-end that is shooting about 20" high @ 100yds with jacketed bullets.  Looks like a good place to start working up some more cast loads here also. :wink:
child of the Way

Offline Dr. A

30-30 Micro-Groove works
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 02:56:32 AM »
I have had good luck shooting my microgroove as well.  I have a similar set-up, but used a .311 sizer instead. It seemed to help a little more with the accuracy.  Did your bullet expand, or did it just pencil through on hitting the deer?  I have had really good luck with cast and W748, 2230C, and BLC-2. I shoot the 311041, and RCBS 180gr.  So far, I have only used water quenched and non-water quenched wheelweights.  Accuracy has been suprisingly good at velocities well over what most have told me for a microgroove.

Offline 1lnbrdg

30-30 Micro-Groove works
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 02:09:18 PM »
We are blessed here in N/W Louisiana with a rapidly growing deer population.  This year, wwith all of the "Doe Days" I decided to try the load out.
IIRC, the load is a 180gr Lee pushing about 1500 fps.  Took the shot at about 40-yds.  The bullet punched through, centering a rib on each side.  There was no major exit wound but there was a good blood trail for the 25yads that she ran.  Found her right at the end of the blood trail.
Tried shooting un-quenched sized @ .308 but leading was very evident after a couple of shots.  Started quenching and sizing @ .309 (almost as cast) and there was no  leading evidentafter 66-shots working up the loads with the Unique.  None of the loads shot over 3.5" @ 100yds.
Now to try working up some loads for the 2-groove Springfield...
I have some of the AA2200 that I have really been wondering about as it's a pretty fast burning rifle powder.  Not sure how it will do with less than a full case though.
 :P
child of the Way

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
AA 2400 as cast bullet powder
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 12:38:26 PM »
If you can get your hands on a Lyman Manual you will find that it has both Unique and Aliant 2400 powder loads for cast bullets of differing weights for the 30-30 caliber.  

There is another topic on entitled something like 16 grains of Alliant 2400 as the "universal" cast bullet load.  You might want to check out both the Lyman Reloading Manual and the other thread.

Good luck

Offline 1lnbrdg

30-30 Micro-Groove works
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 04:26:02 PM »
I was looking at that thread earlier.  I just won a bid on e-bay on cramer 180gr GC mould.  looking to work something on the -06.  This is my busy time of the year though.  I shoot High Power and everything gets really busy as far as practice and reloading.  I just love to burn powder.  Shot a little small bore last fall and could see that could be a lot of fun but, could also burn up lots of time too.
I hope to work out the -06 loads before this fall.  Maybe even try shooting one of the reduced course matches with my 03-A3 this summer.
Thanks! 8)
child of the Way

Offline haroldclark

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Micro-Groove Barrels
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 02:06:33 PM »
Hello guys,

I love the conversations about the Micro Grooved barrels not shooting lead bullets.  The "They Brothers" will say they don’t shoot with cast bullets, but my Marlins don't know they are not supposed to shoot cast bullets.

A few editions back the Lyman Manual 46 or 47 declared that the accuracy load for the 30-30 and a 173 grain cast bullet like the 311041 with 20 grains of Reloader 7.  I cast a bullet similar to that in a Saeco mold and I buy the near same bullet from Laser Cast (Oregon Trail Bullet Company in Oregon).  Try that load for 1600 fps out of a 22 " Marlin.  I size all my 30 caliber bullets to .310".

I have a database with 844 records of groups fired on paper targets.  I go to the list of all such groups and sort them by the smallest groups at the top.  A 444 Marlin with micro-grooved barrel with a 1 in 38 twist takes the three top spots for accuracy with 0.2", .375" and .375".  I have records from 25-05 varmiter, 223 varmiter and deadly 308 Sako that suck hind tit to the Marlin.  I shot 3,374 rounds through that barrel and all were cast bullets.  Marlin replaced the barrel for nearly nothing in January of 2004.  

30-06 in a Springfield.  Try Lyman's recommendation of 25 grains of Reloader 7 with the 173-grain bullet sized at .310.  I shoot this load from a Remington model 742 Semi-auto rifle that is also, not supposed to even shoot jacketed bullets well according to the "they Brothers".  I have used a Saeco #301 cast at 210 grains and the Saeco #315 at 173 grains with the same load of Reloader 7.

The 210-bullet velocity is 2015 fps chronographed.  The 173 grainer with same load chronographs at 1811 fps with a maximum spread of 19 fps.

My shooting buddies have declared the Model 742 to be "The 742 Bench rest".

I cleaned it after 1400 lead rounds because the bolt froze closed from gunk and junk.  A lot of Break free and a little time I got it open and apart.  The gas port was not affected in any way.  There is never any leading in the barrel.

The lube that I use is Javelina 50-50 Bees Wax and Alox and the bullets are rolled on a cloth containing Motor-Mica.  I don't drop them in water or anything but use wheel weights and 2% tin or wheel weights 3 - with Linotype.

That reminds me about the little 25-06 bullet at 2245 fps.  It is only wheel weights and 2% Tin.  No leading.

I am a lead lover.  If lead will fit it, I will shoot it.

The new Lyman Manual 48th Edition loves the XMP 5744 powder.  It is great stuff, but I really like the Reloader 7 and IMR 4227.  I use IMR 4227
in a 7.5 X 57mm French Mas rifle (Excuse the use of French stuff) and an Oregon Trail bullet with fantastic results.  My 25-05 likes 4227 too.  Both of these powders meter like fine sand and weights are near perfect.

I hope I haven't bored you guys to death, but this is one of my favorite subjects.

Harold Clark
haroldclark@citlink.net