Author Topic: chronograph readings and eating a litle crow.  (Read 929 times)

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
chronograph readings and eating a litle crow.
« on: May 25, 2013, 12:20:26 AM »
Ive got 3 new guns ive been working up loads with and found a good accurate load and took the chrono out to check them. A 300 ultra 26 inch barreled bdl. A 24 inch barreled 300 H&H classic and an abolt 22 inch 300 wsm. Ive allways been one that preached the short mag **** was well, just that **** but the chrono doesnt lie. the 300 h&h and the wsm were loaded with 4350 to the point i got pressure signs and then backed off one grain of powder. I wont list the load as its at least with the h&h well over listed data. Both were loaded with 150 hornady sst tipped bullets. Average for 5 shots put the H&H at 3125 and the wsm at 3185 so i got 60 more fps out of a 2 inch shorter barrel. Got to be something to the short mag ****. the ultra was loaded with 97 grains of re25 and a 168 tssx. Never had any pressure signs but that load shot so good i stopped there. It went 3425 for an average so dont let anyone fool you into thinking its a waste of powder. You arent getting to that level with any of the smaller 300s and id save that 250-300 fps with a 18 grain heavier bullet is a big step up in horse power. Ill add too that theres probably a bit more to be had if I wanted to take the time
blue lives matter

Offline RevJim

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: chronograph readings and eating a litle crow.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 04:27:59 AM »
 That mirrors my experience with them also Uncle Lloyd! I found that 300 WSM easily ran with my beloved 300 Winmags, and that the 300 Ultra was waaaay more cartridge. I also have never loaded for any Ultra 300 or 7mm that wasn't as accurate as the 300 WSM. I sold my 7mm RUM last year, but my SIL has the 300 RUM I had built for him. He sticks with the 200 Accubond. He did pick up one of those semi-plastic Tikkas in 7mm Remmag awhile back. He wants to use the HSM ammo in 180 Bergers. He is a Marine Msgt and of German stock...hardheaded and stubborn, but he can shoot, ha.
When the 300WSM first came out, I had a Mod 700 Varmint in .308 converted to it. Bolt face opened up, M16 extractor, in-line magazine and its standard 26" heavy bbl, also a shilen trigger. That baby shot 180's at 3200 with ease! I gave that rifle to my Pastor in Texas to use on those beanfields ( he hunts places like you do Lloyd) he loves it.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 07:13:42 AM »
Educational ;)
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 09:31:11 AM »
Err Rev :D What sort of mighty beast is there in TX that requires 180 gr bullets? :)
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline FPH

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 02:05:41 PM »
Err Rev :D What sort of mighty beast is there in TX that requires 180 gr bullets? :)

We have Elk and Black Bear in Tx......Hogs

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 06:10:13 PM »
The best I have done with my 300 Weatherby Mag is 3295 fps with a Hornady 165 BT in a 26" barrel.  This was with a healthy load of 8x.0 grains of Norma MRP which is no longer available.

You have a great bean field rifle if that is what you seek.  You are besting the Weatherby by 150 fps and not maxed out 8)

Ken
NRA Life Member

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 12:05:08 AM »
ive allways had a soft spot for the 300wby and wouldnt be without one. I think its the best compromise of all the 300 mags. this ultra will be fun to play with though on those real long shots.
blue lives matter

Offline RevJim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 03:50:28 AM »
Ha! I worked that load up for out here in the west, it just happened to be the loaded rounds I gave him with the rifle, 180 Nosler BTs. My Pastor doesn't handload. I gave his son a Mod 70 classic FWT SS/walnut in 300 winmag. He uses the Federal 180 NoslerBTs in his also, works swell on those 90# whitetail, ha!

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 09:52:17 AM »
One of the nastiest kickers I had the misfortune to own was a re-chambered Ruger# 1 from 300 Winnie to 300 Wby. It didn't shoot all that good which was more of the rifle's doing than the cartridge. I never shot anyhing that needed 300 Wby power. Favorite bullet for the 300 Magnums and later for the 06 while in BC was the 200 gr Speer SP.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.