Author Topic: 20 gauge youth questions  (Read 929 times)

Offline Lifesabeach06

• Trade Count: (0)
20 gauge youth questions
« on: May 25, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »
As some of you know I am new here and to H&R shotguns. Before buying mine I was considering getting a 20 gauge youth for my nephew but after shooting my 20 gauge I dont know if I could put a little kid behind that gun and not feel bad about tge recoil haha. Whats everyones experience with the youth for kids to start shooting with.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: 20 gauge youth questions
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 02:24:51 PM »
Every kid is different, some can handle it but it's best to err on the side of caution rather than have them develop a flinch.

My son is 11 and is recoil shy. He can handle a 410 no problem but my state has a 20 gauge minimum requirement for turkeys. I got him a 16 gauge H&R and had him shoot light 3/4 oz. loads. Even with those I could see him flinching so I really had to work with him to get him not to flinch. He missed a jake last weekend, he might have flinched during the shot. H&R's are very light guns so even a 3/4 oz. load is a lot to a kid that age. RST makes 3/4 oz. loads for 20 gauge also so I would recommend starting there and if he can handle it work your way up to whatever he's comfortable with. http://www.rstshells.com/rst_classic_shotshells_shotshells.htm
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline JoseBob

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 03:23:06 PM »
IMHO the 20 gauge is the perfect gun to start with.  I suggest a good recoil pad and a modified choked barrel.  The gun will throw a wider pattern and he would have a better opportunity to hit what he is shooting at.  There are some things to take into consideration though.  How old the  young un is, is he small framed.  Has he shot before.  And what is his attitude about guns and hunting.  Start him out with very light loads and definitely no 3" mags.  Let us know how it turns out.
Draw a fine bead on em Son!

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 03:46:26 PM »

Google Chuck Hawks recoil tables and compare the 20 gauge to different rifles.  I bet most people don't know a 20 gauge recoils about like a 30-06.

Offline Lifesabeach06

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 04:15:52 PM »
Hes only 10 but he wants to shoot. Hes good with a bow and enjoys hunting. Just dobt want him to start flinching. Maybe I will start him out with a little heavier 20 gauge ithaca.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 01:53:36 AM »
Making them heavier is no problem.  Remove the butt plate and fill the hole for the stock bolt with lead shot.  Leave some room for some scrap cloth behind it so it doesn't make noise.  Use as little or as much as needed.  Usually shotguns don't kick much when you actually have game in front of you.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 04:26:11 AM »
Making them heavier is no problem.  Remove the butt plate and fill the hole for the stock bolt with lead shot.  Leave some room for some scrap cloth behind it so it doesn't make noise.  Use as little or as much as needed.  Usually shotguns don't kick much when you actually have game in front of you.

or stack up  the  right sized  coins or washers  in side the stock bolt hole
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Littlepage

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 09:05:20 AM »
My kids use 20 gauges with a 410 chamber adapters.  I'll going to let them try 20 gauge shells soon.

Offline Lifesabeach06

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 03:43:58 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. How are the h&r pumps? Looking for a new duck gun i dont feel bad dropping in the water or the boat.

Offline cudatruck

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 03:56:12 PM »
My son started hunting ducks and geese with 20 ga single shot, he was 11. He only complained about recoil when practicing on clays, never while shooting a bird. He was amazed to discover our 12 ga guns kick less than his 20 ga depending on the shell used. Light target #8 2 3/4 12 ga surely kick less than 3" mag 20 ga goose loads!

Offline Chinsky

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 11:25:04 AM »
I would think long and hard about it.  We are all noobs and started with some H&Rs, which are great but have their limits.  My kids are small so YMMV but my 10 year old shoots an H&R JR Classic 410 - mostly at stationary targets as its hard to hit clays with a 410.  That gun weighs about 6#.  Initially the muzzle would start to come down but now he handles it fine.  I bought the Jr. Classic in 20 for my tweens but it only weighs 5#!  It's the same gun as the 410 but the barrel is bored out more so the gun is much lighter.  It hits pretty hard even with Fiocchi light training loads (3/4 oz., 1075 fps via ableammo).  As they've grown, I've added weight to the stock (roll of nickels = 7 oz.) and put a 26" barrel but it is still pretty light.  I also put a slip-on recoil pad over the standard pad (which is a decent rubber pad) to help cushion the hit and to extend LOP.   The gun is just too light for a 20.  I have a Topper Deluxe Classic 20 and that gun is 7.25#.  That one is quite comfortable but it is a bit heavy for the kids to manage.  Personally, if using a break action, I would want at least 6# for a 20.  If he can't balance that, I would think about another type or drop down to the 410.