Author Topic: Head came off brass while neck sizing a K hornet...what to do?  (Read 871 times)

Offline bulletstuffer

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
  • Overkill begins when hair shoots out the antlers.
Hi guys.  I didn't realize brass was bad.  I was neck sizing and the head snapped off with nothing sticking out the end of the die.  Case remover won't work because there is nothing to screw it into.  I unscrewed the decapping stem leaving the brass and the expander in the die :(   It is in there solid.

Does this mean the die is hosed.  I just looked at where the prices have gone on these dies.  OUCH!!!  I'm afraid to buy another one as I have seen some rings on other pieces of brass.  What to do? 

Thank you for the help.

Bulletstuffer
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: Head came off brass while neck sizing a K hornet...what to do?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 02:32:28 PM »
Never had that happen.  I'd put it in the freezer for 45 minutes or so and then try to push it out.  Worst case you send it back to the manufacture and they will get it out.  I'll bet someone will soon be along with a fix.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 02:41:45 PM »
I'd try the freezer thing and then tap the screw end of the expander with a mallet.  GL!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline GEMSTATE

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 03:07:32 PM »
Might try boiling it for about 5 minutes. That's how they seat or remove wrist pins on diesel pistons. Then give it Docs treatment.

Offline bulletstuffer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 03:16:49 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies!  Now the decision is boil or freeze...boil or freeze?
I am the first to work when I have to and the first to go on vacation when I can!  God Bless America!!!

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 04:06:24 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies!  Now the decision is boil or freeze...boil or freeze?

Boiling faster than freezing.  ;)

Offline bulletstuffer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 06:42:20 PM »
Walked by the freezer before the stove ;)   I'll try to pound it out in the morning and then call Redding.  It sure would be nice to not have to buy another die for 40+ bucks!

Thank you,

Bulletstuffer

Offline FPH

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 07:00:07 PM »
I've put a small amount of dry ice into a cylinder.....left it 15 min.......put my hand into the cylinder.....make a fist........out comes the steel sleeve.

Offline bulletstuffer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 02:29:31 AM »
Good morning guys.  I was able to get the expander out but the case is still in the die after freezing.  I'm going to call redding this morning and see what they suggest. 

I'll update you on the progress.  Thanks for the replies!

Bulletstuffer

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 02:37:54 AM »
Ain't reload'n fun!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Zcarp2

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 02:50:28 AM »
Take an oversized (and wore out if you have one) brass cleaning jag.  For 22, I'd start with a 6mm but larger will work.  Shove it up into the neck portion until snug and pull the brass brush and the case remains out.  This works for 223 case head separations in rifles so it should work here.  If the 6mm brush doesn't grab enough try a 30 cal.  Might take a few tries to get it wedged enough.

Also consider soaking it in WD-40 or another penetrating lubricant before trying to brute force it out.  Don't spritz it, but submerge it in a glass jar filled with penetrating oil.  I'm getting lazy in my old age.  I soaked a 243 die in WD-40 overnight after almost stripping the threads off it.  Amazing how easy it slipped out after that.

Don't give up, it'll come out.
Zcarp2

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get-rich-quick theory of life." - - - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline bulletstuffer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 02:56:38 AM »
It's always a blast using up the reloads at the the range ;D   Dealing with stuck cases...not so much ::)   I could buy a new neck sizing die or a box of 20 k hornets from buffalo bore for $37.50! 

Fire formed 250 so far.  Factory ammo in that amount would have cost $467.50!  I think I'll have to stick with a little frustration and the cost of a new die ;)

Thank you,

Bulletstuffer

Offline bulletstuffer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 03:09:33 AM »
Hi guys!  Just got off the phone with Redding and they said to send a check for $6 and the die to them and they would get the brass out for me :D   Luckily the cases are now loaded so I can wait to get the die back and I'm not in dire straights :)

Appreciate the help as always!

Bulletstuffer

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 03:27:40 AM »
This isn't all that unusual, and its usually a result of improperly lubed casings. Take something along the lines of an ice pick and a small hammer and tap the point into and between the case and the die. Being carefull not to scratch inside of die (not likely) and bend casing out enough to get a good hold with needle nose plyers and, using a oil based liquid (wd40) work the case out. Bending it away from the die walls as you go. Works most every time.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 07:48:36 AM »
I had a 7mag case do that same thing to me a few weeks ago.
I tried everything I could think of at the time and then I decided to try a drill bit that was larger than the inside case diameter but smaller than the sizer diameter. A few turns into the brass and I was able to gently tap it out with a small hammer. No marks on the inside of the die.

Offline ThomTender

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 08:42:53 AM »
Take a broken bolt easy out that will just fit the broken case. Easy_outs turn counter clockwise. The Stuck case will be wrung onto the Easy-out and it will pull right out. Have done it many times both to dies and chambers. Thomtender

Offline squirrelslayer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 09:20:46 PM »
+1 on the easy out.
I hate when i miss. But when I do, I can always come up with a reason why.

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 10:45:04 AM »
+ 2 on the easy out

Also freeze then drop in boiling water. Tthe brass and steel will expand at different rates and sometimes pop it free.............
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline goodshot

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 01:50:17 AM »
       fill the case with JB weld or some 2 part epoxy, let it set up, you then will have a firm surface in the case to drive against.