Author Topic: Peep sight rec. for 45-70  (Read 1084 times)

Offline abolt-fan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Peep sight rec. for 45-70
« on: June 06, 2013, 08:57:20 AM »
I am considering taking the scope off my Handi 45-70 and going with a peep sight set up.  I've used the factory Williams peep while testing the Buffalo Rifles and was able to shoot good groups.

What I'm looking for is recommendations on peep sights from those of you who've used them on a standard 45-70 Handi.  I've found that for me a peep works best when it's aperture is about mid way between fine and ghost ring.  For example when I've used Williams peeps I drill the small aperture hole out to the size of the threaded shank.  Anything bigger than that doesn't work as well for me.

So if you have a recommendation I'd like to hear it.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Peep sight rec. for 45-70
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 09:02:27 AM »
Lot on that subject in the FAQs Peep and Firesights link, I've used the WGRS for years with the Twilight aperture on muzzleloaders, works well in all kinds of light for hunting with a fiber optic front sight, 1½" groups at 100yds on one of my 45-70 Handis, even with my old eyes.  8) The Twilight aperture is available with different size holes.

Tim

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/384348/williams-aperture-twilight-wgrs-3-8-diameter-with-125-hole-long-shank-black
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 09:39:33 AM »
I went with the Williams target knob peep on mine. 
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/572292/williams-fp-h-and-r-tk-receiver-peep-sight-white-systems-h-and-r-buffalo-classic-and-handi-rifles-with-target-knobs-aluminum-black

My only complaint is that I still need to carry a screwdriver to unlock the settings but I have no complaints about how it shoots. I've had good results with it but I recently put on a larger sundial and smaller hole mostly just because.  The sundial on my Martini is quarter sized and I found the standard one on the sight oddly small.  The 3/8" one seems about right with this rifle and sight but I'd love to have a sundial with dial a hole like the one on my Martini but I think it would hit the frame.

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 10:30:38 AM »
Dont have it on the 45-70, but I do on the 38-55TM, the std from factory simple peep WGRS(?) and once it is sighted in for the optimum distance with the load Im using I dont need to tweak it.
I do like the looks/function of the NODAK peeper, and have proven on the target range that I dont need the big outside dia. target aperture as I shoot both eyes open and dont want to block the field of view for a hunting gun.
BTW, if you want a smaller dia. than the BSA type c/w adjustable aperture the Merit 'field' model is dandy; it adjusts like a camera lens. It is pricey and the much cheaper Williams 'shotgun aperture' is very effective as an all-rounder.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 05:18:30 PM »

Get the gib lock knob from Brownells, it works great.

Tim

I bought one but it's too long and hits the barrel of the rifle.  I'm going to get a lock washer to go under it then grind the rest off...  You still need to have a screwdriver to unlock the windage set screws.

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 06:40:09 PM »
You musta ordered the wrong one or they sent the wrong one, mine fits fine with room to spare between it and the barrel, they make different lengths.

Tim

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 10:53:01 PM »
This particular screw came in a bag with a label that matched what I ordered and there is only one screw listed for this at Brownells.  I'll eMail them about it.

I'll take pix later but it's so long that it would tighten against the barrel way before it locks the sight.

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 12:02:15 PM »
It does say in the specs: 
This may require fitting by grinding the tip of the threads to fit some sights.

Tim

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 02:58:35 PM »
The threads on the screw stop shy of the shoulder so the next time I'm in town, I'm going to look for a tiny flat and lock washer to put under it before I grind end down to fit...

Tony

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 03:28:25 PM »
Ive found the wrong stuff in a 'labeled right' bag before too.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline DCmauser

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 02:55:44 PM »
Dont have it on the 45-70, but I do like the looks/function of the NODAK peeper, and the Merit 'field' model is dandy.  Williams 'shotgun aperture' is very effective as an all-rounder.
How are those NoDak rear sights adjusted; are they windage adjustable only?
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?topic=220815.0

http://www.nodakspud.com/

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 07:37:18 PM »

Get the gib lock knob from Brownells, it works great.

Tim

I bought one but it's too long and hits the barrel of the rifle.  I'm going to get a lock washer to go under it then grind the rest off...  You still need to have a screwdriver to unlock the windage set screws.

Tony

• Description
  • Specs
  •     All Foolproof sights (except TK models) use the Short Elevation Knob. The Long Elevation Knob is for use with Foolproof-TK target sights. The Elevation Gib Lock Knob fits both standard Foolproof and Foolproof-TK models, as tim said i had to file my gib lock knob down.
    Bernie ;)
if its feral its in peril

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 12:01:09 AM »
It's on my list of things to do when I get round to it.  For now I'll be sure and have a screwdriver of the proper size for when I go shooting this rifle...

Perhaps I'm whining but I think it should have come with this from the factory...

Tony

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 02:53:16 AM »

Perhaps I'm whining but I think it should have come with this from the factory...

Tony
+1 on that Tony.
Bernie :)
if its feral its in peril