Author Topic: A very Handi Handi  (Read 2114 times)

Offline jackddavis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • HMDS
A very Handi Handi
« on: June 07, 2013, 07:40:12 AM »
In .357 Magnum. This is my project rifle purchased just for the purpose of making a fun gun for my camper, taking care of pesky critters and poking holes in paper and tin cans. It also make a fine companion gun for my Ruger SP101 in same caliber. I posted some of this way back, but so much has been done since, I thought an update was in order. It has also had hundreds of rounds fired through it now and it performs beautifully. Since I hand load, the ammo selecton is very wide and can take critters from a mouse to deer easily with loads in very light target to 200 grain Hornady FTX at Maxi velocities. A detailed look at this project rifle can be seen here http://www.metalsmithpro.com/357MagnumRifle.htm
Jack

Continuous NRA member since ~1965

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Re: A very Handi Handi
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 08:42:19 AM »
I hate the first reply to be negative, but there's no way I'd clutter up my little maxi with all that extraneous hardware.  The whole point of it is to be fast, light swinging and on target in an instant.  There's no time figured into the formula to drop the bipod, turn on the light, turn on the laser, etc.  Sorry, mine's a point and shoot.

I don't see the point in all that "Tactical" stuff on a Handi.  No one in their right mind is going to go up against full auto battle rifles with a single shot Handi.  Sorry, I'm missing something.  You wanted a compact gun to take camping.....what happened to that idea?  It ain't compact or Handi.

If you want to do something real to that rifle, ream it to Maximum.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 08:56:57 AM »

I always  KRINGE!  when ever I see a barrel chopped-off of every last bit of metal to make the dang barrel as short as is impracticle!

But I do like the .357 Maxi / Magnum / .38 caliber.

And ability to shoot anything from wadcutter .38 (Colt) Shorts ...... to the stoutest .357 Maxi's (mice to bears!), and a great companion piece to a wheelgun ......

I also like the idea of a simple, lightweight, point and shoot utilitarian tool! 

Probably combined with a Choate STORE-ARM.  ;)   (to carry matches, button compass, fishing-snare line, etc).

If it was absolutely necessary

I might put a Surefire [light] bracket on the barrel near the muzzle
(along with a sling and ammo cuff).

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 09:03:40 AM »
I hate the first reply to be negative, but there's no way I'd clutter up my little maxi with all that extraneous hardware.  The whole point of it is to be fast, light swinging and on target in an instant.  There's no time figured into the formula to drop the bipod, turn on the light, turn on the laser, etc.  Sorry, mine's a point and shoot.

I don't see the point in all that "Tactical" stuff on a Handi.  No one in their right mind is going to go up against full auto battle rifles with a single shot Handi.  Sorry, I'm missing something.  You wanted a compact gun to take camping.....what happened to that idea?  It ain't compact or Handi.

Pete

pete.....your scope is too  big

but your right about the MAXI
i did notice he has quick release rings  and a HANDI little red dot
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 09:28:42 AM »
Well, it ain't like is hard to change 'em around to suit your fancy as notions change, except for the length of the chopped barrel, of course.
Its the easy to customize aspect that I think makes these such a neat platform; and as for the tac-look, about the cheapest way to get it nowadays. Not my cup-o-tea but Id be glad to play with it iffn we bumped into each other at the range  ;D .
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline jackddavis

• Avid Poster
    • HMDS
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 09:32:21 AM »
It all comes off to be reconfigured for the occasion. The bipod is for target shooting only. I'd never use it for hunting. The light is for those night-time critters that the dog usually chases into the trees. It can be used for many things. One gun that can do it all, except hold off an army.

Also note that according to this graph (source unkown at this writing) the .357 is at its best in a 16" barrel length with pistol cartridges. And hunting in the Western side of Oregon is in very thick with brush......a short barrel is much better than a long one here. In all my years of hunting, I don't think I have ever made a shot over 100 yards.....and most are at 50 yards or less.
Jack

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 10:37:44 AM »
The short barrel won't hurt you if shots have to be long.  As you've said, you're not losing anything in velocity, and accuracy doesn't suffer at all.  My close shots here are 100+ yards. 

My 20 ga. Compact Pardner Pump wears a light for the same reasons....two and four legged night time predators.

Yeah, the scope's too big for the rifle.  It's what I had.  When I win the lottery, I'll upgrade it.  Don't hold yer breath on that one. ::)

Pete
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline jackddavis

• Avid Poster
    • HMDS
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 11:40:16 AM »

Pete
Pete, I can load to Maximum velocities with the 180 gr. XTP or 200 gr. FTX in the SAAMI chambered H&R without reaming. I've considered reaming....and may at some point, but right now, I don't feel the need. This gun shoots all the bullet wieghts I will ever have a need for, and then some. I also cast my own in 158 gr and can put gas checks on them for full velocity loads. The Hornady 180 gr. XTP over 20 gr. oc IMR 4227 is my favorite hot load. True, I could push it even higher with the Maxi chamber if it has the long throat like the .357 chamber....but, why? A long shot in my part of the country is 100 yards and that load will do nicely even out to 200 yards.
It's a brush hunter when I want it to be. It's a night time pest getter when I want it to be. It's a camper gun when I want it to be. It's a tin can poker when I wat it to be. It's a bench rest paper puncher when I wat it to be. It's a one gun, do everything that I want done. And it's a joy to carry in heavy brush. The only thing it lacks is a 20 ga. barrel for flying birds. And that may be coming.....someday.

Jack

Offline colt1960

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 01:46:08 PM »
Well Jackddavis, Its your rifle and the only one it has to please is you. It is nice when others also like what you create. I like it to. being that Ive done a little coon hunting myself I can see the usefulness in the mounted light for shinning eyeballs in trees at night. The .357 cartridge is a great round for small to large animals. Where did you get the long scope rail you have mounted on the barrel? Have fun with your toy. Rick!

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 02:25:23 PM »
Jack, sorry, I don't mean to sound caustic.  Almost everyone here knows I'm a lazy, grumpy old fart.  I go another route.  All my Handi's are set up for a specific job, all on their own stock and frame.  When I need to shoot, I grab the Handi that's set up for the occasion.  A woodchuck at 400 yards, the .22-250 comes out.  The same critter at 300 and the .223 is used...etc. etc.  I don't want to, or have time to add or subtract gadgets, swap barrels, etc.  All my guns stand loaded and ready all the time.  An unloaded gun is the equivalent of a rock or a club.

Your rifle is a neat thing.  Enjoy it..........Hate to say it again........ream it to Max.

Pete

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 02:34:41 PM »
JD, Im glad to read your load info as I will soon to be joining the ranks of the 357 shooters. Seeing just what the factory chamber will allow me is what I have intended to do right off.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline jackddavis

• Avid Poster
    • HMDS
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 02:51:40 PM »
Jack, sorry, I don't mean to sound caustic. 

No apology necessary, Pete. I know we all have our needs, wants and desires and they are not all the same. I'm an old fart, too, and set in my ways. Several guns are out of the question for me, so I'm trying to do with just the one. I live inb the country and racoons, possums and lots of squirrels are my main concerns. I use a Benjamin Sheridan pumper on the squirrels and even a LCR 22, laser grips, on racoons in trees. The Handi is a toy for the most part. Now that the Handi is finished it will take on a larger role.

I don't consider myself a prepper, but do believe in being prepared to take care of the family for at least 60 days.....just in case the big one hits us. They are expecting a 9.0 off the Coast any time so the Handi may become much "Handier" if that happens. Racoon stew anyone? The camper is always full and ready to go at a moments notice in case of wildfire or other unknown disaster.

gcrank1, I assume most newer Handi's have the same chamber (SAAMI), but be sure to check your chamber before using my loads. Work up slow. But you probably know that already. ;)
Jack

Offline jackddavis

• Avid Poster
    • HMDS
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 02:55:06 PM »
Where did you get the long scope rail you have mounted on the barrel? Have fun with your toy. Rick!

I shopped the internet until I found it. Dpn't remember just where. I wanted a shorter one, but glad I didn't find one. This one turned out to be perfect.
Jack

Offline HWB13

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 03:11:52 PM »
I agree with all.  It's your gun do with it as you please.  I know most here probably think I don't need the big muzzle break I have on my 22-250 (avatar) but I like it.  Most of my bells and whistles hang off my so called tac guns.  And as for short barrels don't have one yet, keyword yet, have plans for a 44 shorty combo.  Just can't see a pratical combo with the ones I have now.  Ya that's hard to believe.  Some like wood some like plastic, we have just had a long thread on the differences. It is what it is.  Show off what your proud of.
Kevin   
Handi's:17 Mach2, 17 HMR,17 WSM, 22LR, 22 Win Mag, 204 Ruger, 22 Hornet UV, 22-250 UV, 25-06, 30-30, 35 Whelen, 30-06, 20gaX2, 20GA ultra Slug, 12ga ultra slug, 12 ga Turkey, H&W 45-70 BC X2, 45 LC CC, 44 Mag, 500 S&W and 140+ non-H&R types

If you have to shoot more than once you should not have shot the first time.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 03:11:57 PM »
[quote auth. or=jackddavis link=topic=281443.msg1099721256#msg1099721256 date=1370633541]
And hunting in the Western side of Oregon is in very thick with brush......
[/quote]

While I don't agree about a shorter barrel, it looks like we're hunting in about the same area.  A .357 will probably take most of the small black tail deer we have here, I prefer to use a .30-30 with a peep sight.

Tony

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 03:26:40 PM »
"work up slow"; Oh for sure, JD, Ive been down the river and over the mountain a time 'r two before  ;)
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline Joe S.

• Trade Count: (30)
  • A Real Regular
  • The poisonous mushroom!
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 06:00:31 AM »
i like it! for night time critters, i have found you almost always need a light.

that long rail is nice too!
Joe S.
Central MS

"An armed society is a polite society."

redistribute work ethic!

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 06:13:38 AM »
Jack,

I like it!  A Swiss Army Knife Handi Rifle. 8)

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline jackddavis

• Avid Poster
    • HMDS
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 07:00:03 AM »
"work up slow"; Oh for sure, JD, Ive been down the river and over the mountain a time 'r two before  ;)

Of interesting note, the .360DW brass is supposed to chamber in the Handi .357 without reaming. If that's true, then it really is a .360DW chamber, not .357 mag. I haven't found any to try, but still looking. That would increase powder room some without modifying the chamber.
Jack

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2013, 07:05:58 AM »
Of interesting note, the .360DW brass is supposed to chamber in the Handi .357 without reaming.

That may be true sometimes, but not for all, I had to trim DW360 brass to chamber in one of my 357 Mag Handi barrels.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline theratdog

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2013, 02:31:24 PM »
frank nice gun. i like my 223 shorty. but here we go again thinking of chopping my 327 or 44mag :o

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2013, 05:19:18 PM »
Similar ballistic tables available for a few other calibers.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/calibers.html

Notice that 223 keeps getting faster with longer barrels.

OK, all factory ammo.  Deliberate reloading with slower powder you can take advantage of longer barrel to get higher velocity.  Right?

Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline Itsricmo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 06:47:13 AM »
I like it! Maybe a little "Tacti-cool" by some regards but I don't see what is so wrong with it... You guys should have seen how I used to have my Mossberg 500 set-up for (censored word) and giggles HD lol You all would have had a heart attack :D

How did you get that (near) full length rail on there? That would be a nice write up to read ;)

Offline jackddavis

• Avid Poster
    • HMDS
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 07:10:04 AM »
How did you get that (near) full length rail on there? That would be a nice write up to read ;)

The rail was flat on the bottom so I used a router mounted on a router table with fence and a round nose bit to put a radius on the bottom where it touched to chamber end. The rear-most screw hole on the gun was in a perfect place and matched the rail hole, so I just drilled it out and tapped it for 10-32 cap screw, then marked the forward end, drilled and tapped for another 10-32 cap screw. I made a shim for the front end, but later found out it wasn't needed. It's screwed down tight to the barrel. To avoid drilling through, I marked the bit using masking tape and drilled slightly more than half-way through. Used a plug and bottom tap to thread the holes. I did have to grind the screws to length. It is solid.
Jack

Offline Itsricmo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 03:13:15 PM »
You did a heck of a good job on that! Especially since everything fit solid to the barrel from the chamber portion to the front. Enough sanding/router/dremel could fix that regardless though I presume
I take it that it holds zero really well since you said it is solid??
I know sometimes that there are some issues with micro sized movements that adjust zero enough to screw it up big..

Offline jackddavis

• Avid Poster
    • HMDS
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 05:19:06 AM »
You did a heck of a good job on that! Especially since everything fit solid to the barrel from the chamber portion to the front. Enough sanding/router/dremel could fix that regardless though I presume
I take it that it holds zero really well since you said it is solid??
I know sometimes that there are some issues with micro sized movements that adjust zero enough to screw it up big..

Yes. It's solid! When I bought this rifle, the scope mount that came with it was loose and holes drilled off center and off to the side as well. And that was a factory job. This picatinney rail is 1000 times better.....solid and straight. No problems with "0".
Jack

Offline Itsricmo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 07:53:55 AM »
I'm glad it has all worked out for you! It's a nice little build and looks great!
Any intentions to have it threaded and suppressed in the future?

Offline jackddavis

• Avid Poster
    • HMDS
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 11:34:34 AM »
I'm glad it has all worked out for you! It's a nice little build and looks great!
Any intentions to have it threaded and suppressed in the future?

No. The thought never entered my mind. Doubtful. The light target loads are very quiet as is (3 gr. Trailboss under 148 gr. HBWC). About like a .22LR.
Jack

Offline Itsricmo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 02:43:32 PM »
Wow, very nice! I would consider it if there is even the faintest chance of purchasing one in the future.
I don't personally have one but I have shot my uncles .300 BLK with a Gemtech and Oh My Sweet Jesus!!!
But that is off topic haha

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 04:17:48 PM »
Thats a nice little website ya got there JD, and that bipod and mount you built is dandy too.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special