Author Topic: Suppressors  (Read 692 times)

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
Suppressors
« on: June 07, 2013, 04:53:02 PM »
Indiana repealed it's total ban on hunting with suppressors as of July 1.  The thought of cutting my 357 Maxi Handi's to 16-17" and having them  threaded for a suppressor is very appealing. :)  Thing is I don't know anything about suppressors. :(  You gents have a good website or resource to educate myself on suppressors? 

My gut tells me  the reality of a suppressed 357 Maxi won't be as good as desired.  But I do want to explore the idea.

Thanks.

Offline Ten Ring

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
Re: Suppressors
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 05:14:25 PM »
Expect to wait about seven months for Federal Stamp after you get all your paper work done localy. I would think the 357 would do guite nice.
Jim
223,22-250,280,270,357m,2-35 whelen,2-444 marlin,3-45/70,45LC,45/70BC.,500SW,35rem,300aac,44mag

Offline 8uck5nort

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
  • Trying to improve myself one shot at a time.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 02:08:40 AM »
Like you I want one, but after finding out what is involved and the cost of doing it I am out of that hunt for now. Still be really cool. Anyway a local gunshop here in Lafayette, Applied Ballistics, sells suppressors cause it is in indoor range, they have em in stock. Here is the what they told me for a 9mm class suppressor. 200.00 Fed stamp and a 6 month wait for the paperwork to clear BATF, even if I bought one that was in their display case. Oh by the way the cheapest 9mm class suppressor I could find started at around 450.00 and they go up from there. Then there is the threading and the cutting of the barrel. Something I would probably farm out due to the threading part. So add another 50 to 100 depending.
If I did buy one of their in stock ones while I was waiting for the paper work to clear I could use it at their range, but they had to retain possession of it once I left the range until the paperwork came back. Then I could keep it on my firearm and walk out with it. Even if you started now you will not probably have one for this years hunting season. The last item if I recall correctly was there is a 5 dollar transfer fee and it must be registered transfer, if you sold the stamp/suppressor to another person. no private sales...
I would find out more by just going or calling a gunshop that sells them. Applied Ballistics and Down by the Tracks Gunshop in Galveston are the two in my area that carry suppressors and would be able to tell exactly what is involved. I am sure they have web sites up or just visit the frienldy BATF gov site and try and decipher thier arcane instructions.
Cartridges for My Entertainment: .22 S,L,LR, .223 Rem, 7x57, 30-06, 8x57, 357 mag/max, 35 Remington/Indiana, 35 Whelen, 44 mag, 445 SM mag. Adding the 6.5x55 swede!

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 02:51:42 AM »
I know nothing about them so someone correct me if I am wrong, but don't the round need to be subsonic for them to really be effective? Would not a really high speed, high pressure round be very hard on the suppressors ? What is the lifespan for a suppressor before it would need to be replaced or reconditioned ?
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 03:24:50 AM »
Rounds need to be subsonic for maximum effectiveness.  If you load supersonics, you still get the crack, but you gain a lowering of the noise even so.  You can still do a lot with subsonic loads with proper bullets though, look at a .45 auto.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline redleg11b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 05:33:05 AM »
My suppressed 223 with 20" barrel using supersonic ammo sounded like a LR HV.  The muzzle blast is tamed considerably.  One thing to consider for suppressong the Maxi is that most 9mm/.357 suppressors are designed for 9mm pressures.  A hot .357 Mag or Maxi could cause damage or void the warranty.  It is always best to find out what the device you are lookin at can handle from the manufacturer.  SilencerTalk is a wealth of information once you filter through some mild language and sometimes blind brand  dogma.  There are other sites as well, but this is where I go to do most of my reading.

I really want rifle cans in 357 and 30 cal too, but I am currently happy with my rimfire and 22cal centerfire cans.
H&R: .223, 20ga, .357, Sportster LR
Cricket LR

Offline Nate C

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 07:09:10 AM »
Indiana repealed it's total ban on hunting with suppressors as of July 1.  The thought of cutting my 357 Maxi Handi's to 16-17" and having them  threaded for a suppressor is very appealing. :)  Thing is I don't know anything about suppressors. :(  You gents have a good website or resource to educate myself on suppressors? 

My gut tells me  the reality of a suppressed 357 Maxi won't be as good as desired.  But I do want to explore the idea.

Thanks.

I did exactly that.  Look for posts under my name and there is a pic here of my 16.5" handi 357.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.
dub dub dub dot nfatalk dot org is a good place to read up.  Start with the FAQs.  AR15 dot com is another ok place, within the armory section under class iii / nfa.
Have fun.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 08:06:30 AM »
my   9mm can  is fitted to a 357 rossi

i shoot  ONLY 38s......even a    light weight 38  is supersonic and not what i want

go heavy  180+   to get power

i suggest a red-dot....as they are the best choice after dark
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 08:15:49 AM »
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline dudel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 07:06:01 AM »
Lots of good info here.  http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/
On my suppressed AR, the cycling bolt makes lots of noise.  When used on a Contender, it's much quieter.  Subsonic rounds bring the sound even lower.  I plan to thread my 22 Hornet and 223 Hindi barrels to use the suppressor currently used on the AR and Contender.
On the AR, it sounds noisy when you're shooting.  If I let a buddy shoot, and stand a few feet behind, it's not much louder that a small nail gun.

Don