Author Topic: steel shot ?  (Read 477 times)

Offline teleman

• Trade Count: (0)
steel shot ?
« on: June 11, 2013, 04:37:57 PM »
Guys, just a question about the new shot in old barrels. Looking at buying a mod 48 Topper 20 gauge. Are the old ones OK for steel shot?
Thanks gents
Stay calm, Be brave, Wait for the signs.

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
Re: steel shot ?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 10:18:41 AM »
Quote from: teleman
Guys, just a question about the new shot in old barrels. Looking at buying a mod 48 Topper 20 gauge. Are the old ones OK for steel shot?
Thanks gents

Probably not!  I wouldn't shoot steel of any kind in it especially if its choked FULL!

Do not overlook this point!  If its FULL choked, only use lead shot in it.

I've lost count of the Model 870 barrels I've seen blown apart (into a "daisy") when choked FULL that was destroyed with steel shot loads!  Problem is that steel shot "bridges" and will not compress like lead when going through a conventional choke.

IMP CYL or MODIFIED should be okay.

If its choked MODIFIED, I would still tread lightly with shooting a lot of steel in that [older]barrel.

H&R offers a couple 'heavier' barrels through their Barrel Accessory Porgram specially for shooting with steel shot.  Take a look at those!

Offline teleman

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 06:22:39 AM »
Thanks muchly
Cabela's sells NEF Pardners for $189. That's probably the way for me to go.
Stay calm, Be brave, Wait for the signs.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 06:30:31 AM »
Just an FYI....H&R hasn't made an NEF branded product for several years, only H&Rs since about 2008.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 09:23:50 AM »
What I have seen is the barrels not made for steel shot will ring in front of the choke. If there is a vent rib often it come loose. That is with Browning's and Remington's , they have cut chokes . Single shots often have swaged chokes and they get the choke spread out  with enough shooting. I have seen barrels with groves cut in them from steel shot going thru. them. But I have not seen one blown apart. When steel first came out there was little or no protective shot cups todays steel loads have good protective shot cups some with bag type sleeve to protect barrels. Newer barrels are stronger and thicker and resist ringing . I have an 870 with a fixed  full choke that has had hundreds of steel loads thru. it with out damage. One option is to have an extended choke installed and it will work fine on guns with thicker barrels.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !