Author Topic: Wad Cutter  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Draxx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Wad Cutter
« on: June 15, 2013, 12:01:11 PM »
 Getting low on wads, I hit the local cloth/arts and crafts store. I found they had some wool felt that was almost 1/8 thick. I purchased a half a yard of the stuff, which I then stiffened with a cornstarch dip.

I drilled out a .45 acp case I had to run a bolt through the primer pocket, screwed it in and chucked it up in the drill press. A bit of sharpening on the case mouth with a fine file and it is off to the races. Total cost about $5.00 for the cloth and cornstarch. Probably enough materials of a thousand (i.e lifetime supply) of wads.

Offline hillbill

Re: Wad Cutter
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 12:43:20 PM »
i make mine out of old felt hats, then soak them in some heated lube.work good in my ROA.

Offline Draxx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 01:45:18 PM »
 A bit of online research showed me that hat makers stiffened felt with cornstarch, so that is the way I went. In effect, I made a half yard of hat felt :)

Offline Macthediver

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 04:49:24 AM »
So are you lubing these wads at all or just using the starch? What is the thickness of the felt your getting off the roll? is it the same as the small 12 inch squares most craft stores sell? I like the drill press idea. I bet if you stacked the felt you could cut the full depth of the casing in one shot. Small hole off the side you could push the whole pile out.
Mac
"Never Forget Which Way Is Up!"

Offline Draxx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 03:01:31 PM »
 This was in a large roll at a cloth type store, so I bought half a yard. It is very close to 1/8 " thick. I soaked it in a corn starch/water "soup" and allowed it to dry. That stiffened it up prior to cutting it.

I quickly figured out the flaw in my shell casing idea and dremeled a slot on the side of the shell to push the cut wads out without unchucking the shell casing from the drill.

I have lubed the ones I have made in my bore butter concoction I use (Crisco/bees wax/dash of Ballistol).

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 07:09:16 AM »
are you sure it is 100% natural matierials? a lot of the small square ones are various poly's that would create a mess when they melt in the barrel

duro-felt has some for sale here

http://www.durofelt.com/image_26.html

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 07:59:16 AM »
duro-felt has some for sale here

I get all my felt needs from them!  Good products and nice folk.  Seems to me they used to have a product that they marked as being for revolver wads...  :-\
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Draxx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 10:55:52 AM »
 This was in a large roll at a cloth type store, so I bought half a yard....yes, it was 100% wool felt, or so the label on the roll said. As it was a simple experiment and I  happened to be dragged along to the cloth store by my better half, I got some. Seems to have worked, required no mail order or huge quantities of Durafelt that I will never use up. Win-win I would say :)