Author Topic: Walther Talon Magnum in 25cal  (Read 2480 times)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Walther Talon Magnum in 25cal
« on: June 16, 2013, 01:19:19 AM »
Morning guys,
 HAPPY FATHERS DAY to all the ''dads'' out there!

I am looking at one of these rifles. I am liking the power and looking to step into the 25 cal for bigger critters. This one has been tuned and being made by Hatsan, I read that they are known for a couple minor problems. First lots of debris in tube and the second is poor seals. BOTH of these have been addressed and cleaned/replaced. The gun is supposed to be a great shooter and a power house at 30fpe.
Any experience with this model or a Hatsan in .25 or any .25cal in general?

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline JonnyReb

• Trade Count: (89)
  • Where is John Galt?
Re: Walther Talon 25cal
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 03:05:51 AM »
 Well.. i got a feeling there may be few takers. They're still a virtual unknown here in the US, although theres guys who might have used a daisy or winchester brand pellet rifle and not realized it was a Hatsan.

I've had a couple of the .25's and a .22, all talons. The 3 rifles amazed me in that they all made identicle ftlbs, all were very very accurate and i guess best of all, are the most powerful springer you could ever hope for. True hammers. They are also quite long, at about 49" and are fairly heavy but for whatever reason balance out pretty good, i'd rather carry the hatsan around than a RWS magnum anyday. My .22 talon is my go-to springer.

The one thing i'll add is that the .25 may not be as viable a hunter as the .22.
 Since they work off the same powerplant, the heavier,larger diameter .25 projectile is slower and doesn't penatrate as well as the .22 and i think the .22 is the way to go. I too wanted the .25 to be better but in the end i had to concede the .22 was a better choice for med sized critter like coon or possums. The .25 just doesn't penatrate deep enough to kill as humanely as the .22 in my opinion. For target or plinking or small stuff like squirrels, either would be fine.  .25 and pellets of 25ish gr.'s of weight seem to realy start to come into their own around 900fps plus.. precharged pneumatic territory.  The .25 talon is most impressive on a aluminum can though i promise you.:)
                                          J

Active trader until 9-11-14 GB

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 04:04:24 AM »
Thanks Jeff!  I was just going to PM you as I remember your telling me you had a WTM in.22.

I agree in many cases unless unless you can break into that 1000fps realm the .22 is a better bet.

Maybe I am wrong but at the cost to me, it seems a no brainer. With the tune the biggest complaint has been rectified. ;)

The fact that it also includes 3/4 tins of pellets is a plus and BTw price includes shipping to me!!

I hope to see it by the holiday weekend. But it dosent matter too much as I have every non working daylight hour spoken for thru first week in July! ::) ::) ::)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 07:18:26 AM »
I was on pyramid air last night and altho they whee out of stock on my favorites inward able to buy 6 tins and get two free!

I should see them before the rifle arrives!  So I will be more then reeady! ::)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
Re: Walther Talon Magnum in 25cal
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 04:27:22 AM »
Well my new to me Talon should be here later next week.  My pellet selections arrived yesterday. Man these buggers are BIG!!  :o :o :o I bought some FTT in 20g some Exact Kings in 25.4g, some Crow magnums in 26.25g and some RWS super domes in 32g.

My question is scopes. I understand this is a scope eater! I have a BSA 2x7 airgun scope that I was gonna mount.... Now in reading I'm thinking that I better buy a Hawke. I remember Jonny telling me how durable the Hawke line was for airguns. SO for the time being I will pull the Hawke off the Longbow for the Walther and use the BSA on the Longbow. Then later buy another Hawke with a mil dot reticule and remount on Webly.

What do you guys think?

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline dwalk

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 05:59:36 AM »
Well.. i got a feeling there may be few takers. They're still a virtual unknown here in the US, although theres guys who might have used a daisy or winchester brand pellet rifle and not realized it was a Hatsan.

I've had a couple of the .25's and a .22, all talons. The 3 rifles amazed me in that they all made identicle ftlbs, all were very very accurate and i guess best of all, are the most powerful springer you could ever hope for. True hammers. They are also quite long, at about 49" and are fairly heavy but for whatever reason balance out pretty good, i'd rather carry the hatsan around than a RWS magnum anyday. My .22 talon is my go-to springer.

The one thing i'll add is that the .25 may not be as viable a hunter as the .22.
 Since they work off the same powerplant, the heavier,larger diameter .25 projectile is slower and doesn't penatrate as well as the .22 and i think the .22 is the way to go. I too wanted the .25 to be better but in the end i had to concede the .22 was a better choice for med sized critter like coon or possums. The .25 just doesn't penatrate deep enough to kill as humanely as the .22 in my opinion. For target or plinking or small stuff like squirrels, either would be fine.  .25 and pellets of 25ish gr.'s of weight seem to realy start to come into their own around 900fps plus.. precharged pneumatic territory.  The .25 talon is most impressive on a aluminum can though i promise you. :)
                                          J

i think i'd have to go along with that as far as 'springers' are concerned...but in PCP the 25's, and larger, are devastatingly effective on bigger game...

i have 22 & 25 in PCP and up to 22 in gas rams/NP...the gas ram/NP are great in up to 22 from what i've experienced.

any time you can move a 14.3 grain (or heavier) pellet at speeds exceeding 800-850 fps, you've got a hammer...my Beeman RX, 20 cal, gas piston will move a 14.3 at nearly 900 fps...it shatters bone of rabbit at 60 yds...
don't squat while wearing your spurs...will rogers

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 11:13:33 AM »

Since they work off the same powerplant, the heavier,larger diameter .25 projectile is slower and doesn't penatrate as well as the .22 and i think the .22 is the way to go. I too wanted the .25 to be better but in the end i had to concede the .22 was a better choice for med sized critter like coon or possums. The .25 just doesn't penatrate deep enough to kill as humanely as the .22 in my opinion. For target or plinking or small stuff like squirrels, either would be fine.  .25 and pellets of 25ish gr.'s of weight seem to realy start to come into their own around 900fps plus.. precharged pneumatic territory.  The .25 talon is most impressive on a aluminum can though i promise you. :)   J

I think i'd have to go along with that as far as 'springers' are concerned...but in PCP the 25's, and larger, are devastatingly effective on bigger game...

I have 22 & 25 in PCP and up to 22 in gas rams/NP...the gas ram/NP are great in up to 22 from what i've experienced.

Any time you can move a 14.3 grain (or heavier) pellet at speeds exceeding 800-850 fps, you've got a hammer...my Beeman RX, 20 cal, gas piston will move a 14.3 at nearly 900 fps...it shatters bone of rabbit at 60 yds...

I really like the finish on the upper end Beeman rifles. One day I will splurge on a R series and defineately it will be in .20 cal!!

Currently my top preforming 22 is my RWS 34 it does 740fps with a 14.3 for 17.5 fpe. (good power for my for many years now) When I get back my Steroid Sheridan it will/should do 620-630fps with a 28g Eunjin for 26 fpe. (lots of pumping) This Talon has been chronographed at 850fps W/20g for 32 fpe.  :o :o Big step up in power!

A disco is in my future too. Ill tune that to be a honest 30 fpe gun too. It will be primary hunting with the 25 Talon as for bigger critters. At least thats the plan.  ::) ::) ;) ;) ;)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 03:18:58 PM »
The Talon has arrived!  :P :P :P :P

WOW ITS FREAKING HUGE!!!  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[  Took a couple shots with open sites and Benji pellets. I could cover it with a quarter off hand at 15 yrds. Not too bad! The stock is long for me and it surely do jump allot! Trigger not bad, but long and a bit spongy.

I mounted the Hawke 3x9 HD with Center point weaver rings. First problem was the ring spacing... Walther dosen't really want us to use weaver rings...  :-X The don't have placement rear enough to let you get proper eye relief, made worse by the too long of a stock. Almost 15'' LOP.  :o :o I mounted both rings in front of the turret hanging the back of the scope. May not be a good thing with the recoil of this thing.

With the scope and the same Benji pellets it shoots into one 1/2'' hole at 15 yards!

I was dying to see what a Eunjin did to a 2x4.. Shoots RIGHT THRU is what it does!  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ More later, it was a long day, and longer week. time for a shower. ;) ;) Hope to get it sited at 25 yards this weekend. If things work out, I  have a ''task'' for it next week. A friend has a small pond with some musk rat problems.

I thought about that scope last night and this AM running errands... 

So, I pulled it back apart and tried a couple different ring combos. I first thought maybe three Weaver 3/8'' ''22'' rings... I stripped two base screws mounting it!!  I re-tapped them with a longer 8x32 screw. Then found out the scope hit.  :o :o I was worried about the scope moving and the 3/8 grooves lack of a recoil shoulder. The Talon has two tapped holes in the base. So using a 6x32 Allen head cap screw. I made a recoil stop.

Looking at my light, I did not want to add any undue stress to the scope so I re mounted the light to the base with a 45degree base. (With the weaver rings I decided against.)

I then tried some Burris 22 rings. These where perfect, allowing a few thousandths clearance at the objective means the scope is as lo to the stock as possible helping with good cheek weld and shooting ergonomics.

Then I re sited it in with the EunJin pellets.

This is five shots at 15 feet

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 08:33:46 PM »
 On the Eun Jin pellets...

About 15 years ago I spoke with Jim Maccari about a spring kit for my RWS 48 in .22 cal. In the course of the conversation pellet weight came up and he advised against heavy pellets in order to get the most efficiency and spring life in my rifle, or any other spring gun for that matter.

I can't really say if that's gospel truth or not; I just took him at his word since he knows a lot more about spring guns than most folks.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 11:52:57 PM »
On the Eun Jin pellets...

About 15 years ago I spoke with Jim Maccari about a spring kit for my RWS 48 in .22 cal. In the course of the conversation pellet weight came up and he advised against heavy pellets in order to get the most efficiency and spring life in my rifle, or any other spring gun for that matter.

I can't really say if that's gospel truth or not; I just took him at his word since he knows a lot more about spring guns than most folks.

Thank you brother, I am aware and have read a couple postings of the increased fatigue created by firing a heaver pellet in a springer... I belive it to be a real consideration, but should be weighed against the perticular gun. This is a BEAST of a air rifle with a main spring that could be used in a vehicle suspension!!  :o LOL  Its a truly HUGE spring, its also not expensive or hard to change out if it ever does loose power. This Talon has also been tuned.

Now in my Long bow and RWS34, I'll stick to slightly heavy pellets and avoid the heavies. Springs are still a consumable. But these guns altho considered a bit higher powered lack the beastly brutality of the Talons spring.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline JonnyReb

• Where is John Galt?
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 10:50:37 AM »
 Hey CW!  just wondering if you'd made out well with the Talon? I'd been away from the site for awhile but saw this when i checked back in, just wanted to ask. My .22 talon is still doing great and is still my favorite springer for protecting the chicken coop..my only springer now actually. Is the hawke scope still holding up?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 05:36:16 AM »
Hey CW!  just wondering if you'd made out well with the Talon? I'd been away from the site for awhile but saw this when i checked back in, just wanted to ask. My .22 talon is still doing great and is still my favorite springer for protecting the chicken coop..my only springer now actually. Is the hawke scope still holding up?
Hello Jeff!

YES I like the Hawke and actually have purchased two more of them JUST because I like the one I got form you so much!!!

The WTM is a BIG GUN!!  The LOP is so freakin long that I do not shoot it much. Its uncomfortable. But at 31-33FPE it is a BEAST!!!
I haven't been shooting anything but my PCPs lately!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline JonnyReb

• Where is John Galt?
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 02:15:10 PM »
  I agree  ;D  its a huge rifle. Anything over 4 feet long and 9lbs qualifies   :P 

Had it out just last night before dark and put 25 or so pellets through it out at 35 yards or so,  the thing really kicks! not painfully but enough to know its there. A tune would calm it down but its so consistent over the chrony that i won't touch it till it blows a seal. Was gratified to see those .22 pellets ripping through 2 layers of heavy cardboard, 4" of styrofoam and 2 more layers of cardboard like it wasn't even there. Accurate too, amazingly so considering the power. Is leaned up near the backdoor now with a tin of JSB diablo heavies. It is serious 3am "possum in the henhouse" medicine :)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 07:54:06 PM »
Mine has been tuned, it shoots hard and smoothly. I like everything but its LOP. The weight is actually nice for a steady shot! Its just so HONKIN LONG!!!  Not OAL, just LOP and NO way to easily make it comfortable.

The tune increased vel and energy as well as smoothness. I don't remember the seal used, but it was one of the best available. Mostly it was done because of the complaints of junk left in the Hatsan rifles and that causing seal failures. ;) It was pretty clean, but the seal was not great, that was nearly new with a couple hundred shots thru it. The guy I bought it form did the tune, really just a clean out, quick polish and seal change. Not a all out tune. But it made better then a 12-15% increase in performance.

It pales to my Marauder 25. ::)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline JonnyReb

• Where is John Galt?
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 02:49:12 AM »
 Certainly that .25 Mrod is more powerful, due to the heavier projectile but if i remember right, your 3k psi Mrod does 45ftlbs? The 22 version did 32ftlbs?  For the spring powered Hatsan to make 30ftlbs in either caliber is darned impressive.  8)  Your Mrod is a whisper quiet and much smoother rifle of course, the hatsan is a rattletrap  ;D

Just ordered a red dot for my Talon, i've never hear of anyone putting one on theirs but for my purposes its gonna work great. So long as it doesn't shake apart. Will know soon.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 08:39:49 AM »
That WOULD be great, IF it can hold up...  ::) ::) :o I would like to know if it can too!!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline JonnyReb

• Where is John Galt?
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 09:47:19 AM »
 I'll let you know. Just went with a leapers but it has a positive mix of great price, great reviews and everything they make is airgun rated. Should do fine, although i've seen where the 5moa dot is too large for precision shooting. Will report on it after trying it out.

Ran across you on the "gateway to air" site and man do you have a LOT of pelletguns!   ;D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2019, 05:29:42 AM »
Let's bring this one back up and see if folks might want to talk more about it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2021, 07:58:40 AM »
Mine is now owned by my Brother-in-law.

NRA LIFE Member