Author Topic: Slighly off topic help wanted  (Read 645 times)

Offline HWB13

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Slighly off topic help wanted
« on: June 16, 2013, 03:34:41 PM »
 I know this is the centerfire forum, but over the last few months I have grown to respect the opinions and advice that I have heard and got from the shooter in this forum. Some of you know of the shotgun my wife bought me for my birthday last year.  So yes this is a shotgun question, if you have to boot me to another forum OK, but I hope the wealth of your knowledge will follow me there. I did post it on the shotgun forum but that forum had it last post almost a week ago, I know most of us are on here and post almost daily Thanks Kevin
Copy from the Shotgun and Wingshooters Forum
I have an old (real old) Sexton side by side with exterior hammers and double trigger.  My question goes out to field shooters.  Having never used an exterior hammer sxs before, what is the easiest way to fire in a field type upland bird scenario.  After a day on the range I was still having a little trouble getting used to the hammer cock and trigger set, more so, on the left barrel and rear trigger.  After I got home , I was running scenario after  scenario through my head.  What if I cocked the left barrel during the presentation, then it would be easier to cock the right barrel from the shoulder if a follow up shot was needed.  What do you think?  I’m hoping someone has more experience with this one than I do.
My second question is, this gun does not have ejectors or extractors and the spent shells don’t drop out freely.  I have not measured the chamber yet, probably should.  But I’m wondering if a simple chamber polish job would do the trick or if I would have to go more extreme.  I’m shooting Baschieri & Pellagri  12 ga 2 ½” , 1oz ,#7’s at 1160 fps.  I hope someone has an answer for this one to.  I really enjoyed shooting it and would hate the thought of walking around the woods with a 30 inch stick to remove spent shells. :(

Kevin   
Handi's:17 Mach2, 17 HMR,17 WSM, 22LR, 22 Win Mag, 204 Ruger, 22 Hornet UV, 22-250 UV, 25-06, 30-30, 35 Whelen, 30-06, 20gaX2, 20GA ultra Slug, 12ga ultra slug, 12 ga Turkey, H&W 45-70 BC X2, 45 LC CC, 44 Mag, 500 S&W and 140+ non-H&R types

If you have to shoot more than once you should not have shot the first time.

Offline Lonegun1894

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
Re: Slighly off topic help wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 05:08:49 PM »
I used to have a SxS "derringer"-type handgun chambered in .410 that had a dished out area on top of each chamber made for you to be able to hook your thumbnail on the rim and pull it out that way, but I never could get it to actually work the way the manufacturer said to for a range session cause after a few shots my fingers felt like I was trying to tear the nails off.  So the few times I used it, I would just use a pen or other short stick to ram the empties out, which was much easier on me since this useless monstrosity only had 4" barrels.  It was also rifled for the last 1/2" of the barrel, which did nothing for accuracy when shooting .45 Colt, but was apparently enough to make the patterns a bad joke.  I sold it to a man who said his stock pond was infested with snakes and he was worried about stepping on one while fishing.  I hope it serves him better than it did me, but I did tell him why I was selling it and he was still nice enough to give me what I had in the gun, and I threw in the .410 shells I had for it.  Anyway, the notches worked, kind of, and if you don't shoot much, they may be a solution, but not one I recommend if you fire more than a handful of shots.

Offline squirrelslayer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 11:43:36 PM »
No clue in regards to the extraction of spent hulls but when fielding a double hammer gun I personally rest my thumb between the hammers as I walk. Becomes very instinctual to back the left hammer while shouldering and in my case, keeps my finger off the trigger as well. Now finding the correct trigger can take some people surprisingly long to figure but with practice is a breeze. A little more detail, I keep it against the right hammer as to keep it located in case one gets up a little further out. Mine is IMP left MOD right.
I hate when i miss. But when I do, I can always come up with a reason why.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 08:43:12 AM »
Spent shell I've no idea, would have to see the gun.

As for which barrel to use first.  Check the chokes and see if they are differant.  In most cases I have found the left barrel has a more open choke than the right one.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 03:11:41 PM »
OK, first... I'm left handed.  Used a double hammer gun for years.   Carried with hammers down and left thumb sorta between the hammers or over the right one when close.   Cocked it as I brought it up to point and shoot.  Never thought about carrying it cocked. Cocked and used the right barrel first, then the left.  Don't remember ever missing a shot because I cocked separately.  Cocking both together is very clumsy.  But, I never hunted anything dangerous with that shotgun.

Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline HWB13

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 04:16:56 PM »
  But, I never hunted anything dangerous with that shotgun.

I think I'll Try that, we have some real dangerous chuckers and pheasants up this way ;D ;D ;D
Kevin   
Handi's:17 Mach2, 17 HMR,17 WSM, 22LR, 22 Win Mag, 204 Ruger, 22 Hornet UV, 22-250 UV, 25-06, 30-30, 35 Whelen, 30-06, 20gaX2, 20GA ultra Slug, 12ga ultra slug, 12 ga Turkey, H&W 45-70 BC X2, 45 LC CC, 44 Mag, 500 S&W and 140+ non-H&R types

If you have to shoot more than once you should not have shot the first time.