Author Topic: Steel Shot And Forcing Cones  (Read 1162 times)

Offline 10ga.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Steel Shot And Forcing Cones
« on: February 23, 2004, 12:06:32 PM »
WNY_Whitetailer Wrote...  

The forcing cone is the constriction at the end of the chamber that forces the load down from chamber size to the size of your shotgun bore. If you hold the barrel up, point the muzzle toward the light and look through it from the chamber end, the forcing cone will appear as a short, dark ring, dark because the angle of the short forcing cone is severe and is hidden from the light. The distance from the beginning to the end is about 1/4". Most barrels come from the factory with this abrupt constriction, or forcing cone.

When the shotgun is fired, the shot load is immediately FORCED, under tremendous pressure, to squeeze through the abrupt forcing cone to the smaller size of the bore. This results in some of the lead shot becoming deformed, making them ballistically unsound and causing them to fly out of the pattern. Lengthening the forcing cone by changing the abrupt angle to a more gentle, gradual constriction results in a new length of around 1 3/4". This optimum new length allows the shot to make a more gradual transition from chamber to bore size, reducing shot deformation and allowing more of the shot to remain in the pattern.

After reading this earlier post  I got to wondering about the effect on an unmodified forcing cone from constantly firing steel shot through it. It seems to me that steel slamming into steel over a long period of time would have to change the angle of the forcing cone somewhat.
Any opinions on this?
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 12:31:54 PM »
:D  :D well you sure would think so, i have never bothered to think about that before. i know steel will open up a full choke after a while, but i almost dont think the cone has an abrupt enough constriction to do it. wow but it might, i will have to look around and see if i can find any info on it. then again its thicker metal then at the end of the barrel. So maybe it can take it??? You KINDA Got Me On This one.   :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  you got me really thinking now. i will try to find some kinda of answer for you. but for now i kinda have to go with " I Don't Know". :oops:  :oops:  :oops:
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 06:39:32 AM »
I posted this question on another site to see what I came up with...Seems that some people have no issue with damage to their forcing cone after thousnds of shots of hevi-shot or steel...Others claim that the steel caused linear marks on their forcing cone.  I have no personal experience with steel or hevi-shot so I cannot comment from my own experiences.  I only know what I am being told.  Take those comments I posted with a grain of salt.

You may want to have the forcing cone lengthened and polished.  That would remove the abrupt constriction in the barrel and smooth the transition out.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 11:47:50 AM »
i cant find much for info. but i did take a very good look at my good old 15 y/o mossberg 500 that has shot so MUCH steel in its life i could not begin to count.  and there is no sign of any damage to the force cone.  now i guess that is all i can say. i My sp10 shows no sign either, but its not that old, so it does not prove much. i guess we will have to wait and see if anyone who knows comes along.

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 01:07:57 PM »
 Hey guys!   It is hard to find shotgun shells today that don't have a plastic shot cup.   Therefore, you don't have steel against steel... it's steel against plastic against steel and that cushions the shot and stops the damage or at least lessens it tremendously.

:sniper:
Deactivated as trouble maker

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 03:28:11 PM »
well yes the plastic helps, but we are talking steel, and if it will open a full choke up, then why not a force cone?? i really dont know myself, but this has really got me thinking now.

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 05:05:40 PM »
I have yet to see a shotgun barrel that wasn’t thicker at the chamber and forcing cone than at the choke.    There could be some but I have never seen any.    Also, the shot has built up momentum at the choke that isn’t there at the forcing cone, which will also have an effect.

:sniper:
Deactivated as trouble maker