Author Topic: XDM 5.25 vs Glock 34 vs M&P Pro 5"  (Read 1154 times)

Offline kmittleman

• Trade Count: (0)
XDM 5.25 vs Glock 34 vs M&P Pro 5"
« on: June 18, 2013, 07:32:56 PM »
Hey Folks,

I'm trying to decide on one of these for a new 9mm target gun. I'm leaning towards the Glock but I hear that they can't shoot lead bullets, and are more prone to go kaboom than the others. I hear the M&P 9mm's can be spotty in the accuracy dept. The XDM's I hear have lousy triggers. Which one do you like and why?

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
Re: XDM 5.25 vs Glock 34 vs M&P Pro 5"
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 02:53:35 AM »
I don't own any of the above, but here's my take: Trigger problems can be fixed, the other issues you mention really cannot.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 11:09:04 AM »
XDs might have trigger issues I dunno but the XDM is set up for match shooting and while the trigger isn't like a S&W revolver it's pretty darn good for a semiauto. I sure can't blame any of my misses on the trigger of my XDM 5.25 in .45acp.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 01:04:03 PM »
Yeah my xd had a trigger slightly behind a glock. Wouldn't say it was lousy, just needed a little polishing. Concentrating on the factory pull you could feel just a hint of creep right before it breaks, then a little overtravel after the break.
 The xdm has a better trigger than a glock plus a match barrel. The glock has a better aftermarket catering. You can get about anything for one. Not much out there for the xd. I bought my xd when springfield announced they would be coming out with a 22 conversion. Still waiting 7 years later and sold the gun at the first of the year.
You're right on no lead in the glock, would have to spend another hundred for an aftermarket barrel if you wanted to shoot lead. I've heard of some fellas shooting very hard cast lead like lythotype in them though.
Never shot an m&p, no idea about them. If I wasn't going to mess with it at all and shoot only centerfire, then I'd go xdm.
If I wanted to put in a bigger slide release, rimfire practice, a lower poundage disconecter, bigger magwell base and so on would go with the glock.
Molon labe

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 07:11:38 AM »
Having owned two of the guns referenced, and having shot all three fairly extensively, my observations are as follows:
XDM5.25: not a bad trigger for a striker fired gun. Good accuracy and decent sights. Decent ergonomics.  M&P 5" Pro: Best ergonomics of the three, great trigger with the Apex system, great accuracy. Glock 34: (My Choice) Great accuracy, stock trigger can be tuned to be almost as good as the M&P. Mine is a fairly crisp 3# with minimal over travel.  Not the best ergonomics, but anyone can learn to live with it. Although I don't condone it, many, myself included, shoot lead bullets through the stock Glock barrels. I've got roughly 22k rounds through the 34. All three of these pistols are about as reliable as a mechanical thing can be. The availability of after market and factory parts is also a factor in my decision. If I ever have to fight with a handgun, it'll be a Glock, so that's what I shoot in IDPA/USPSA. If that were not a factor, I'd be looking closely at the M&P line. Good luck making your decision!
Savage

An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 09:23:43 AM »
I have the XDM and love it.  Of the three, it was the only one (with the small handle inserts) that my wife could handle.  It has the highest magazine capacity 18+1 if that interests you.  Easy to dissasimble (sp?), no safety to fool with.  Safety is at the base of the thumb, like the 1911.  You have to have it held properly to fire.  Well I like it anyways. 

Offline ShootnStr8

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 03:14:36 PM »
I love my XDM 5.25 45.  Installing Power River's ultimate XDM Match Target Trigger Kit took it to the next level. It is awesome!

Here is information from the website and it corresponds to my experience with the kit.

contains our famous striker safety lever, to remove the long trigger pre-travel on the XDM trigger. Reduced power trigger and sear springs, to lower the pull weight. Our new sear that has a patented angle to help lighten the pull and give a smooth crisp break and our new trigger. The trigger is made of tough light weight polymer that helps speed up the reset. It also has an integral over travel stop on the back of the trigger. Using this method of over travel stop removes added stress on the trigger bar that are present with any of the other over travel stop method. When installed correctly, the kit will give you a short crisp trigger pull (about 3.5-4lbs) with a fast reset and reduces the long trigger pull by about 1/2.”

The installation isn't too difficult when following the You Tube videos.  I highly recommend both the XDM and the kit. 

Blessings!

ShootnStr8
There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 12:59:45 AM »
im a glock fan but for target work id probably go with the M&P. it just points more naturally and feels better in the hand to me and is probably going to be the more accurate gun. Glocks will shoot lead but it takes a bit more fooling around and harder alloys to keep from leading and im still squeamish about shooting full power handloads in them with fired brass. Also most who ive come across that use them in shooting competitions are using aftermarket barrels because there a bit easier to deal with lead and do have a supported chamber. So the few bucks you save buying a glock would be washed out when you have to get a barrel. Like i said i love my glocks but to me there use is self protection because of there reliability and for rolling beer cans at the range just to put a smile on my face.
blue lives matter