Author Topic: GBO handi  (Read 6135 times)

Offline littledog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • I am a big dog I am a big dog
GBO handi
« on: June 21, 2013, 11:26:26 AM »
Burning a 17 hour drive home from one of the prettiest place I have seen. I got to thinking about all I have read reread on the GBO handi forum. The number of handis members that post here own is amazing and says a lot about H&R and their product. I think I seen in a post where H&R would make handis for an order for 250 guns if they already made it or 500 for a special gun design.  Why not a GBO handi I know each member here has their own perfect handi in mind. Maybe someday we could make the GBO handi happen. Here are a few of my ideas for the GBO handi please feel free to add your own

Woodstock like on the BC with a GBO gold coin in the stock or GBO carved in the stock
Soft rubber recoil pad instead of metal plate for us people more in touch with our sensitive side
Open sights and scope mounts good for all shooters that’s handi
18 inch barrel or shorter for a true handi rifle
Blonde wood for unique look
Caliber??
I would like to see 460 S&W it could shoot mild 45 long colt to wild 460 S&W with 454 Casull in the middle. Something for everyone. One gun that can shoot three calibers now that’s handi
Stainless barrel and frame less cleaning that’s handi         
DON’T get in a gun fight with a buffalo hunter there is no such thing as cover against a 45 70

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: GBO handi
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 12:06:57 PM »
i like the idea  of the 460 smith......but not for the GBO special

only  357 MAX,  30-30,  or 45-70 would do for  a GBO gun

a light 20  inch barrel.......[tho i would prefer 16]

long picatiny rail for a scout xcope...would be nice

if i want iron sights......i carry a hand gun with'm.....don't want them on my rifle

speaking of that handgun.....maybe caliber  needs to be 357  mag/MAX

GBO  member probly  make up  HALF of all the 357 MAX   users  world wide
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline littledog

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 12:56:03 PM »
 Maybe we should all e mail starline to make 357 max brass half the world can’t be wrong ;D  ;D ;D        

DON’T get in a gun fight with a buffalo hunter there is no such thing as cover against a 45 70

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 01:07:53 PM »
You'd never get 250 people here to agree on caliber/stock combo. The best chance would be an 18" 357 Max with BC stocks.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 01:11:15 PM »
You'd never get 250 people here to agree on caliber/stock combo.

What DB said, we've been there, tried it before.  :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline watsisname

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 01:15:55 PM »
. 357 Max, BC stock set and GBO medallion in the buttstock. That would be sweeeet!

Offline Groo

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 01:54:08 PM »
Groo here
 I will start the signup with this--- A rifle like the AAC 300  Blackhawk Handie but in 357mag [max if we can send them the reemer.
 Short black stock and with an SB-2 frame......
 The other one would be a 45-70 with a 20 inch barrel, peep sight and full length forend.....in wood , laminate would be ok if brown...
 Put me down for two of either or one of each

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 02:11:49 PM »
Oh boy....
Here we go again......
Not that its a bad idea, its just that like an internet myth the notion regularly makes the cycle here; and as much as we like the 'Handi-Rifle' that seems to be about where consensus ends  :P .
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline littledog

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 02:28:24 PM »
 Its sounds like this topic might fit the definition of insanity I love being insane     

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 03:12:54 PM »
I like the idea of the .357 max but I'd rather have a 22" barrel and a thumb hole stock.

Tony

Offline Flynmoose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 03:40:43 PM »
I think the best thing about the Handi rifle is that they are affordable and easy to customize and make them your "own".
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline YRUpunting?

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 03:50:01 PM »
One of the many great things about this forum is the diversity of respectful opinion.  I don't think we could get 250 of us to agree who makes the best 357 Maximum brass, and as far as I know only Remington still manufactures it.  The only way there will ever be a GB Handi is if one of us wins the lottery and buys the custom rifles and offers them at a discount that no one could pass up.  I guarantee THAT would not be without a lot of different opinion either!

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 04:11:46 PM »
Of course this is another "pipe dream" but it is fun to play... I am sure that the .357 Max would be a hit in a BC set with GBO medallion... but I think that a 7X57 Mannlicher with the same medallion would be a sweet rig, and I would be buying more than one.
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 04:26:54 PM »
or. . . . .

maybe. . . . .

gbo stock sets?    one synthetic with a blackened medalion,
and one good wood with a gold embelished medalion with
proper forearms?   :-\    :o    ???
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline ulav8r

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 04:31:13 PM »
How about a GBO SB2 receiver only, engraved.  Then each buyer could get the barrel and stocks they prefer.

Offline scratchmark

• Trade Count: (90)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 04:34:01 PM »
how about just a GBO stock set that could be added to any handi to make any caliber a very special edition.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should atleast find ya handi

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 04:36:41 PM »
my thinking was that a stock set could
be sold here without involving an f.f.l.
with no more paperwork than buying
a t-shirt online/mail order.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 04:37:30 PM »
Forget the whole rifle Idea for a moment. How about doing it by PARTS ? If we just looked at stocks/ forearms as one item, perhaps some standard engraving features on standard SB2 frames ? How about getting some accessory barrels that could be easily reamed to different chambers ? right now if you find an '06 barrel, that is what it is. If you started with a 30 carbine chamber you could make any 30 cal out of it. Maybe we could get a deal just on barrels. The problem I have always had is that people are always wanting bigger chambers, and they can ream them, but I have a heck of a time trying to shrink 'em. ???
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline littledog

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 04:51:42 PM »
  Great ideas if Jonny Cash can build a Cadillac one piece at a time we can build a handi ;)  ;)

Offline YRUpunting?

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 04:59:48 PM »
Great ideas if Jonny Cash can build a Cadillac one piece at a time we can build a handi ;)  ;)

Wouldn't it have three hammers and two firing pins?

How about a GBO SB2 receiver only, engraved.  Then each buyer could get the barrel and stocks they prefer.

You may be onto something.  :)

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 05:01:09 PM »
. 357 Max, BC stock set and GBO medallion in the buttstock. That would be sweeeet!

Sign me up!

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 05:02:33 PM »
my thinking was that a stock set could
be sold here without involving an f.f.l.
with no more paperwork than buying
a t-shirt online/mail order.
How about just the GBO T-Shirt... we could each wear one when we are shooting our own Handi's...  ;D
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 05:05:25 PM »
i'm with ya. . . . .
don't forget the grown-up sizes.

my thought with stocks is i'd likely
want one for the ol' reliable topper,
the handi's are fine with what they're wearing.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 05:24:22 PM »
GBO and Handi-holic T-shirts and other goodies have been available for years in the e-store, there's a link in the news box near the top of the forum index page.

Tim

http://www.cafepress.com/gbollc
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline scratchmark

• Trade Count: (90)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2013, 05:24:42 PM »
I think we might be on to something. maybe have a GBO member do all engraving work to keep it in the "family"
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should atleast find ya handi

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 06:16:49 PM »
Of course this is another "pipe dream" but it is fun to play... I am sure that the .357 Max would be a hit in a BC set with GBO medallion... but I think that a 7X57 Mannlicher with the same medallion would be a sweet rig, and I would be buying more than one.
I'm with Hoyt on the caliber, but I would like the BC style stock with a rubber recoil pad.  On second thought, I'll take it with a Mannlicher fore-end, I can always change it.  You could put me down for two.  That makes a minimum of 4, 7x57's already, anyone else?
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2013, 12:03:47 AM »
I can't shoot a straight pull stock.  My wrist just doesn't bend that way.  I put up with it on my My 94 Winny because I can wrap my fingers around the outside of the lever (and it's a J.M. Browning designed gun...)

Tony

Offline Groo

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2013, 12:35:52 AM »
Groo here
 If a full rifle is out-- how about a SB2 frame with GBO custom number, and or GBO on the side.
 Just be sure there is enough so that we can send it to H&R for the barresl...
 Also a Mannlicher stock set finished or semi, Peep sight optic rail combo that fits etc...
 I think a short er version of the takedown bolt would go over well , so I can put my off hand where I want.

Offline 8uck5nort

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
  • Trying to improve myself one shot at a time.
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2013, 01:31:54 AM »
All great suggestions. 460s&w is interesting. However, my vote is for the 7x57 in mannlicher, but I'd buy one in any stock configuration in a heartbeat. If we are really allowed to go nuts then 6.5x55 and 257 Roberts, but I don't think they have ever been offered in a Handi.
Cartridges for My Entertainment: .22 S,L,LR, .223 Rem, 7x57, 30-06, 8x57, 357 mag/max, 35 Remington/Indiana, 35 Whelen, 44 mag, 445 SM mag. Adding the 6.5x55 swede!

Offline watsisname

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2013, 03:30:32 AM »
A GBO medallion might be a start. I know someone who might be able to cast some in Pewter. Anyone know if there was ever one made that could be used for a mold?