Author Topic: Considering another Handi  (Read 709 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Considering another Handi
« on: June 24, 2013, 04:17:42 AM »
  I am considering another  Handi, but I am aprehensiveI know they have had "teething problems" sinc their move to Ilion, so naturally, I don't want to "roll the dice" when buying a new one.  So, are there some given calibers which haven't exhibited any "snags" in accuracy since the transition ?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline watson

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Considering another Handi
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 05:49:02 AM »
I got a new one in 223 about three mountd ago. receiver marked made in Ilion NY. Don't know how accurate it is but can take rest on the railing of my front porch and shoot turtles off a stump in my pond. The stump is app. 200+ yds. The barrel is marked with the last three numbers of the serial number. If i understand what i read in the FAQ the ILion barrels supposed to be marked with the last four numbers of serial number.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 06:08:38 AM »
I have two Ilion made factory rifles, both are just fine, both have etched 3-digit underlug markings. I also have a 7mm-08 Superlight accessory barrel that Brian fitted in Ilion, it's stamped with the last 4 digits as Brian states in the FAQs, the Ilion "stamp" marked accessory barrels are 4-digit, etched 3-digit are factory rifles.

Tim

As a rule shotgun barrels were never stamped, unless it was a barrel fit.
As for rifle barrels if they were etched, they were original barrel to receiver fits. If they were stamped with either  a 3 digit number (Gardner Ma. ) or a 4 digit number ( Ilion). They were an accessory barrel fit.

Brian@Remington:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 06:31:28 AM »
IMHO it doesnt matter what brand you buy, its all a dice roll.........
Review the 'what to look for before you buy' info and make the proper pre-purchase checks. If you have to order something be sure to get an 'inspection' period to do the same or, if at a dealer who orders for you, a right of refusal.
Do NOT be afraid to walk away from anything which is not to your standards (just be sure to be ready to explain why it does not do so; some may ask).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline watson

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 10:08:27 AM »
Thanks Tim for clearing the barrel numbers up. When you get my age it gets hard for things to sink in.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 10:17:05 AM »
Ain't that the truth!! :-[  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline theratdog

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 07:08:14 PM »
i just bought a savage axis in 30.06 took it to the range shot ok but my handy shoots better and i didn't give it a trigger job but i did the savage.still will try some more tweaking. if it don't pan out it will be gone .fun to play with though. :D

Offline thumper113

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
Considering another Handi
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 07:17:28 PM »
Ironglow,

Just get it, lol!  You know it's the only way to satisfy the itch.

This sounds like a good excuse to handle every one in a 20 mile radius to find that one with your name on it.

Hmmmm...,  I might need to go evaluate too!
God Bless Our Troops!

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 05:41:50 PM »
IG,
Listen to thumper, just buy one.  I don't think there are as many problems with the Ilion guns as guys make it seem.  Think about all the guns sold without problems.  Remember that the squeakiest wheel gets the grease.  I have three Ilion guns, the three Dick's Specials .223, (from a member), .308, and 22-250 (both from Dick's unfortunately, I didn't get the "Special" price) with the no name scope/mounts/hammer extension.  Guess you have to be in the right state (Michigan, IIRC, to get them at the special price.

The 223 which I'm still working on a load groups at an inch and a half, the 308 (barrel is still unfired),  frame is currently being used for my VP barrel and shoots clover leaf groups at 25 yards.  The 22-50 (barrel unfired), the frame is currently being used for a 30-30, and shoots 1" groups at 100yards.

No problems at all with the frames, or the complete gun in 223.

OSR.   
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.