Author Topic: shooting right handed with left eye  (Read 1397 times)

Offline barber

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • lilke hunting with handguns, metal detecting,
shooting right handed with left eye
« on: June 27, 2013, 05:25:33 PM »
I'm right handed, and normally shoot that way.I only hunt with .44 mag revolvers or Contenders.  I recently had cataract surgery on both eyes, and now I can see the sights better with my left eye.. Does anyone have any experiece  shooting with the right hand and using the left eye?  I'm 81 and too old to start trying to shoot left handed.  Thanks
barber

Offline Varmint Hunter

• A Real Regular
Re: shooting right handed with left eye
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 02:05:22 PM »
I'm right handed, and normally shoot that way.I only hunt with .44 mag revolvers or Contenders.  I recently had cataract surgery on both eyes, and now I can see the sights better with my left eye.. Does anyone have any experiece  shooting with the right hand and using the left eye?  I'm 81 and too old to start trying to shoot left handed.  Thanks

I am right handed but left eye dominant. I have been shooting (handgun) righty while using my left eye for the last 30 years and have never had a problem.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 04:58:05 PM »
I have done it for years, just a slight shift.  I qualified many times shooting right handed but using left eye. 

Only cause an issue one time.  Attending an L.E. shoot with lots of rookies.  I was wearing my handgun on the right side and had been shooting from the right side.  We switched to a shotgun course.  A female was not hitting the clay pigeons but I busted all mine shooting from the left side.  Did a grievance on me, saying I did it to embarrass her.  ( Note she was not from my agency.)  The grievance went no where, but told me that was a person not to work with.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline barber

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 05:07:35 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Now I feel better about it.
barber

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 10:48:59 AM »
I do it because I have macular degeneration in my right eye and the center vision is almost gone…
I have been shooting handguns right-handed using my left eye for years…
As a matter of fact, I only hunt with handguns now, as I have not taught myself to shoot rifles or shotguns left-handed…
Don’t know that I ever will…
I would pay $10000.00 right now to have the center vision back in my right eye…
And so it goes…
Good-luck…BCB

Offline cabledad

• Life Member of the NRA Cable Pioneer
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 02:22:20 PM »
I am 70 years old and I have allways shot a right hand bolt left handed. I can wink my right eye but not my left so at an early age I learned to shoot left handed.Took bayonet training in basic right handed.I have shot right handed with both eyes open but thats not the way I learned.Its not comfortable.   I can crank out the shots with a bolt action when I have to in the left handed position. Thats the way I learned and its not a problem.

Offline barber

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 01:48:29 PM »
Interesting replies. Thanks again
barber

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 03:56:40 AM »
Tried to learn to shoot right handed, left eyed with my S&W Air weight; then I tried left-handed, left eyed. Never felt right either way. No rounds fired, just snap caps to develop muscle memory. I seldom shoot it because it is so light. It is a carry gun for close encounters.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 04:05:23 AM »
I'm right handed, left eye dominant. Older style rifles and shotguns accommodated my crawling over the stock.
When I moved into more modern styles rifles, and repeating shotguns, I had to train myself to shoot with my right eye.
I don't really think about it with pistols now days.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline rustic bob

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 12:35:43 PM »
I am left hand and left eye dominant, but have nerve damage in my left hand, have learned to shoot my pistols right hand pulled over to my left eye, takes practice but I have done well enough to take several deer with my .357 10" contender, am going to try the Ruger Blackhawk this fall. Still shoot my long guns left handed.