Author Topic: To Cut or Not to Cut?  (Read 2047 times)

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
Re: To Cut or Not to Cut?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2013, 11:38:51 PM »
Welll Dinny I must take another view on this discussion.  It is your rifle and your choice! As Tim said the velocity is not an issue. To me the handling and carring qualites contribute to hunting accuracy, ie.if it is too long or unbalanced  it is most likely a canadate for safe queen status.Sometimes you just got to please your self, as  Ricky Nelson sang about many years ago in the song Garden Party.
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline shvlhead.45

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2013, 05:40:29 AM »
Dinny,

Think HWB13 alluded to something in his post, some one out there is looking for a 26"  barrel, sell it, get a new factory 22" barrel.  You made someone happy  and you still got your .35 Whelen.

Shvlhead.45

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2013, 06:28:00 AM »
Dinny,

Think HWB13 alluded to something in his post, some one out there is looking for a 26"  barrel, sell it, get a new factory 22" barrel.  You made "someone" happy  and you still got your .35 Whelen.

Shvlhead.45

That would work except I'm that "someone". I'll keep it at 26". :)

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2013, 07:53:46 AM »
Dinny this is just to inform you that my attorney is starting divorce and disinheritance proceedings and will be contacting you.  You caved in to common sense, something no Handiholic would do.  You still have time to repent.  It's not too late. I'll send ya a hacksaw, Sawzall, blades, files, stones, anything you need.....sounds like I'm trying to get you out of prison.

Seriously, I'd cut it regardless.  My .45-70 is being anaesthetised now for a cut to 16.5 inches.  Yeah, yeah, I can hear it now.  Sorry about that.  It now pushes a 405 to 1950.  If it does 1750 I'll be happy with a shorter, lighter rifle.  I like my shorties.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2013, 09:15:15 AM »
Quote from: -Dinny
I recently purchased a RMEF 26" 35 Whelen rifle. The barrel seems muzzle heavy and slow to point. Would cutting two inches off help this any? I don't want to go any shorter than 24" since that would defeat any advantage it has over a std 22" barrel. Your thoughts?

Thoughts?  I think its always dumb to chop a barrel for looks.

But thats not what you're asking about exactly ......

That 26in Whelen barrel is a real treasure!  Truly.  ;)   You can load 225-250 grain (or lighter) bullets, and maximize performance from your ammo-reloads, whether loading std Whelens or improving them! (along with the barrel, some folks do).

Two Three FOUR things I'd consider before 'damaging' that rare barrel;

Do as Tim suggested and 'balance' your gun by adding weight to the stock  (I've shot the Whelen, and would want an 8-8 1/2# gun!  Rather than a lighter weight gun).

2,  Offer that puppy (for sale or trade) to someone who really needs it (the cartridge, for things like elk, moose, living in Alaska, Canada, etc.).

3,  Buy a 22inch Whelen (before cutting that one) if you decide you really need shorter barrel in that VERY EXCELLENT CARTRIDGE! 

The Whelen was a poor man's magnum during the Great Depression (if a .375H&H on expensive actions were unaffordable back then, and the .338 was years away).  The Whelen is a killing machine!  And I've always thought 22in was too short!  Esp whenever I see that choice listed in a Handi or on the Barrel Accessory list ......

4th and lastly, when considering CARTRIDGE EFFICIENCY, anything shorter than 22inches in .35 caliber should maybe be in .358Win or .35Rem? 

Both of those rounds also have their place hunting and killing game,

but the Whelen (like the .338/06 and 9.3mmX62) is at its best in a rig like you have Dinney, providedyou keep it that way.  ;)   ;D

ADDED:  Read Shootall's post.

Often I tout that I'm from the Western States, altho I grew up in northwest Florida.  Don't state that that often.

If I was still in the South or thick woods and swamps, could see a real need for short barreled rifles in the 18 and 20inch lengths.  And a 21-26inch shotgun - whether in a deer stand or over a covey of bobwhites is indeed handy and fast.

Some rounds like Dinny's .35 Whelen are excellent for the western species like elk, moose of all varieties (the Shiras to the Yukon size!), and even bears.

But so far in the Rockies we haven't been innudated [yet] with the pandemic of wild boar spreading further and further westward every year!  Altho the 'killer bees' are eventually supposed  tp spread into parts of Oregon and southern Washington and parts of Utah, etc.

If you keep your Whelen Dinny, what size bullets do you expect to shoot in it?  What will you hunt with it?

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2013, 10:13:59 AM »
I started cutting the barrels on my shotguns for deer and turkey before it was popular. I did it because it made them more user friendly. I have since started hunting with short rifles 16 - 20 inch barrels. They are just easier to hunt with. During a normal day of hunting here we see a lot of woods , very thick stuff and we get in and out of vehicles a lot so the short barrels are a pleasure to hunt with. But if that wasn't a concern just put some weight in the stock.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2013, 06:13:57 PM »
Since I already have a few 357 Maxis and a 356 Win on the way, this will be my long range/big game rifle. The 26" barrel will make it a little bit harder for hunting the areas I'm currently hunting, but this is just temporary. The US Army hasn't realized it yet, but they "need" me in AK. ;) Once they wisen-up and send me there, barrel length will not be an issue for the shots will likely be long and I'll be that much more thankful I kept it at full length. Bullet weights will be determined by accuracy. I would like to keep it between 225 and 250 for the Whelen and around 200 for the 356. My Maxis like 180gr bullets.

Thanks, Dinny

Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine