Author Topic: Stock refinish.  (Read 2817 times)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Stock refinish.
« on: February 02, 2014, 01:13:05 AM »
I have had this stock for some time... It came on my nickel 223 back a couple years ago. Its maple or Birch but NOT a pallet wood. Its factory checkered and Monte Carlo. But its also green... like a olive green but you can see some fiddle back thru the dark stain. I have had it on the shelf for some time awaiting refinish... I think I am going to leave it natural, at least I would like to. I have to wait and see what it looks like with it clean.

Well with the new 20g Shorty project and the 22Maggie VP build. I need a additional stock set.

I am going to use it on my 17Hornet.

Yesterday, I sprayed it down then scrapped it with stripper to try and save the checkering... The finish is quite stubborn...  :( >:( :o

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: Stock refinish.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 01:15:19 AM »
Sounds interesting..go for it !  Don't forget pics.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 01:20:05 AM »
If it's birch (like pallet wood) it will be almost white without the finish on it.  Will be hard to remove the finish without sanding which will trash the checkering.  I wish you luck.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 01:21:56 AM »
Brian, it sound like an interesting stock set.  I too would like to see some pics.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 02:01:30 AM »
Great looking stock set!!....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline watsisname

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 02:01:42 AM »
You have a nice peice of wood there. The stain doesn't penetrate very deep and there is plenty extra wood to remove on any Handi stock. I would sand it to remove the stain , being very carefull around the checkering. I would leave the checkering intact so you have a contrast with the light natural wood. It will look great! Good luck and post pics when it is done.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 02:12:26 AM »
I do have checkering tools... but not so much practice...

I may try to cut it deeper and use that to remove the stain. Got to go slow for that!

In the mean time I will tape it to protect and sand the stock.

Sounds interesting...go for it !  Don't forget pics.

Yea, I know. I like that look. Its a nice contrast. Some years back I had a Herters U9 rifle with a Birdseye maple stock. I should have never sold it off.

Count on pics guys!  ;) ;D

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Tuco Ramirez

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 02:17:09 AM »
That's is a nice piece of wood. Look forward to seeing pic's when your done.
When you have to shoot, "Shoot" don't talk

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 02:28:51 AM »
Don't laugh at this Brian.  I bought a used Handi .30-06 a while back and some jerk had dripped what I believe was construction adhesive on the butt stock which ran in several places.  I tried a bunch of stuff on it trying to save the finish.  Finally, I gave up and tried clear PVC pipe cleaner.  It worked like a charm.  It took the glue off and the finish too.  I just did the whole stock with it.  It came out clean and smooth and didn't take long. It might be worth a spot try on it or something similar.  Do it somewhere well ventilated and flame free.  I'm sure that crap can rot your brain ::)

Pete
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 02:37:56 AM »
That's is a nice piece of wood. Look forward to seeing pic's when your done.

Hello Tuco!!

WELCOME!!!

LOVED you in the GB&U!!  ;) ;)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline HWB13

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 03:51:59 AM »
CW, be careful of to much stripper.  Have seen some of those cool features vanish with a good stripping.  As you said you can get to the checkering with the tools then I would sand the rest to see how deep it is.  Do think it looks cool the way it is.
Kevin   
Handi's:17 Mach2, 17 HMR,17 WSM, 22LR, 22 Win Mag, 204 Ruger, 22 Hornet UV, 22-250 UV, 25-06, 30-30, 35 Whelen, 30-06, 20gaX2, 20GA ultra Slug, 12ga ultra slug, 12 ga Turkey, H&W 45-70 BC X2, 45 LC CC, 44 Mag, 500 S&W and 140+ non-H&R types

If you have to shoot more than once you should not have shot the first time.

Offline stewmagoo

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 03:59:08 AM »
I think it looks great the way it is. I would be very happy to have it as is on one of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 04:16:35 AM »
I think it looks great the way it is. I would be very happy to have it as is on one of mine.

It has a couple ''hickies'' one in middle of butt and two more in the wrist and a small chip right on top. Overall, your right its not horrible. But I can make it nicer and I can see glimpses of the pretty wood beneath the mud. Its calling me to get out!! a dozen coats of Tru or Tung Oil will do that part for me.  ;D ;D

I'm just taking a break from sanding... Pretty meticulous sanding around the checkering... ::) My fingers and arms are aching.

The stain is mostly on the surface and the stripper has made it gummy. Its coming off but clogging the paper pretty badly.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 04:40:30 AM »
Brian, the PVC cleaner doesn't make it gummy....you wipe it off with a paper towel.  Try a small spot.  I think it'll do the job and save your checkering without sanding that area.  I can't see any way you can sand checkering without ruining it.

Pete

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 04:50:22 AM »
Brian, the PVC cleaner doesn't make it gummy....you wipe it off with a paper towel.  Try a small spot.  I think it'll do the job and save your checkering without sanding that area.  I can't see any way you can sand checkering without ruining it.

Pete

I'll look and see what I have... I think all I have is purple...

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 06:17:32 AM »
Here is the stock after 100G paper.

The I did 180g, then 320G, the 400G. Here is first wet to raise the grain.

Here is more of the fiddle back.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline v8r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 06:34:42 AM »
CW that looks like one of the tiger striped maple stocks they had on the Ultra's several years ago. I think you should finish it more on the lighter side to mimic one of those stock sets. The contrast on the checkering in my opinion looks sharp as well. Can't wait to see what they look like when finished.
V8r's Handi collection.
H&R Ultra Varmint .223
H&R Topper 158 .22 Hornet
H&R Classic Carbine .45 LC
NEF  .357 magnum
H&R "Golden Buffalo" Buffalo Classic 45-70
NEF Pardner !2 Gauge

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 08:32:51 AM »
Here's one of the original H&R tiger maple sets that I put on my 204.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 08:55:47 AM »
That's the same checkering pattern on mine..

I always like that set Tim!!  ;) ;) ;)

Hope mine looks half as nice!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 11:24:34 AM »
Well I started re-cutting the checkering... then thought better and just recut the borders as I agree v8r. I kinda like the contrast.

BUT, I also decided to lightly stain it, I mixed some custom color with paint thinner to lighten. Came out too red.  :o :o So I lightened some walnut stain and re stained and quickly took all the stain off and rubbed it down hard.  It looks like light walnut, no maple anymore. Maple with tiger stripes.  :-\ :-\ :-\

It will be fine and will highlight the grain fine, just be darker than I wanted.

Pics later.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 01:57:29 PM »
Here is the stocks all stained.

Some days I REALLY hate Photobucket.. today is one. It refuses to allow me to crop this image. I like to crop to remove superfluous junk. BUT when I do my image is totally distorted. I have tried restarting the program and computer... SO her it is with the extra junk... :o :D

I do like it and its just light enough and dark enough.  :o :o

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 02:27:06 PM »
That's nice!!

Spanky

Offline Larry in SD

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2014, 02:41:19 PM »
Very very nice. That is going to look awesome.

Larry

Offline TLARbb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2014, 02:46:08 PM »
That looks great to me.  I didn't know there was that kind of wood available on Handis at any time past or present.  That's going to make a  handsome rifle.

EJ

Offline stewmagoo

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2014, 03:08:38 PM »

That looks great to me.  I didn't know there was that kind of wood available on Handis at any time past or present.  That's going to make a  handsome rifle.
I'm with you. Me either. Heck I thought the best wood they had was laminate stocks. This smokes them

EJ

Offline PineyCreek22

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014, 05:07:01 PM »
You did a great job stripping, sanding and preserving the checkering.  Looking forward to your final finishing.  I know that laminated, composite and plastic stocks have their place for various reasons and in some situations are superior but there is a special place in my heart for solid wood and blue steel.  Piney Creek
custom .357 mag monoblock, custom 30-30 Handi

Offline cowboyup453

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (82)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2014, 05:33:49 PM »
[size=0px]SO her it is with the extra junk... [/size]
[size=0px]
You don't like posting pictures of your feet? Are those Haynes? ;) :o
I think it looks great feet or not. ;) ;D [/size]

Offline HWB13

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 01:39:28 AM »
 In the immortal words of Jim Croce, “ooh,that girl look nice."

Kevin   
Handi's:17 Mach2, 17 HMR,17 WSM, 22LR, 22 Win Mag, 204 Ruger, 22 Hornet UV, 22-250 UV, 25-06, 30-30, 35 Whelen, 30-06, 20gaX2, 20GA ultra Slug, 12ga ultra slug, 12 ga Turkey, H&W 45-70 BC X2, 45 LC CC, 44 Mag, 500 S&W and 140+ non-H&R types

If you have to shoot more than once you should not have shot the first time.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 01:47:56 AM »
Thanks guys!!

Second coat of tung went on this am. Tonight (if I get home. 12" white stuff FORCAST) I'll steel will it back to wood and re coat.

[size=0px]SO her it is with the extra junk... [/size]
[size=0px]
You don't like posting pictures of your feet? Are those Haynes? ;) :o
I think it looks great feet or not. ;) ;D [/size]

Exactly Cowboy!  I don't like seeing feet in gun pics. I know it's just me. ;) after all there GUN pics not foot pics right? ::)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2014, 02:00:52 AM »
Pretty wood, looks good.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member