Author Topic: Handi and recoil  (Read 1310 times)

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
Handi and recoil
« on: February 02, 2014, 07:27:18 AM »
I was considering a new barrel for my Handi in .30-06. My only concern is recoil if shooting at the range for a while. My Handi is chambered in .243 but I swear it is the hardest recoiling rifle I own. More than .308, 7mm-08 and a .30-06 semi-auto.   

Is this mainly due to stock design or weight or…?

Thank you!!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Handi and recoil
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 08:13:30 AM »
REcoil is VERY subjective...

I don't feel my 243 is a recoiler...

I recommend a GOOD recoil pad for any recoiling caliber. I have used Kick-EEZ, De-Cellorator and Limb Saver pads. ALL do a fine job of removing the sting of a kicker.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 08:42:20 AM »
The 243 is very light in recoil compared to most other chamberings, if you have a 20" 243 Superlight or youth it could seem to recoil more due to the harsh muzzle blast if you aren't wearing hearing protection, but the physical recoil is very light. It could also be recoil seems more intense due to face contact on the comb of the stock, try a little padding there, maybe a neoprene cartridge holder or just a towel over the comb to see if that helps.

Tim

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Plenty Coups

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Plenty Coups Archery
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 09:26:06 AM »
You need a 45/70 with 350 grainers loaded to around 2100 fps. It'll toughen yah up! (OR MAKE YOU FLINCH SO BAD YOU WON'T NOTICE RECOIL FROM ONE RIFLE TO THE NEXT)
"Diplomacy is the art of saying nice doggy while finding a rock"- Will Rogers

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 10:02:09 AM »
i'm a big believer in Limb Saver recoil pads. even with hot loads they should tame it down quite a bit. if its still to much get a muzzle brake installed. i have a handi 30-06 with a brake and it doesn't kick at all i can spot my own hits through it.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline HWB13

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 10:05:00 AM »
My wife owns the 06 in the gunroom.  At 5-3 130 she says the kick is OK to hunt with but won't spend the day on the bench with it.  I'm not one that recoil bothers.  But as CW said a good recoil pad, I like Limbsaver, will go a long way.  My 500 Smith also carries a MRR.
Kevin   
Handi's:17 Mach2, 17 HMR,17 WSM, 22LR, 22 Win Mag, 204 Ruger, 22 Hornet UV, 22-250 UV, 25-06, 30-30, 35 Whelen, 30-06, 20gaX2, 20GA ultra Slug, 12ga ultra slug, 12 ga Turkey, H&W 45-70 BC X2, 45 LC CC, 44 Mag, 500 S&W and 140+ non-H&R types

If you have to shoot more than once you should not have shot the first time.

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 01:40:28 PM »

REcoil is VERY subjective...

CW

This is true.

I sold my 30-06 Handi barrel because it was too much recoil. I found it pretty brutal in an 03 Springfield. I have an S&W I-Bolt in 30-06. With the C&H mercury recoil reducer and a heavy scope, I find it ok to shoot. For me, 30-06 is at the upper end of what I want to shoot recoil-wise and in the Handi it was too much.
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 01:55:22 PM »
Personally I think of recoils as very subjective to the person shooting the firearm.A firearm that someone is comfortable with will do a much better job than one that scares them,(such as a 243 vs a 45-70 full house load).see my signature line
George
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 01:57:48 PM »
That to me is strange.  My .243 Superlight is a pussycat to shoot...but, I'm shooting 85 gr. bullets at about 3200 fps.  If you're shooting 100 gr. faster than that, you may well feel it.  I've done that with a 6mm Model 7 100 gr. running 3800 and that wasn't awful.  I keep mine on a light weight camo syn stock and a light scope.  I can happily shoot it all day off the bench.  However, If you want to stop by,  I can show you a few Handis with recoil :o   They all have just the factory recoil pad.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 02:16:20 PM »
Should ask if your reloading your own or using factory ammo.  Powder selection heavily affects recoil too and specialty powder like Superperformance Powder change this allot.  Also stock shape.  I really liked the reduction going to a Boyd's thumbhole stock.
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Larry in SD

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 02:32:06 PM »
There is a simple formula for calculating recoil, plus there is at least one recoil calculator on line that I know of. Some of the key factors that go into the recoil calculation formulas are Gun Weight, Powder Charge, Bullet Weight and Muzzle Velocity. Granted these formulas do not take into account gun stock design or fit for the individual person doing the shooting.

In the last .243 I had I loaded 95gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips with 42.5grs. of Powder. Muzzle Velocity was 3071 FPS from the 22" Barrel. Using a gun weight of 9 pounds the foot pounds of free recoil for that load = 7.51. In my nephews .30-06 I am loading him 150gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips with 59.0grs. of Powder. Muzzle Velocity is 2879. Using a gun weight of 9 pounds the foot pounds of free recoil for that load = 15.70 or over twice as much as the .243 load.

As has been stated recoil for each and every one of us is a subjective thing, as we are all built a little different and tolerate recoil differently. The one thing I have noticed over the years is stock design and shape along with the length of pull all contribute to how a given rifle or shotgun is going to recoil for me (or maybe I should have stated how I perceive the recoil). For example a comb height either too high or low for me will seem to enhance recoil. Taken another way the height of the scope above the comb of the stock will effect how you shoulder the given rifle and will have an effect on perceived recoil.

As quick pointed out you can easily add something to the comb of the stock in the form of a neophrene or elastic shell holder with foam between it and the stock to raise the comb of the stock if it is too low for you. Once you find that perfect height there are permanent stock comb risers that can be attached to the stock to give proper fit. I also know guys that are very stocky built and have short necks that want their stocks with a certain amount of offset to the buttstock for them to be comfortable.

All things equal (which is never a given) a .243 SHOULD recoil 1/2 as much as a .30-06.

Larry

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 03:17:18 PM »
No need to do any calculatin, there are calculators online that do it for you, just plug in the particulars.  ;)

Tim

http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline nframe

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 03:32:25 PM »
Go to wally world and get winchester brand slip on pad (simms limbsaver) for 20 bucks or so.  I think the medium fit the handi, can'remember for sure.  I put over the factory pad but I have long arms.  Makes a difference w 500 sw.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 05:41:36 PM »
Go to wally world and get winchester brand slip on pad (simms limbsaver) for 20 bucks or so.  I think the medium fit the handi, can'remember for sure.  I put over the factory pad but I have long arms.  Makes a difference w 500 sw.

thats what i do with my 338 edge. without the slip on i can only manage a few shots before i start flinching. highly recommend it.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 01:25:16 AM »
I had never shot a high-powered rifle 'till I got my Handi in 30-06.  I figured they all kicked that way and learned to make sure I held the rifle tight to my shoulder and roll with the punch.  If your scope is mounted in extra high rings and your cheek is not tight to the stock, it will feel like you got punched in the face.  That's one reason I try to mount my scope as low as possible.

At the bench, let the gun lay on a proper height rest and take your non-trigger hand help support the butt to insure it is properly placed and tight to your shoulder.  Make sure if you're really tall or really short you have the right height chair, stool, etc. as well as bench.

Upon firing, don't try to make yourself solid or hold the rifle down or bristle against the recoil.  Just hold on to the rifle, let your mass absorb and "ride" the recoil.  You don't have to go limp, just don't fight it.

BW

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 04:46:04 AM »
Gentlemen, thank you for the replies and input. Although, I was thinking more along the lines of how much the stock effects recoil. I've shot .243 bolt actions before and agree that the recoil is mild. But, my Handi in .243 has a much noticeable increase in recoil over the bolt gun I shot. Again, I feel that recoil more than some of my other rifles in .308, etc. So, I am assuming that a barrel in .30-06 on that same Handi will be more recoil than a .30-06 in a bolt gun (of the same brand as the .243 bolt I shot).

Thank you!!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 05:12:10 AM »
Well I have both a bolt action Remington Sportsman 78 (low comb original stock)and a Handi in 30-06 (Monti Carlo style comb) and I really cannot tell the difference.  Both are wood stocked, maybe that might make a difference as from what I understand synthetic is lighter, but I have also shot a Handi  30-06 with a synthetic stock and seriously did not notice any difference in recoil.

Maybe it is because I have more mass to absorb recoil, (I go about 305lbs with a 40" waist) maybe it is technique, or maybe I'm just numb from my high school football career, I don't know.

BW

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 12:20:48 PM »
I definitely noticed a big difference in recoil improvement going from the BC drop wrist stock and my Boyd's thumbhole stock.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline TLARbb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 02:20:49 PM »
I haven't shot a Handi in .243 or any centerfire caliber larger than .223 Remington, but the comb of the stock may be what is whipping you.  I had a T/C Hawken, still have it, and a Renegade in .45 cal.  The .45 was absolutely brutal until I took a wood rasp and reshaped the comb to lower it a bit.  After that, it was easy to shoot without pain.  So, the Handi comb and your face may be at odds and that can be an unhappy situation.  If you had a wood Monte Carlo comb instead of the plastic one, you could reshape it to fit  you better and I'll bet that your painful experience will go away. 

If it is hurting your shoulder instead, then you need a good recoil pad on it. 

I have a Handi in .204 Ruger with the heavy barrel and the pallet wood stock set (with the Monte Carlo comb) and, of course, it has not been anything but a pleasure to shoot.  But, in addition to the heavier wood stock, it has the 22" heavy barrel. 

Post up a photo of it so we can see what your configuration looks like; maybe someone can give you some specific advise that will help.

One other thing I have noticed is that position and hold on the bench affects felt recoil significantly.  If you are having to bend over to get down into position behind the rifle to shoot, this can make the felt recoil a lot more noticeable or uncomfortable.  If this is the case try getting your rifle higher off the bench so you can assume a more natural position behind the rifle. 

EJ

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 08:23:32 AM »
Thanks TLARbb. I'll try some adjustments.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline park duck

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 11:38:15 AM »
Just shot a whelen

Offline lefty_red

• I'm way too young to feel this old!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
  • I'll be needing that for squirrels and such....
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 12:47:04 PM »
As a guy that is in touch with his sensitive side, and two bad shoulders, fit is the one variable that lessens the perceived recoil for me.
Make sure the pull is long enough, and that the rise to tall enough.  Having your head cranked down and humped around an ill fitting stock allows too much wiggle room and slam of the rifle into you.  Proper sling use helps too.

But the rise and the pull can be cured cheaply.  For the rise, an old used deck of cards and duck tape helps.  You can "cover" it with an old buttstock ammo carrier.  Then a slip on or made to fit recoil pad. 

Almost all rifles are too short of pull for me.  And I put a thin cheek ez pad on all of the rifles just because that is were I feel the recoil the most.  Problem solved, for me.

Lefty
Too old for a paper route and too young to retire!

Offline lefty_red

• I'm way too young to feel this old!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
  • I'll be needing that for squirrels and such....
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 12:50:57 PM »
As far as the perceived recoil of the Handi in 30/06, when fitted I can't tell it from any other lager centerfire.  In fact, I think its less than my friends 1903, and it weights more.  With same ammo of course.

Lefty
Too old for a paper route and too young to retire!