Author Topic: Coca-Cola Super Bowl ad- learn English or GET OUT!  (Read 3712 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: Coca-Cola Super Bowl ad- learn English or GET OUT!
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2014, 11:54:04 PM »
Cheerios

???

Dooooph!  I didn't see that on the Coke Products linked list above.  Shreaded Wheat then...

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2014, 02:01:35 AM »
That's why you drink diet soda.

Diet soda has chemicals that can attack your bones. When I found out I was diabetic I was told that diet drinks were ok to drink. About a year later I started having kidney stones , 10 in less than three mos. Altogether about 15 in 7 mos. I was told to stop all diet drinks just before having the last three stones. I was informed the chemicals in the drinks were attacking my bones and the lost calcium was collecting and causing the stones. I have since talked with others who had the same experience.
 One thing most diabetics find out is the more a food is processed the more it hurts to eat it.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline don29

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2014, 06:59:47 AM »
We NEED an official language.  Let's just grow a pair and say that it's English.

I'm tired of feeling like I live in Mexico.

NGH

in 1789(?) congress voted to make english the national language of the United States...the choices they voted on? english and german...

Offline scootrd

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2014, 08:02:33 AM »
A few facts.

Coca-Cola has a product portfolio of more than 3,500 beverages (and 500 brands), spanning from sodas to energy drinks to soy-based drinks.

Coca-Cola sells more than 1000 kinds of juice drinks, including: Simply, Minute Maid, Fruitopia, Hi-C, Fuze and Odwalla   

There are 33 non-alcoholic brands that generate over $1 billion in revenue. Coca-Cola owns a whopping 15 of them

3.1% of all beverages consumed around the world are Coca-Cola products

Of the 55 billion servings of all kinds of beverages drunk each day (other than water), 1.7 billion are Coca-Cola trademarked/licensed drinks.

Boycott away if it makes you feel good , Just understand  even if you could avoid drinking a Coke owned product. I doubt they would notice a difference in the dent.

Semper Fi
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline GrassLakeRon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2014, 08:12:16 AM »
None of you teach esl.  My wife does.  Even when people pay to learn english, it takes them years.  Thank you to all who are showing patients to those immigrants....oh wait....thats none of you in here.....

Ron

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2014, 08:15:28 AM »
A few facts.

Coca-Cola has a product portfolio of more than 3,500 beverages (and 500 brands), spanning from sodas to energy drinks to soy-based drinks.

Coca-Cola sells more than 1000 kinds of juice drinks, including: Simply, Minute Maid, Fruitopia, Hi-C, Fuze and Odwalla   

There are 33 non-alcoholic brands that generate over $1 billion in revenue. Coca-Cola owns a whopping 15 of them

3.1% of all beverages consumed around the world are Coca-Cola products

Of the 55 billion servings of all kinds of beverages drunk each day (other than water), 1.7 billion are Coca-Cola trademarked/licensed drinks.

Boycott away if it makes you feel good , Just understand  even if you could avoid drinking a Coke owned product. I doubt they would notice a difference in the dent.

Semper Fi
You are very wrong there, Coca-Cola just stopped supporting a Stand Your Ground organization because of possible boycotts by those against stand your ground.

I fianlly heard the commercial last night and switching between languages is annoying but it makes sense commercially.

Offline scootrd

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2014, 08:26:30 AM »
Bob ,

I'm a DR. Pepper guy myself (Owned by British company Cadbury Sweppes).  When the Queen pisses off America does that mean I should quit drinking Dr. Pepper?  -  I think you get my point.

Feel free to boycott away, However Coca cola is massive, Their products are global in almost every country. It owns 42% of the carbonated drinks market. Coca-Cola's $35.1 billion in revenue makes it the 84th largest economy in the world.

again
except the personal satisfaction for the individual who was boycotting.  I doubt it would matter to their bottom line.
Besides I'd hate to see the Coca-Cola Polar Bears unemployed. Whats a bear to do ? :)
Semper Fi
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2014, 12:03:24 PM »
None of you teach esl.  My wife does.

Ron, most folks have zero clue what ESL is. Your wife is one special person. Our church provides up to 12 ESL classes per year and 2 computer classes to these same folks. There's a waiting list for folks wanting in the classes. Locally, we have the Catholic church that imports these folks legally, sees to their paperwork so that they are legal but then drops them like a redheaded step child. These people have no clue in most cases what a grocery store is. Sounds odd, I know, but they have no clue about the big box in the kitchen that's usually cold inside and what it's for. They have no clue how to shop for clothes, transportation, food, education, job hunting, absolutely nothing. The ESL bunch here has classes for them so they can fit right in. Takes about 2 years before a person can actually join the civilized world that we take for granted. I've seen far too many go to the dumpster to look for lunch as that's where they ate all of their life. Women just squat anywhere to relieve themselves as they've never seen a commode and have no clue how to use it. And that roll of squared paper that's in the bathroom- what's that for? Or  wow, you turn this knob and water comes out of this thing! Amazing some of the stories these folks can tell you and they're still alive. Sometimes I listen to these stories about their lives and I have to leave. You can't believe the misery some people have survived and consider it everyday living. It's all dandy sitting in our arm chairs complaining about this and that but some of these folks that can't speak English, it's not their fault. They just want to survive another day. Forget the new car, forget a better job, forget a new gun or boat, they're more concerned about the next meal and in what week that one meal might happen. So yeah Ron, I know all about ESL and you are a lucky man to be married to such a magnificent woman. Kindly tell her for me, she's my hero of the week.
FWIW: ESL= English as a Second Language

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2014, 12:23:17 PM »
None of you teach esl.  My wife does.  Even when people pay to learn english, it takes them years.  Thank you to all who are showing patients to those immigrants....oh wait....thats none of you in here.....

Ron

Lets be realistic here.
Old or older people have a more difficult time to learn a new language
The ease or difficulty to learn English also depend on your native language
Last but not least, there are immigrants that simply don't give a rats curly hair if they ever learn English.

I was 14 years old, spoke no English past a few words when I got put in an Immersion program
 over the summer. Nobody in that class spoke my native language.

When regular school started I went to a Senior HS as a Sophomore and was expected to keep up.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline powderman

« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2014, 01:02:42 PM »

Ron

RON. I have no clue what ESL means. I have all the patience in the world for REAL immigrants, they are the ones who came here legally, obeying our laws. If you are talking about criminal invaders, ILLEGALS, I have NO patience for them. they should all be caught and deported, along with their ILLEGAL kids. Sign up, get in line, follow the rules, obey our laws, learn and SPEAK ENGLISH, become American citizens and ACT like it. I've seen rea immigrants that are now citizens when I was at walmart struggle with some words, I was proud to help them. If they are willing to do this I say WELCOME fellow Americans. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline scootrd

« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2014, 03:20:09 PM »

Ron

RON. I have no clue what ESL means.

English as a second Language

Offline Pass Lake

• Avid Poster
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2014, 03:23:10 PM »
I read but don't reply often on this site.  My mom is a 89 year old American who is 100% Norwegian descendant.  Her parents were born in Norway and I remember my grandmother's Norwegian accent. She spoke better Norwegian than English.  My mom wishes she had someone to speak Norwegian with today because that is what she spoke as a child in her home.  I think we get to bent out shape with this English speaking stuff.  Immigrants hang on to the traditions from their homeland.  My mom still makes lutefisk and flatbread every year and is proud of her Norwegian heritage.  And my dad was in the US Navy for 28 years.  He was involved in Operation Crossroad and retired as a chief petty officier.  I thought it was a nice ad.

Offline lgm270

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2014, 03:47:18 PM »
I read but don't reply often on this site.  My mom is a 89 year old American who is 100% Norwegian descendant.  Her parents were born in Norway and I remember my grandmother's Norwegian accent. She spoke better Norwegian than English.  My mom wishes she had someone to speak Norwegian with today because that is what she spoke as a child in her home.  I think we get to bent out shape with this English speaking stuff.  Immigrants hang on to the traditions from their homeland.  My mom still makes lutefisk and flatbread every year and is proud of her Norwegian heritage.  And my dad was in the US Navy for 28 years.  He was involved in Operation Crossroad and retired as a chief petty officier.  I thought it was a nice ad.

Why did your mother run away from a culture she was so proud of?

Offline powderman

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2014, 03:57:44 PM »
My mom still makes lutefisk and flatbread every year and is proud of her Norwegian heritage.  And my dad was in the US Navy for 28 years.  He was involved in Operation Crossroad and retired as a chief petty officier.  I thought it was a nice ad.

PASS LAKE. That's great, good for her. And nothing wrong with another language at home or in a small community of like people. I hope that she has been able to pass along some of those recipes. But in public I feel it should be English, not to do so is disrespectful and rude.  ;D ;D

RON. English 2nd language?? Horsepatoot. that's fine in mexico, not America. English should be first, Yabba dooo second. Doing otherwise proves they do NOT intend to be Americans.  >:( >:(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline two-blocked

« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2014, 05:17:10 PM »
Coke has heard the whining xenophobic idiots and has responded.................

Coke Defiantly to Air Longer Version of ‘America the Beautiful’ Ad
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2014/02/coke-defiantly-to-air-longer-version-of-america-the-beautiful-ad/

It's the real thing! ;)

Offline two-blocked

« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2014, 05:29:50 PM »
Coca-Cola - It's Beautiful - Behind the Scenes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ReHUMUb9gY

Offline lgm270

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2014, 05:32:28 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2014/02/coke-defiantly-to-air-longer-version-of-america-the-beautiful-ad/

It's the real thing! ;)

The "whining xenophobic idiots" are the  people who built the country to which 3d world primitives come for a "better life." 

Maybe you should go to their country  so you too can pee on  the sidewalk instead of use indoor plumbing.  You seem to  have a great fondness for people who live that way.

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2014, 06:21:21 PM »

Why did your ancestors?

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2014, 06:34:43 PM »
My mom still makes lutefisk and flatbread every year and is proud of her Norwegian heritage.  And my dad was in the US Navy for 28 years.  He was involved in Operation Crossroad and retired as a chief petty officier.  I thought it was a nice ad.

PASS LAKE. That's great, good for her. And nothing wrong with another language at home or in a small community of like people. I hope that she has been able to pass along some of those recipes. But in public I feel it should be English, not to do so is disrespectful and rude.  ;D ;D

RON. English 2nd language?? Horsepatoot. that's fine in mexico, not America. English should be first, Yabba dooo second. Doing otherwise proves they do NOT intend to be Americans.  >:( >:(
Before you make yourself look more silly, a first language or languages, are what a child grows up with and learns how to speak without being taught.

English as a second language courses are taught, I took one in college because I wanted to see what they consisted of, helps persons who naturally speak foreign languages learn the peculiarities of American English ---- and ---- those teaching English to these people how not to come across as an arrogant (censored word) because those learning often come from cultures extremely different from the U.S. of A.
Students coming from other countries, some attend these college courses so they can go back to their homeland and teach them how to understand the U.S. society operates as phrase that are simply the norm here can be very, very confusing to those in other countries because even if they speak English, they do not understand our idioms.

Offline m-g Willy

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2014, 07:57:55 PM »

Why did your ancestors?

My mother's father came from Germany right before WWI .
When war broke out my grandfather was an AMERICAN and was proud of his country and took up arms against Germany.
When WWII broke out two of his sons went to war as Americans.
btw- When my mother was growing up she never heard any german spoken in her house.
My grandfather learned English on his own.
My point is even though my grandfather was proud to be German,, Once he was in America he was an American and loyal to ONLY the USA!

Offline DDZ

« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2014, 01:29:25 AM »
again except the personal satisfaction for the individual who was boycotting.  I doubt it would matter to their bottom line.
Besides I'd hate to see the Coca-Cola Polar Bears unemployed. Whats a bear to do ? :)
Semper Fi

I don't drink any kind of soda or fruit drinks, and I will pay close attention to any other product that Coke makes, so I don't accidently buy it. No It won't make a dent in their bottom line, but I know none of my money will being going to a company that supports homosexuality, abortion, liberal environmental groups, and a progressive push for multiculturalism.
I really don't understand Cokes position. They are pandering to the multicultural leftists, who constantly target companies like Coke-Cola and paint them as villains for promoting sugary drinks that aid in obesity. With nanny staters like Bloomberg, and Michelle Obama who oppose companies like Coke cola that traffic sugary drinks. One would think they would be a bit more hesitant to not upset their conservative customers.

For those of you that are supporting this add from Coke, I don't suppose it would make much difference to you then if Coke-Cola would have used the National Anthem for their little pro multiculturalism/homosexual message. After all this is the norm, right? Its what America has become, right? So why not just embrace it with the rest of the nanny state leftists. Right?   Some of you want to support this kind of garbage go right ahead. Don't complain when employees at your local businesses can't speak English, and you have no clue what they are saying.  Maybe you can go take some courses in Spanish, French, or Arabic.   

Teddy Roosevelt had one thing right when he said: " We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. For we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, and American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding house; and we have room for but one sole loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people."   

Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline scootrd

« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2014, 11:35:29 AM »
For those of you that are supporting this add from Coke, I don't suppose it would make much difference to you then if Coke-Cola would have used the National Anthem for their little pro multiculturalism/homosexual message. After all this is the norm, right? Its what America has become, right? So why not just embrace it with the rest of the nanny state leftists. Right?   Some of you want to support this kind of garbage go right ahead. Don't complain when employees at your local businesses can't speak English, and you have no clue what they are saying.  Maybe you can go take some courses in Spanish, French, or Arabic.   

[
Previous Superbowl ad..
 Ahh the good ole days when irrelevant grumpy old  men didn't get their girly panties in a wad and go off the deep end over a commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib-Qiyklq-Q

I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony,

I'd like to buy the world a Coke and keep it company.

It's the real thing, Coke is what the world wants today.

Semper Fi

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2014, 12:05:52 PM »
The only way to make that crap taste good is to add some Jack Daniels to it. ;)

Offline powderman

« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2014, 12:27:46 PM »
BOB. In the sense that ENGLISH would be 2nd learned for a foreigner you would be right, but that is not my understanding of English as a 2nd language. Mine is that the foreign language would be retained as their primary language here, only using English when necessary. Maybe I'm wrong.

MG-WILLY. Your family did it the right way, as it should be. I still say coke is pandering to criminals. POWDERMAN.  :o :o

Offline scootrd

« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2014, 01:10:07 PM »
The only way to make that crap taste good is to add some Jack Daniels to it. ;)

Speaking of .... I tried the JD Tenn. Honey (2 rocks, short glass). I'm hooked.
Think I have a new after Mow the yard deck drink. !!!!
Hven't tried the Jim Beam Honey yet.

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2014, 04:00:15 PM »

It's the real thing! ;)

The "whining xenophobic idiots" are the  people who built the country to which 3d world primitives come for a "better life." 

Maybe you should go to their country  so you too can pee on  the sidewalk instead of use indoor plumbing.  You seem to  have a great fondness for people who live that way.

Yeah.  See how he likes it. 

Many times liberals choose to live in conservative areas.  How come?  They should go live where the area is more 'inclusive'.  Many would never do that.  They depend on the safety of the suburbs.  But come Monday morning they are spouting off their diversity stuff.  Kids in the suburbs, likewise, are taught when they want to defend their own group, they are told that is 'xenophobia'.  So, piss on'em!  Tell them to go live where there is plenty of diversity!   :P   Be tough and have balls.  What nerve they have to put that ad on an American television.  That ad should make every red blooded man's blood boil.   >:(   

Now we see Rand Paul bending in the direction of Immigration Reform.  I always knew he was a softy.  But here in California we have tough Congressmen like Rohrbacher who isn't going to get pushed around.  And he's for bringing the troops home too.   Non of this McCain Immigration stuff and Iran stuff. Protect the borders.   

Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline scootrd

« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2014, 04:48:59 PM »
Have a coke and a smile...

Offline powderman

« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2014, 06:11:20 PM »
Have a coke and a smile...

I have no problem with that, as long as it's in ENGLISH. POWDERMAN.  :D :D

Offline don29

« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2014, 08:30:48 AM »

very nice testimony.

IMO, FWIW, i believe that retaining one's hertige, language and customs in their homes and lives IS acceptable, commendable and understandable. but one must also make an effort to blend with their NEW choice of life.

having lived in socal most of my adult life, i have witnessed the latin culture that lives within become highly agressive to the point of being bullyish and overbearing in that they DEMAND the ways of another country/culture be taught and be forced on all other members of  the community...they brazenly fly a foreign flag over the flag of the United States and DEMAND by way of violence in demonstration, that the culture of our U.S. be changed to the very culture they chose to "Leave behind"...go figure...why leave "The old country" to begin with?

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2014, 02:13:16 AM »

very nice testimony.

IMO, FWIW, i believe that retaining one's hertige, language and customs in their homes and lives IS acceptable, commendable and understandable. but one must also make an effort to blend with their NEW choice of life.

having lived in socal most of my adult life, i have witnessed the latin culture that lives within become highly agressive to the point of being bullyish and overbearing in that they DEMAND the ways of another country/culture be taught and be forced on all other members of  the community...they brazenly fly a foreign flag over the flag of the United States and DEMAND by way of violence in demonstration, that the culture of our U.S. be changed to the very culture they chose to "Leave behind"...go figure...why leave "The old country" to begin with?

Well, there you go.  One group assimilated and the other doesn't.  What's the difference?  Look at the countries each group came from.   ;)   
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.