Author Topic: Best Pallet wood Pardner stock I've seen.  (Read 2799 times)

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Best Pallet wood Pardner stock I've seen.
« on: February 04, 2014, 02:18:53 AM »
while I've reshaped a few stocks for myself most are fairly plain.  My 12 gauge stock has so many flaws that it even gives it "character".  However, this one has a nice tight, dark pattern on the right side and even some curly on the left.

You can't see the grain with the opaque single coat that H&R gives their wood.  This stock has one flaw though.  It HAINT mine.  It belongs to a fellow forum member.  Thought about just ripping out a chunk of an old pine 2x6 and see if he could tell the difference but I quess I'll have to part with it.  Just wanted you guys to see a good piece of wood (even birch) can be found on a Pardner.

Offline stewmagoo

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
Re: Best Pallet wood Pardner stock I've seen.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 02:56:25 AM »
Wow that is a beautiful piece of wood. I am for sure that the lucky owner will be pleased

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 03:05:00 AM »
Rub it in Stew.  I'm still looking at that old split piece of pine 2x6.  It could work.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 03:43:15 AM »
That is a very fine pallet wood right there.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 06:32:26 AM »
That is a very fine pallet wood right there.

Best I've seen in pallet wood.  I have a rifle stock with recoil pad and stud that looks pretty good but you can't see grain through the H&R opaque finish.  I'm going to remove the stud and reshape it for my 12 gauge.  It could use a pad.  The 12 gauge stock will move to my .44 with open sights and my 20 will remain as is.  Also have an older style forearm without the snabble that I could use with it.  The problem with the snabble (excuse spelling) is that you  cannot remove enough wood from the bottom to keep it from coming out a little darker then the rest of the wood without leaving the attachment screw sticking out too far.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 08:03:51 AM »
I think it's spelled Schnabel. I ran into the same thing when I refinished mine, dark spots.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 03:32:21 PM »
Rub it in Stew.  I'm still looking at that old split piece of pine 2x6.  It could work.

'Bout 12 years or so ago, I saw a guy peddling a mountain bike, towing a home-built trailer on the main road going to Thorne Bay on Prince of Wales Island.  Across the handlebar he had what looked like an H&R with a chunk of 2x4 for stock.  I slammed on the brakes to talked to him.  He said it had been his "camp gun" in Wisconsin, that it had a pistol stock then.  When he went to Alaska the law dogs told him it had to be over what, 32" (?) so he scabbed on a piece of junk wood he found to make it legal!  He said they accepted it.   ::)

~WH~
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 01:20:24 AM »
Saw an article about a guy who used 1' PVC to make a full lerngth stock on a Cricket .22 rifle for backpacking.  Painted it black and put a cap on the adult length butt and it looked pretty darn good/

Offline JB Weld

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
  • Fix anything from brokn heart to the crack of dawn
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 01:29:42 AM »
Saw an article about a guy who used 1' PVC to make a full lerngth stock on a Cricket .22 rifle for backpacking.  Painted it black and put a cap on the adult length butt and it looked pretty darn good/

I read that as well (The Backwoodsman) . It was an interesting project and it did turn out looking pretty good.

~ Multi-Trillionare Truth ~

"Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. Captain, that is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."  ~Stonewall Jackson~  24 July 1861

Sappers Forward - 12BP

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 01:35:47 AM »
My son has a Crickett, those are great little rifles. Especially for backpacking, his weighs around 2.5 lbs. With synthetic stocks.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 01:23:37 AM »
My son has a Crickett, those are great little rifles. Especially for backpacking, his weighs around 2.5 lbs. With synthetic stocks.

I've thought about getting one for myself if I could find one with an adult length stock and in .22 mag.  That rear peep looked a little fragil but think it could work.  When I was a young-un i often heard ads for .22's as having the "heft and feel" of a big game rifle.  Thought that was stupid.  Like buying a sports car advertised as "it drives like a big truck".

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 04:33:40 AM »

I've thought about getting one for myself if I could find one with an adult length stock and in .22 mag.  That rear peep looked a little fragil but think it could work.  When I was a young-un i often heard ads for .22's as having the "heft and feel" of a big game rifle.  Thought that was stupid.  Like buying a sports car advertised as "it drives like a big truck".

Do you have a Walmart near you that sells guns? They could order one for you. The peep sights are a little cheesy but they work and the guns are accurate. The adult models can be had with walnut stocks, too. I'd like to get one at some point.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 11:17:20 AM »
Oh yeah.  We have a Walmart but the only Cricket I've seen there is pink.  I quess they would have to order an adult stock one.

Offline cudatruck

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 10:28:16 PM »
cricket makes a 22 mag. also they make a model 10 bolt action 20 ga smooth bore or rifled.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 01:30:07 AM »
The light weight single shot rimfire I really want is the Henry Accu-Bolt.  Has two problems though.  It is very pricy (over $400) and it comes only in bright stainless steel.  Stainless is fine but blue the thing before you sell it.  I've never owned a bright metal shotgun or rifle and I can't see having to use a can of Crylon on a $400 rifle.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 01:44:48 AM »
Thoses Henry's are definitely nice but that's pricey.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 01:23:50 AM »
Thoses Henry's are definitely nice but that's pricey.

The Accu-Bolt is not the lever actions most associate with Henry.  It is a single shot rimfire bolt action that is supposed to be very accurate.  Comes only in bright stainless.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 06:29:45 AM »
I saw those on the website, they look similar to the Cricketts actually.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 09:55:54 PM »
I found a 12g Pardner at a local BiMart that had a stock almost that pretty on it.  I couldn't buy it fast enough...  Anyway that stock is now on my .45-70 and the 12g pardner now wears the plastic from the .45-70.  Not sure what I'm going to do with the Pardner, it's not like I had a shortage of 12g shotguns before that.

Tony

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 08:34:13 PM »
I found a 12g Pardner at a local BiMart that had a stock almost that pretty on it.

I have a hard time seeing the grain with the factory opaque finish they put on them.  When Stew sent the stock to me I could see that it had very good promise.  You see it better once you have the finish off and when you're finished shaping it and hit it with the first coat of walnut stain it will jump out at you.  You might consider refinishing it.  I used 3 coats of walnut stain and two coats of boiled linseed oil on Stews.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 07:45:35 PM »

I have a hard time seeing the grain with the factory opaque finish they put on them.  When Stew sent the stock to me I could see that it had very good promise.  You see it better once you have the finish off and when you're finished shaping it and hit it with the first coat of walnut stain it will jump out at you.  You might consider refinishing it.  I used 3 coats of walnut stain and two coats of boiled linseed oil on Stews.

Refinishing it and installing a recoil pad is on the agenda to get done by the end of March.  I also bought some stuff that is supposed to make the grain stand out.  I can't remember what it's called or where I put it at the moment.  I'll have to find it before I start the project...

Tony