Author Topic: Scalia issues warning...  (Read 596 times)

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
Scalia issues warning...
« on: February 04, 2014, 10:54:33 AM »
He said in Hawaii that WWII style internment camps could happen again.  Granted it was in an educational setting but perhaps it was some sort of a veiled warning to be wary of the future.  He might know something...  Or it could have been a general warning that we should always be vigilant and to not let war-time fervor outweigh our common sense.

NGH
"I feared for my life!"

Offline Conan The Librarian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • McDonalds. Blecch!
Re: Scalia issues warning...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 11:52:48 AM »
I don't think it was a warning as much as it was a scholarly interpretation of how things work. The supreme court routinely makes bad decisions that genuinely harm lots of people. For example, we have no property rights since Kelo. Look at all the 5 to 4 decisions. A lot of them make you wonder how they could possibly justify their votes as constitutional.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 05:09:52 AM »
Well I think it was a warning of sorts. I think he was warning that the supreme court is not the all great defender of liberty and the constitution but is subject to making political decisions. The ruling on the constitutionality of Obamacare is the perfect example. To find it constitutional he had to stretch credibility by calling the penalty a "tax" even though Obama and the congressional Democrats who passed  the bill emphatically denied it was a tax and the wording of the bill itself defines a penalty, not a tax. I think he knew that was a disgraceful decision but was forced to go along and he foresees things becoming even more political in the future as they build on the past.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Conan The Librarian

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 06:11:22 AM »
CoyoteJoe,

I totally agree with you on that.

Offline magooch

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 03:53:14 PM »
Justice Scalia is only one of two on the Supreme Court that seems to own a pair and I doubt that he believes that idiotic ruling by Roberts was anything but sophistry and a cop out.
Swingem

Offline don29

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 06:53:54 AM »
i also read that roberts was under a threat from the administration.
bill o'reilly said he believes the AHCA will be repealed...not that o'rielly is the final authority..but he may be correct...all is NOT going well and BO is in denial to believe that all is going well...Americans by a huge margin...do NOT approve of this traversty and are fighting it...BO is desparately trying to preserve, what he believes, is his "Legacy"...he fails to realize, that he truly is the worst american president in history...period...

Offline magooch

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 04:49:45 AM »
Sir, you are a master of the understatement.
Swingem