Author Topic: Slightly different stock question  (Read 939 times)

Offline TonyS

• Trade Count: (0)
Slightly different stock question
« on: February 04, 2014, 01:20:42 PM »
I have a ultravarmint .223 that is ridiculously accurate.  When I sighted it in at 100 yds I was po'd because through the spotting scope I could only find one hole for the 4 I shot.  Turned out, when I got up to the target, that there was one crease at the hole.

So I want something special for this gun.  It is wearing that awful pallet wood stock and deserves better.

Short of buying a blank for the quality that I want, is there any manufacturer that is selling really quality wood stocks?  While I thought the 'fiddle back maple" was almost nice, it isn't quite the quality I want.  I went through the nine page epic of handi's restocked and didn't see what I am looking for with this rifle.

Would it be possible to buy the blank and send it to one of the manufacturers who is set up to carve it out on their computerized machine?

I know I am guilding the lily but out of all you fanatics, anyone else have the same crazy thought?  You know, some turkish walnut #3 or #4 figured so that it makes you sigh before you pick it up?

Thanks!

Offline HWB13

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: Slightly different stock question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 02:43:48 PM »
Don't know of anyone who does Handi stocks from your blank, maybe someone who has been here longer than I may.  But Gun Stocks Inc is very popular around here.  I have them in my sights for at least 2 upcoming projects.

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Plate-pics/NEF-stocks/Handi-rifle-stocks.htm

Kevin   
Handi's:17 Mach2, 17 HMR,17 WSM, 22LR, 22 Win Mag, 204 Ruger, 22 Hornet UV, 22-250 UV, 25-06, 30-30, 35 Whelen, 30-06, 20gaX2, 20GA ultra Slug, 12ga ultra slug, 12 ga Turkey, H&W 45-70 BC X2, 45 LC CC, 44 Mag, 500 S&W and 140+ non-H&R types

If you have to shoot more than once you should not have shot the first time.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 02:46:21 PM »
Tony, this ain't the answer your looking for.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Yeah you can put a new pretty, fancy stock on it, but it likes the one it's on.  Restocking it could open a whole new can of worms.  It may have to be bedded, etc to get it back where it was.  Think about going to a public range, and Fancy Dan next to you with his classy custom rifle wants to shoot against you with your mousy single shot......and you shoot his pants off :o   That's fun.  If you don't believe me, ask gendoc.

The other thing is I own and live on a farm.  At least one of my guns rides in the truck with me around the woods and fields.  They're in and out of the truck, out in snow, rain, mud, etc.  I don't own beautifully stocked rifles.  They work for a living.  Mine are on camo synthetics for the light recoilers, Laminated stocks for the beefier ones and a few still linger with pallet wood.

If I were you, I'd put those bucks into another one or two Sub MOA Handis...Just my two cents.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 02:49:31 PM »
Personally if it were mine I would leave it alone and PO a lot of people at the range by out shooting their fancy good looking guns,maybe even shoot them for pinks lol
Congratulations on having a Great butt ugly rifle (they are the best)
George
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline HWB13

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 02:54:06 PM »
Pete and George have great points, they are ones to listen to.
Kevin   
Handi's:17 Mach2, 17 HMR,17 WSM, 22LR, 22 Win Mag, 204 Ruger, 22 Hornet UV, 22-250 UV, 25-06, 30-30, 35 Whelen, 30-06, 20gaX2, 20GA ultra Slug, 12ga ultra slug, 12 ga Turkey, H&W 45-70 BC X2, 45 LC CC, 44 Mag, 500 S&W and 140+ non-H&R types

Offline stewmagoo

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 03:36:40 PM »
I agree. Matter of fact if its too ugly. I will take it off of your hands. Don't change a thing. No tweaking. You are lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PineyCreek22

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 04:11:44 PM »
I have a ultravarmint .223 that is ridiculously accurate.  When I sighted it in at 100 yds I was po'd because through the spotting scope I could only find one hole for the 4 I shot.  Turned out, when I got up to the target, that there was one crease at the hole.

So I want something special for this gun.  It is wearing that awful pallet wood stock and deserves better.

Short of buying a blank for the quality that I want, is there any manufacturer that is selling really quality wood stocks?  While I thought the 'fiddle back maple" was almost nice, it isn't quite the quality I want.  I went through the nine page epic of handi's restocked and didn't see what I am looking for with this rifle.

Would it be possible to buy the blank and send it to one of the manufacturers who is set up to carve it out on their computerized machine?

I know I am guilding the lily but out of all you fanatics, anyone else have the same crazy thought?  You know, some turkish walnut #3 or #4 figured so that it makes you sigh before you pick it up?

Thanks!
I am going to take a different track than most of the posts on this subject.  My fascination with the  H&R Handi Rifle platform is that it is a design more than 100 years old, with some recent technological manufacturing  refinements.  It is within the price range that is available to almost anyone.  With low cost manufacturing standards a very accurate firearm.  Pleasing to look at and a joy to use in the field.  With all that said, I believe that one can take the Handi platform and customize it with improved fit and finishes, stock and trigger job and have a rifle at least equal to one costing $1,000.00 or more.  Not many would be willing to pay that but it is worth it to me.  After all, look at the 1911; all it is is a military sidearm of a design well over 100 years old.  Yet, people gladly lay down $2500.00 and more for a customized version.      To answer the question, Wenig Gunstocks in Lincoln Missouri can supply just about anything you want for a gunstock.   www.wenig.com
Piney Creek

custom .357 mag monoblock, custom 30-30 Handi

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 04:21:18 PM »
I dunno.  I really love my Boyds Camo Laminate Thumbhole.  I notice a discernible difference in perceived recoil and it feels nicer in my hands.  I'd personally recommend giving one a shot.  They aren't the most expensive, but I get a lot of compliments on it every time I bring it out.  ;)

Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 04:42:55 AM »
Spend some time looking at pics here on the Handi's and what types of stocks have been/are available from the factory. They bolt right up and make your rifle easily 'customized' at not too great a price. Putting wood on yours that the factory never did is a nice change up, and I tend to swap wood around a couple times a year as my moods change (way cheaper than a mistress/divorce).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline craigster

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 10:16:55 AM »
I say go for it!
The rifle shoots so it deserves it!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 11:26:59 AM »
Well.. I have and subscribe to BOTH schools...  I have nice guns and I have humpers. Most guys LOVE a accurate rifle and there is NO SUCH THING s a ugly accurate rifle.  :o ::) ;D ;D ;D

Best answer you will get is: Do what YOU want! After all its YOUR GUN!!  ;D ;D

I was where you are once... I spent a couple hundred on a gunstocks fancy walnut thumbhole stock... It was a CHUNK!! Didn't shoot any different, but was now something I wasn't gonna carry anywhere... even from my tail gate to the bench... I sold it off and bought a bunch of camo syn stocks. ;)

Just like Peter, I have both Camo syns and laminated wood stocks. I just pulled a ugly green stock out of the rafters... I stripped it down and was pleased to find my ugly green stock was awful Purdy underneath that green... I have refinished it and its a beauty. I have a 17 Hornet that doesn't see much duty in the field accept occasionally on a nice July or August morning looking over a cut clover field. SO, I mounted the stocks on it.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline HWB13

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 11:31:50 AM »
The dipping looks cool, but it is a bit pricey
Kevin   

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 03:31:34 PM »
Boyds stocks are nice looking and very affordable, so why not.  I don't see another hundred and a quarter for a nice stock to be so much and a Boyds laminate is less than that...

I had a .223 like that too then I got a .223 bolt gun that was just as good but both had 1 in 12 twist.  I traded off the .223 for a .25-06 barrel and so far it's looking like it's almost as accurate as the .223.   I'll know more after I dial in the hand loads. 

Tony

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 04:01:51 PM »
While reading the recent posts I had a memory of my old buddy Joe Roy. we were both young dumb kids with a love for cars and womens ;D ,
I had a tricked out 57 Ford with a cross bolted 427 complete with 2 4bbl carbs,custom metallic blue paint and a black naughadyde interior, and chrome reversed wheels.... it was a beautiful beast.Joe Roy had a 55 Plymouth 4 door sedan Butt ugly complete with mismatched colors from junkyard body parts but under the hood he had a 426 Hemi with a lot of goodies. Word got out that George's Ford was bad news leave it alone, but everybody kept their mouth shut about Joe Roys Plymouth cause the didn't want anyone to know that he whooped them really bad so Joe Roy kept plucking them for their paychecks on a deserted Farm road while I had to wait for someone from out of town that was to stupid to believe a Ford could outrun a Chev.
 Just for the record on any given day we had to have a judge at the finish line to decide which one won when we raced each other (they were that close).
The moral of this story is :
Do not judge a car rifle or a person by the way they look, You might lose ...................
George
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline TonyS

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 08:04:41 AM »
Thank you PineyCreek 22,

That was EXACTLY what I was looking for.  Now the question is, which wood do I pick?  And I guess I have to call to find out how much.

Funny how when you find what you really want they don't need to put the price up.

Kinda like looking at a Connecticutt Shotgun catalog.  They know if you have it in your hands something is going to be way outta your budget but you will mortgage your wife, kids, the house and the dog to have it.

Thanks again!