Author Topic: Bulllet info.  (Read 1911 times)

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
Bulllet info.
« on: February 06, 2014, 04:21:44 PM »
These 3 bullets are all the same weight, 139grs.  They are 7mm or .284

One on the left is a hornady spire point boat tail
One on the far right is a hornady interbond

I'm trying to find out what the middle bullet is, it is 139gr but considerably longer.  I think it is a all copper bullet, the only info I have is its called "big game".  I know if its copper and longer I can't just use a random 139 gr start load.

Any bullet experts out there?

Thanks
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Bulllet info.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »
Looks like the Hornady 7mm 139 gr. GMX

Someone with a newer edition of the Hornady Loading Manual could give you some load data. I'm behind a few editions and don't have any help.

http://www.hornady.com/store/7MM-.284-139-gr-GMX/

Bill

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 04:34:42 PM »
i'm sure no expert.
it's either like ogb said,
or a barnes x
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 04:36:04 PM »
i should also have wrote that
if you're not aware, barnes
uses different data
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 05:08:14 PM »
revbc - Like OR-E-Gun-Bill said it's a Hornady GMX (#28270).  According to the Hornady 8th Edition.  The starting loads are the same as those for the Hornady 139 gr. SST (Super Shock Tip #28202), SP (Spire Point #2820), IB (InterBond #28209), and the BTSP (Boat Tail Spire Point#2825).

Since you didn't specify what powder your using, here are some starting loads & MAX LOADS, with powder I have:

IMR4064 - 34.1gr. - 41.1gr.
Varget    - 33.5gr. - 41.5gr.
RL-15      - 35.0gr - 41.9gr.

If the powder you use isn't listed above, let me know what you use.  I'll look up start and max loads if possible.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 06:09:50 PM »
HOLD THE TRAIN !!
Nowhere in the OP did I see what cartridge this bullet was to be loaded in. I see weight and caliber only. !!
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline theratdog

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 10:12:32 PM »
looks like a barns.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 02:53:24 AM »
Thanks for the help guys.  I shoot both a 7mm-08 and a 7-30 Waters.  Prolly only the 08 for this bullet in question, Waters may not go fast enough for it.

OldSchool...........

The other two powders I use are H4895 and W760.  Hodgdon gives me a starting load of 40.5 for Varget with a 139gr Horn Sp in a 7mm-08.  If your data is for a 7mm-08 there is quite a difference.

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 06:57:09 AM »
As to whether that middle bullet is solid copper or not can be determined in just a few minutes by using a file. It will ruin that bullet but that's the only damage it would do.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 07:27:01 AM »
HOLD THE TRAIN !!
Nowhere in the OP did I see what cartridge this bullet was to be loaded in. I see weight and caliber only. !!
BBF - For some reason, I thought since it's revbc, I figured it was for the 7mm-08, since he's a Handiholic. ;D   But your correct, I should have asked him to make sure.

Thanks for the help guys.  I shoot both a 7mm-08 and a 7-30 Waters.  Prolly only the 08 for this bullet in question, Waters may not go fast enough for it.

OldSchool...........

The other two powders I use are H4895 and W760.  Hodgdon gives me a starting load of 40.5 for Varget with a 139gr Horn Sp in a 7mm-08.  If your data is for a 7mm-08 there is quite a difference.
The info I gave you was for a 139gr Hornady SP bullet for 7mm-08.  The start load of 33.5gr. is correct, I double checked it yesterday, and I just looked at it again before, I posted this. 

With Varget, the start load of 33.5 gr. gets you 2400fps,
                                               35.5 gr. gets you 2500fps,
                                               37.5 gr. gets you 2600fps,
                                               39.5 gr. gets you 2700fps,
                           Max Load of 41.5 gr. gets you 2800fps.  Info from 8th Edition, published in 2010.

H4895 is not listed in the 8th edition, or my older Hornady 3rd Edition, published in 1980 (1985-fifth printing).

W760 start load is: 40.1 gr. at 2400fps, and MAX Load is 48.9gr. at 2900fps.  This is from the 8th Edition.

For comparison,  W760 start load is: 39.6 gr. at 2200fps, and MAX Load is 44.0gr. at 2500fps.  This is from the 3th Edition.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 07:55:34 AM »
OldSchool...........

revbc - Now you made me curious, I just went and checked a couple of other loading manuals.  And your correct, the Hodgdon's 2013 Annual Manual for the 139gr, HDY SP for:
Varget a starting load of 40.5gr. at 2721fps, and a MAX load of 43.5gr. for 2877fps.

The Hodgdon's manual also has:
H4895 listed at a start load of 39.0gr at 2678fps, and a MAX load of 42.5gr. for 2857fps.

Modern Reloading by Richard Lee (1996) for the 139gr. jacketed bullet, doesn't list loads using H4895, W760, or Varget. 

It does list:       RL-15 starting load - 38.5gr -  Max 43.0gr.
                    IMR4064 starting load - 38.0gr. - Max 42.5gr. 

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 08:51:37 AM »
OldSchool..............

Is the 33.5 grs of Varget good for the GMX bullet or just the spire points and the like.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 09:23:11 AM »
OldSchool..............

Is the 33.5 grs of Varget good for the GMX bullet or just the spire points and the like.

revbc -  According to the Hornady 8th Edition.  The starting loads are the same as those for the Hornady 139 gr. SST (Super Shock Tip #28202), SP (Spire Point #2820), IB (InterBond #28209), and the BTSP (Boat Tail Spire Point#2825), and the GMX (Gilding Metal Expanding #28270) bullets.

Thought I had that in there.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2014, 12:15:36 PM »
Thank you, and all for your help.

Looks like they throttled the loads back to include that bullet.  What do ya think?

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2014, 04:44:49 PM »
I think it's just a result of all the lawyers involved, and our litigious society.  All those sue happy people, who are always trying to blame someone else, for their own errors.  If you check through some old loading manuals, you'll find most, if not all, start and maximum loads have been lowered.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 05:25:34 PM »
The lowering of charges make sense. The Gilding metal bullets are longer than the standard lead filled ones which means they sit deeper into the case. Also a solid bullet is harder to engrave with the rifling. That can be somewhat equalized by designing a bullet with more taper resulting in a small contact area. Case capacity however is still reduced with the longer bullet.
Being a Handi does give some leeway for the COL.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 01:18:52 AM »
Sorry BFF,

I am a Handi guy; however, this 7mm-08 is one of the new Scout V2's.  The chamber is cut really tight.  I loaded some 140 gr Sierra sp's and the COL is a little shorter than book specs with the bullet set about  .010 deeper than the rifling.

Don't exactly remember the #'s, cause I use a comparator and set my depth from the ogive.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 01:15:11 PM »
OK, then COL is pertinent in your case. That Sierra bullet is probably noticeable shorter than the GMX.
I looked back on a previous post in which it was written that the Starting loads were the same for all the applicable bullets. The key word here is STARTING. ;)