Author Topic: Did I find a good 'un?  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Goatwhiskers

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Did I find a good 'un?
« on: February 07, 2014, 04:36:02 AM »
Can't wait to get some cases to load and see what I've got.  Picked up a .444 Handi, wood stocked, CBA prefix, and a Gardner produced barrel.  Pretty darn good shape, tho the latch is oiled up slicker than mule snot.  Has a NC Star 3-12x50 scope with the red illuminator dot--why I really can't imagine.  Don't know anything about the brand.  Will probably put one of my 4x on it.  Got to finish checking it out, don't plan to shoot anything but cast in it, probably PP.  To my peanut mind the .444 is basically a straight walled 45/70 that I can expect comparable performance from as I don't practice the max load routine, rather put the bullet where it counts.  Gonna be fun!  GW

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Did I find a good 'un?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 07:43:17 AM »
The trip4 is a nice cartridge. I have had three in Marlins and loaded with 265sp worked beautifully!!!

That loading is gone but hand loaded with the same bullet or a couple other of like weight it's still a great game getter on the order of the grand dad 45/70.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Jeff H

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 08:13:54 AM »
GW, are you planning on shooting any cast in that one?

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 10:45:51 AM »
Got to finish checking it out, don't plan to shoot anything but cast in it, probably PP.

I believe shooting cast is what GW is intimating....  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Please forgive me, that was too hard to resist!

~WH~
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 10:56:02 AM »
if i didn't like my 280 grain mold so much

i would get that LEE   310 gc mold....for it

or do you already have a mold in mind??
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Goatwhiskers

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 11:11:40 AM »
What I have on hand right now is a Lyman 429244 that I converted to make a WFP style.  I'm using it in my .44Mag both GC and PP, showing promise tho I'm not thru load development.  Considering getting something for a heavier boolit.  GW

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 11:42:28 AM »
Congrats GW!!  ;) Here's one of the loads I shot in my first 444 Handi, .432" 355gr Beartooths.  8)

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Jeff H

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 01:51:49 PM »
Got to finish checking it out, don't plan to shoot anything but cast in it, probably PP.

I believe shooting cast is what GW is intimating....  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Please forgive me, that was too hard to resist!

~WH~

Oh, for cryin' out loud!  How did I miss THAT? :o

Anyway, the reason I asked is that I have a few 432-265 RDO FPs cast up I's be willing to exchange for a range report.

GW, PM me if you're interested.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 04:58:28 PM »
Here are some of my loads :)   The load was 20 gr of 2400 and the 310 gr Lee (no GC) in a short Hornady case but seated out to the same OAL as the Rem brass would be.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline theratdog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 07:33:15 PM »
how easy is it to get brass for reloading.looks fun enjoy. :)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 01:24:28 AM »
how easy is it to get brass for reloading.looks fun enjoy. :)

I would check out vendors Midsouth and Midway. I haven't bought any myself in years as I have accumulated some over the years. You could also put up a WTB add in our classifieds.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 03:10:47 AM »
I think you will enjoy it ! Just try to hit the penny when you are testing loads, doesn't look like Quick and twoshooter can ;D ;D ;D ;D
George
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline Goatwhiskers

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 03:11:11 AM »
Rat, at this moment in time none of the regular vendors had any that I could find.  A popular person on this site is sending me a few which should last me easily until I can find some back in stock.  Those long straight cases hold up amazingly well unless you're one of those that likes to push the limits.  For example in my Max I don't resize and have honestly lost track of how many times they have been loaded.  GW

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 08:37:01 AM »
Check out what www.Luckygunner.com has for .444 LEVERevolution.  They claim to have 11 boxes in stock...

~WH~
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Goatwhiskers

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 11:08:10 AM »
Jeepman, with my 30/40AI I can do it.  With this fat slug how will I be able to prove that I hit it when it's gone?  GW

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 11:21:40 AM »
I can't hit quarters either!!  :-[  ::) :o ;D

Tim

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 06:59:06 PM »
Tim, just move that quarter to the right 1" and up about a 1/2" and I bet you will start hitting it ;D  It's in the FAQs ;)

Offline theratdog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 08:50:13 PM »
quick you just need a bigger bullet. ;D

Offline Goatwhiskers

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 07:42:43 AM »
Just had to share this.  I have a shop out in a very rural area, so I should be used to repairing what Bubba "fixed".  Broke this one down to clean the excess oil off the latch, first thing found red loc-tite on the scope clamp screws.  Worst of all tho was the BLACK TAPE wrapped around the pivot pin to take out the slack that now is there.  Now I know exactly what club handed fool worked on it before me, this guy has a gun store!   Lemme go back to work.  GW 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 08:32:34 AM »
That's pretty sad.  :(

Tim

Offline Goatwhiskers

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 08:50:08 AM »
At least now ya'll know another way to tighten up a loose pivot.  GW

Offline Jeff H

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 09:15:53 AM »
Man, the tape thing is terrible.  I'd be looking for a refund and seeing what mercy the fella selling a .444 barrel on the classifieds might take on you.

You could probably fix the one you have but unless you flat out rescued it from the recycle bin, it doesn't seem worth it after you actually paid for it.  Buggered screws, scratches, dings are one thing but the tape indicates to me that someone knew there was a problem and was either dumb enough to try to fix it with tape or sneaky enough to try to hide the problem with tape - and it's not just a cosmetic problem. That was hidden beyond what is obvious and observable without tearing it down - which not everyone is willing to let you do until it's yours.

I don't like throwing stones but that just really seems a well beyond what anyone should reasonably expect when they buy a firearm.

Offline Goatwhiskers

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 12:01:27 PM »
Trouble is when you buy from a pawn shop it's pretty much what you see is what you get.  You should have seen the electric tape inside the forend.  That having been said, I'm supposed to be a gunsmith, able to fix screwed up stuff.  Tim, you might want to comment on this idea.  In the good old days we used to tighten up a loose single barrel shotgun by replacing the hinge pin.  You knock out the old one, clamp the barrel in place, then use a tapered reamer to clean the hole.   The replacement pin is tapered like the reamer, approximately .015/inch.  Determine the required length, cut and dress suitably, and drive into place.  Cold blue the bare ends.  Reaming the hole with the barrel clamped in place assures that the lug matches.  I still have the required equipment and ready made pins.  Only thing is that you wouldn't be able to switch barrels, no matter to me.  Idle speculation makes me wonder of the slight taper of the pin would have any effect on accuracy, it would be locked up solidly.  Anyway, that's what I'm thinking about doing instead of a shim, altho a .004" shim does work.   Then I need to fix up what they did to the forend.  GW

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 12:16:33 PM »
It should work as long as you can make the tapered pin stay in place, the factory pin is splined on one end. I'd just build a shim for it, solder it in and cut it to fit with a 3/8" endmill similar to like they do at the factory.

Tim

Offline Jeff H

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 12:22:02 PM »
I've gotten my money back on a number of occasions where it was said it couldn't be done, but I can't go to those  places any more.  Maybe I could but I won't because they surely wouldn't be inclined to deal within the context of anything resembling good faith.  But, then, they hadn't in the first place.

I considered replacing the pin on one barrel I had but don't have the tooling, so I shimmed.  I know the switch-barrel idea is appealing to some, but I prefer a whole gun in lieu of a barrel, so that wouldn't deter me personally from going with a bigger pin.

You could still have multiple barrels for THAT receiver, but they just wouldn't fit any other receiver.  Any new barrel added would be sort of committed to that receiver without some extra work down the road.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 12:27:28 PM »
GW, if it's a factory fitted barrel, I'd just make arrangements to send it in and have it fixed by Brian, he'll put on a new barrel and whatever else it needs.  ;)

Tim