Author Topic: What's The Attraction?  (Read 4223 times)

Offline HWB13

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: What's The Attraction?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2014, 01:40:13 PM »
My first was an old used 20 ga, got it for 65 bucks for my step son to use.  The my BC and then the Hornet.  Noticed the barrel program had dreams of a multi-set.  Took me 20+ years before I ever got a barrel from the program.  Started my life with a model 66 410, still have it.  Figured I got more rabbits with my single than any of my friends with their fancy guns.  Then as I got older I noticed that even with my repeating arms I never shot more than once at a big game animal.  So I said to myself, self why do you need more than one in the gun at a time.  I fell in love with a RMEF 35 Whelen (Dinny if you ever sell yours I want to be the first to know :) ).  Ever since I has been a match made in heaven.  I could as AltLaw said in reason #2 I like all shapes and sizes and the handis fit right in.  Still have about 40 or so others that are not handis but the handis get the most play.  They feel right in your hand and in your shoulder.  They are fun to modify to any need, just got to love em.
Kevin   
Handi's:17 Mach2, 17 HMR,17 WSM, 22LR, 22 Win Mag, 204 Ruger, 22 Hornet UV, 22-250 UV, 25-06, 30-30, 35 Whelen, 30-06, 20gaX2, 20GA ultra Slug, 12ga ultra slug, 12 ga Turkey, H&W 45-70 BC X2, 45 LC CC, 44 Mag, 500 S&W and 140+ non-H&R types

If you have to shoot more than once you should not have shot the first time.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2014, 01:45:01 PM »
I've got two now.
One has a very modified trigger and after market stock the other is as the factory made it.

I like the simplicity and the ease to keep it clean. If I scratch it, it won't trigger foul language or tears and I like compact rifles without going to shorty barrels.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2014, 02:01:28 PM »
Now don't think that we're all just Handiholics and don't have any other rifles.  I am first and foremost a gun nut, and as stated before, other guns fill niches and that is why we have a variety of guns on the market.  All of those guns on the market have good points and bad points and each brand has some with FLAWS, as they are made by HUMAN HANDS!

If you don't want to take time to work with a gun, any gun, you will have less chance for success.

BW

Offline jdl41389

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2014, 03:24:50 PM »
I for one of many I am have never had any problem with any handi that I have owned which range from 223 to 45/70 accuracy or otherwise.

JDL

Offline Dee

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2014, 03:51:44 PM »
My 4570 most likely didn't need that much, but the 223 was awful. It shot more of a pattern than a group. I tried to zero it, and just couldn't get it done.
I have a large amount of 2506, 4570, and some 223. I might just invest in one in 223, and try a little harder. Such a compact rifle is appealing without giving up barrel length.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2014, 04:54:27 PM »
Here's why I like'em.

Opp's forgot one..............you know she would be jealous, Mrs. 356 ;)
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline Onesetoftracks

• One set of tracks and a buffalo rifle!
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2014, 06:21:48 PM »
I have a BC in 45-70, with a sight I built myself.  It's simple, kills anything I want, from any distance I want(usually under 100 yds.), and it didn't cost a fortune!!!!  That's the attraction!  Oh, and I've never had a problem with mine!!!

Rob
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing."   Edmond Burke

"I say we take off and nuke the site (Washington, DC) from orbit!  It's the only way to be sure."   Ripley

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2014, 06:30:50 PM »
1. I have yet to have one I couldn't make shoot sub-moa.
2. Relatively inexpensive, especially compared to a TC switchbarrel
3. Lightweight
4. Sleek and non-bulky, (mine anyway)
5. Personally modifible
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2014, 01:28:53 AM »
I have a BC in 45-70, with a sight I built myself.  It's simple, kills anything I want, from any distance I want(usually under 100 yds.), and it didn't cost a fortune!!!!  That's the attraction!  Oh, and I've never had a problem with mine!!!

Rob

very cool sight !!  I like.................... 8)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2014, 01:38:15 AM »
I've owned a bunch of Handis and never had a single problem.  The .45-70s have been among the most accurate .45-70s I've owned and I've owned a truck load of .45-70s.  I'd never buy one in a rimless caliber.  I like them because they are accurate, inexpensive, simple, light, and they work.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline littledog

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
  • I am a big dog I am a big dog
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2014, 01:59:52 AM »
Dee start over read FAQ then reread FAQ now you are ready to read FAQ now look at that 223  check it over take what you have learned and work with it. Ask nicely and the members here will help I bet that handi will shoot.
DON’T get in a gun fight with a buffalo hunter there is no such thing as cover against a 45 70

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2014, 05:09:41 AM »
It's the perfect tree stand gun. My max is perfect for my kids
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline lefty_red

• I'm way too young to feel this old!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
  • I'll be needing that for squirrels and such....
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2014, 06:38:27 AM »
Hmmm, I think most of my thoughts have already been stated:
1) They are cheap
2) They work right out of the box
3) They can be tinkered on
4) So many calibers, so little time
5) Hi, I am a South Paw!  :)

Yes, there are dirt cheap bolts out there right now.  They also work and are around $100-$150 more than the Handi.  They are just as utility as the Handi.
They are made for right handed folks.  Their stocks all suck!  I read allot about how most hate the stocks, they have a higher perceived recoil, and they are in only a few calibers. 

Personally, I have had good and bad rifles in all makes and models.  Handi's all seem to be decent shooters.

I would also say, the dislike for Handi's come from target and range shooters.  The Handi's I have shot in the flatter shooting .22 calibers and .30 calibers all started "open up" the groups after a few shots at the range.  But then would be a one shot/one kill rifle in the field because that is what matters.  If I shoot over three times at an animal and its not down, well that is my fault! Not the weapon's.

And its pretty cheap to "modify" a Handi.  And I don't think Handi owners tinker more on their weapons than other shooters.  Maybe even less.  Most of the time its an O ring on the forearm, recoil pad, and sight/scope of their choice.  That is the basic for almost ANY weapon, minus the O ring.  :)  Ever hear a mess of 10/22 owners talk about their rifles?  Seems like all they buy their 10/22s for is the receiver.  Everything else is scrapped for a lost.  You can get good money for your pallet wood stock set here!

I have hunted with some NICE weapons!  I have a Beretta O/U that costed me 6 overtime shifts!  Went to the clays range all summer long.  Come dove season, I hunted with it for one day before I went back to the Topper 58 in 12 ga!  Not because it was a better weapon, but because I got a scratch on the barrel when it sat against the tree!  I just couldn't bring myself to really USE the Berretta.  I mean, a pristine Browning BLR will bring ALLOT more than a beat up (cosmeticly only) BLR.  I bet its  not $25 in a Handi!  LOL

Lefty
Too old for a paper route and too young to retire!

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2014, 07:12:08 AM »
I'm in Dee's camp to an extent.

A 30-30 Handi Rifle and a blister-pack Bushnell scope got me my first few deer.
Added a fitted 223 and 28 ga barrel, then traded/bought used 12 ga, 30-06 and 22-250's barrel and my frustration began.
Meanwhile, bought a used Savage that shot great with anything.
I unloaded all the extra barrels and eventually sold the 30-30.
Sold the Savage also; it was just too long; hunting exclusively with Ruger #1's for the last few years.

Started missing the 30-30 so I traded back for it, and will use it some myself, but hopefully for a guest gun.
Just got a 243 superlight barrel here, and will try one box of the Federal blue box 100 gr.
If that doesn't meet my expectations, it's on to the next guy.

I would recommend a Handi to a new shooter in rimmed caliber, but if they wanted a rimless caliber, I would probably recommend a Savage Axis.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2014, 07:28:35 AM »
Quote from lefty_red:
"And I don't think Handi owners tinker more on their weapons than other shooters."

I don't see any other firearm brands threads at GBs that discuss anything close to the problems/tinkering that is on the handi threads. I have owned quite a few brands of firearms and the only ones I have had to have any work done to them to get them to function and/or shoot reasonably accurate have been very well used old Remington model 12 .22s. I have never bought a used let alone a new firearm that was as poor as the Handi I had in .243 and yes I studied and applied much that is in the FAQ section here. My Handi had the following problems:

Main problem is that it would not shoot accurate. I tried many different combos of bullet brands & weights and different factory brands/loads. Would try three shot groups with at least a minute between shots using the benchrest techniques recommended in the FAQs. Most loads grouped 4-8 inches as 100 yards. The very best groupings were in the 2.5-3.5 range. I would also try just one shot and wait hours or until the next day and try one shot. Rarely did those shot impact close to the same place. Crown looked fine, fairly nice trigger. Rifling looked fine. Forend on or off, no difference. Tried different scopes and mounts. Also had a couple other people fire it, no better results. Even if I could get three accurate shots (which it never did) before having to let it have a major cool down is a major drawback for PD shooting.

Would not eject reliably even after polishing the chamber or the bb behind the spring. Had to use the cleaning rod to get the shell casing out about one out five times.

Bluing sucked concerning offering any kind of protection, not talking about looks.

I am also a lefty but Savage makes left hand bolts and I can deal just fine with right hand bolts. Sorry guys. I do now wish I could have let one of the experts here see what they could have done with or to see what I missed doing to it. Please excuse the rant, just a very frustrating experience that cost me way to much time and money. At least it brought $300 at a charity auction for a cancer victim. Time for me to move on.
GuzziJohn

Offline lefty_red

• Avid Poster
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2014, 07:49:13 AM »
Quote from lefty_red:
"And I don't think Handi owners tinker more on their weapons than other shooters."

I don't see any other firearm brands threads at GBs that discuss anything close to the problems/tinkering that is on the handi threads. Well, guess you never been on the Ruger Handgun or Singel Action area.  :)  But the actual users around here, we just shoot and go on.  If a weapon doens't shoot, its gone.

Main problem is that it would not shoot accurate. I tried many different combos of bullet brands & weights and different factory brands/loads. Would try three shot groups with at least a minute between shots using the benchrest techniques recommended in the FAQs. Most loads grouped 4-8 inches as 100 yards. The very best groupings were in the 2.5-3.5 range. I would also try just one shot and wait hours or until the next day and try one shot. Rarely did those shot impact close to the same place. Crown looked fine, fairly nice trigger. Rifling looked fine. Forend on or off, no difference. Tried different scopes and mounts. Also had a couple other people fire it, no better results. Even if I could get three accurate shots (which it never did) before having to let it have a major cool down is a major drawback for PD shooting. I am sure you did everything you could.  Some weapons just wont shoot.  Their are those examples in all makes and models.  Two years ago, I out shot a LEO at a yearly re cert with a borrowed Hi Point while he had a Kimber.  His weapon jammed every magazine (Wilson's).  The Hi Point never failed.  Does that mean Kimber makes a bad weapon and Hi Pointis the only way to go?  Nope.

Would not eject reliably even after polishing the chamber or the bb behind the spring. Had to use the cleaning rod to get the shell casing out about one out five times. 

Bluing sucked concerning offering any kind of protection, not talking about looks.

I am also a lefty but Savage makes left hand bolts and I can deal just fine with right hand bolts. Sorry guys. I do now wish I could have let one of the experts here see what they could have done with or to see what I missed doing to it. Please excuse the rant, just a very frustrating experience that cost me way to much time and money. At least it brought $300 at a charity auction for a cancer victim. Time for me to move on.
GuzziJohn

Sounds like you just don't like NEF's.  That is ok.  I personlly don't like right handed made weapons.  If I have to remove the weapon from the shoulder to reload, might as well have a muzzle loader.  That is way there are Fords, Chevy, and Dodges.  :)
Sounds like you got the crappiest rifle NEF ever made.  It happens.  It happens everyday to every maker.  You sound like you pur WAY more effort in it than I would have.  It would have went back to H&R or been parted out with a disclaimer, if it was mine. 

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2014, 08:26:12 AM »
I should have sent it back to H-R and I am quite sure that they would have probably made a shooter out of it or replaced it. I guess due to not having much money in buying it, it became some kind of challenge to me and I was not up to the task. It was also challenging because concerning accuracy I could not find reason, everything looked good, barrel to frame fit was good. Out of several hundred rounds that I shot through it, it only popped open a few times so it seemed to lock up good, dry latch, all that good stuff. It was my only Handi I have owned and I just really didn't care for it much anyway concerning general use, guess I didn't know what to expect until I had one. Currently concerning centerfire rifles I have the left handed Savage in .243 and am very pleased with it. A 60s vintage Remington 742 auto in 30-06 which handles well and with general Winchester or Remington 150 grains  shoots 1.5" groups. For short range use a Winchester 94 in .357 so for my needs I am well covered.

One of my handguns is a Bulgarian Makarov. Now this is what I would say is the "Handi" of the handgun world and what I hoped my Handi would have been like, not to pretty but simple to use, simple to clean, is reasonably accurate, and it does go bang every time. All guns are interesting but some just work out better than others and their tastes.
GuzziJohn

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2014, 09:21:43 AM »
Tinkering does not mean there is a problem.  Just because we like to experiment on these inexpensive rifles doesn't mean there is an issue to start with. :)

I've changed stocks, reamed barrels, changed sights, added this or that just because I wanted to.

Now if you start fitting barrels ......................and do not fit them precisely and carefully, you will have accuracy problems.  If you do not understand when to file a breech face, when to file an underlug, when to add a shim to get the proper fit, you will run into problems.
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline Singlebarrel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2014, 01:04:41 PM »
I should have sent it back to H-R and I am quite sure that they would have probably made a shooter out of it or replaced it.

Don't count on it.  Mine (44 Mag) went back 4 or 5 times, do not remember really how many.  The last barrel has flaws in the rifling and a bad crown. 

Attachments and other opti

Offline lefty_red

• Avid Poster
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2014, 01:27:42 PM »
I should have sent it back to H-R and I am quite sure that they would have probably made a shooter out of it or replaced it. I guess due to not having much money in buying it, it became some kind of challenge to me and I was not up to the task. It was also challenging because concerning accuracy I could not find reason, everything looked good, barrel to frame fit was good. Out of several hundred rounds that I shot through it, it only popped open a few times so it seemed to lock up good, dry latch, all that good stuff. It was my only Handi I have owned and I just really didn't care for it much anyway concerning general use, guess I didn't know what to expect until I had one. Currently concerning centerfire rifles I have the left handed Savage in .243 and am very pleased with it. A 60s vintage Remington 742 auto in 30-06 which handles well and with general Winchester or Remington 150 grains  shoots 1.5" groups. For short range use a Winchester 94 in .357 so for my needs I am well covered.

One of my handguns is a Bulgarian Makarov. Now this is what I would say is the "Handi" of the handgun world and what I hoped my Handi would have been like, not to pretty but simple to use, simple to clean, is reasonably accurate, and it does go bang every time. All guns are interesting but some just work out better than others and their tastes.
GuzziJohn

Sounds like you are covered with long guns.  :)
Truefully, if I was a bench rest shooter or shot clays every weekend then I would have more "good" weapons.  But here in IL, we can't use center fire long guns for deer.  But I do get over to SEMO and shoot on my cousin's land once or twice a year.  I might shot my Handi ten times a year, two or three at the target to make sure its still sighted in and the rest at deer or hogs.  So its not worth it, to me, to pay over $400 for a setup.  Especially since it hasn't failed me.

Keep shooting! 
LEFTY 

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2014, 01:30:19 PM »
Maybe I've been lucky but I've never had an H&R product fail to go bang. I can't say that about the Contenders that I used to own. I also had to file the locking lugs on every single "universal fit" Contender barrel that I ever bought in order for it to work.

I love the simplicity of H&R's, they carry just as nice as a lever action and there's something special about taking game with a poor man's gun.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2014, 08:08:46 AM »
Go on any specialty forum and you will find talk about 'issues'. If you want to buy anything just do the forum for what you think you are interested in and by the time you read 2 days worth of posts you will have likely decided against it.
The thing is, that there are lemons in any product line (and that is hard to swallow when it is high buck) but many of the things talked about here are 'owner serviceable'; and we just kinda like talkin' about 'em.
FWIW, Ive had 8, and one old one had the mainspring go soft and one newer one had a bad T-Bar when they had the rash of 'bad ones'. None have gone back to the factory and of the eight I still have 5 and about the same in those as one Ruger No.1, which may or not have been 'acceptable' either, if you read their forum.
And I havent had to seriously re-work or tweak any of these to get groups that work for me (I do expect much more than just hitting the barn from the inside, too).
You pays yer money and you takes yer choice. This forum is not one of the most visited and biggest memberships because the guns are trouble, quite the opposite.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline cudatruck

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2014, 09:37:27 AM »
Dee and others, I started a thread about the number of different custom chambers the guys on here have done. I think this is one of the attractions. For just a small investment I get to try a cartridge I could not afford in any other platform. Some are not even made anymore so I would have to try to buy an antique? If a guy wants to shoot a .45-120 he can with a handi. If he wants a .32-20 he can build one. If he wants a 6.5 Grendel that can be done also. these make great test mules. The "work" to get one shooting properly is part of the attraction for some of us. For me the .45-70 has taught me I don't need anything with magnum in it's name. Sure glad I did not spend 1K on a rifle to learn that lesson!

Offline gearhart555

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2014, 03:11:58 PM »
Well, I guess I might just as well add my 2 cents. In reading these posts, I'm absolutely shocked at the number of people who buy a bad shooting Handi and just live with it or sell it off to someone else--or waste so much time trying to make it shoot. I purchased a 44mag Handi about a year ago. I took it to the range with 2 types of factory ammo and 2 types of hand loads that have shot very well in a variety of guns. Well, the best I could do from a rest at 25 yards was a 3" group! With the same loads my 44 mag revolver shoots .75" groups at 50 yards. I took it home and slugged the barrel. Instead of .429-.430", it measured .434". I immediately contacted H & R and they set up an RMA. Total turnaround on the rifle was 12 days. I don't know if it was Brian56 who worked on it or not but the note that came back with the rifle said it also had "excessive head spacing". I took another trip to the range with the same ammo and brought my son this time. He was the first to shoot it--again at 25 yards. The first group formed a perfect little clover leaf that was so small I couldn't even measure center-to-center. The rest of the ammo showed very similar improvement as well. A couple months later, I sent it back to the factory to be fitted with both a 243 and 22 Hornet barrel. My earnest recommendation to you, Dee, is to send the 223 back to H & R. I'm confident you won't be disappointed.

Brian

Offline redleg11b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2014, 03:31:25 PM »
My attraction is their simplicity, cost, and the friendly support of people here.  If it weren't for the great members here, I would probably have stopped at one until I could afford a bolt rifle.  But alas, I too like to tinker, share experiences and thoughts, and see what others are doing.  I'm not done, but all my hunting needs for now are covered for less than $600
H&R: .223, 20ga, .357, Sportster LR
Cricket LR

Offline 8uck5nort

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
  • Trying to improve myself one shot at a time.
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2014, 03:35:54 AM »
I like the inexpensive "try it out and make it shoot" aspect. I also like to do this with milsurps and now Savage bolt actions. The challenge.
I have bought a brand new Ruger 77/44, and an AR15 with the BUIS, scopes, and other cool accessories and ultimately scratched those itches. That being said I still have my handis while the Ruger and AR were sent packing. All were fine platforms for their intended uses. I may even venture back to them someday if the itch or need arises. I try to keep an open mind on such things. After all wheellocks, flintlocks, and other antique weapons were once marvels of thier day, yet I have no desire to have one. Except of course that finely crafted kentucky long rifle... I digress.
I admire craftsmanship be it my own if I manage to pull it off decently or a real  professional master at the art of gunsmithing. No, I am by no means a master craftsman or even a gunsmith not by a loooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnggggggg shot, but I love to tinker. Frankly, it is just easier to take a blow to ones pride when you goof on a cheaper platform than it is to screw up a pricey one. I feel like I learn more on a handi or milsurp or cheap swap (Savage style) bolt rifle and therefore lets me get the most of my meager marksmanship or hunting abitlities. In short I feel it makes me a better shooter in the end.
Cartridges for My Entertainment: .22 S,L,LR, .223 Rem, 7x57, 30-06, 8x57, 357 mag/max, 35 Remington/Indiana, 35 Whelen, 44 mag, 445 SM mag. Adding the 6.5x55 swede!

Offline Noah Zark

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2014, 03:48:17 AM »
Handis are like PCs running Linux -- Both are low-cost and perfect for tinkerers and optimizers.  Shooters desiring "out of the box" performance can go with Remchesters, just as PC owners looking to USE a PC can go with Windoze.

Noah

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2014, 04:25:53 AM »
Quite a few years ago there was a Handi .45-70 with a Tasco Golden Antler 3-9x50 in the used rack at the LGS.  I wanted a Ruger .357 Blackhawk and I had some stuff to trade.  I picked up the Handi and it fit...everything felt perfect.  We made the trades and I walked out with the Ruger and the Handi.  Shortly later, I wandered in here. 

Now, I have somewhere around 16 Handis....I haven't counted recently....they seem to breed like bunnies.  The bottom line is, besides putting an O ring on and cleaning the latch shelf, I never had to to anything except perhaps to find the right load to get them to shoot.  I shimmed the pivot on one and just removed the shim and put it on another frame.  I had a .22-250 that would not shoot anything I fed it.  I sent it up to Brian56 and it came back a re-barreled tack driver.  It is a MOA 500 yard rifle.  There's not one of my Handis that won't shoot inch and a half groups at 100 yards.  Most shoot MOA or less.  It all depends on the Old Fart at the trigger.

I have bolt guns, levers, pumps, semis, and they languish in the dark recesses.  I have a .308 Ruger M77 MKII I'll bet I haven't shot in five years.  It was my go to rifle for ten or 15 years.  Everything from woodchucks to bear.

To sum it up, I like my Handis.  They serve me well and have made me a better shooter and hunter.

Pete

Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2014, 06:08:38 AM »
For me it boiled down to a couple things. Cost and variety. I get to  play with a bunch of slightly off center calibers with out having to pay for some over-priced gun.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline twoshooter

• Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2014, 06:10:21 AM »
I don't want this to be seen as a NON_HANDI bashing thread BUT- if you buy one of those 2-3K$ military grade scopes with built in rangefinders and sniper grade rifles that guarantee 1/2 MOA performance so you can have out of the box performance, and you use technology to expand your hunt time, and utilize outfitters to maximize your wilderness experience. :-\ ........ that is like using sperm and egg donors chosen for their genetic characteristics, a surrogate mother, nannys to raise the child- and then bragging about "your kid".  ::)
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.