Author Topic: Love my Handi's but.......................................  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Plenty Coups

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Plenty Coups Archery
Love my Handi's but.......................................
« on: February 08, 2014, 09:57:31 AM »
I really love my BC and my Sportster 17HMR BUT.............................with all the problems reported, improper lock ups, barrel problems, overall reduction in QC, over priced for such a simple firearm anymore I am giving up on them . Until the company gets their crap together I am done with H&R and for that matter Remington in general. I think Big Green has accelerated the decline of H&R instead of improve and expanding the company. It was a wonderful rifle for young'uns to learn with and still is for folks who like to screw with repairs and mods but most DON'T. We buy a firearm to SHOOT. I'll still hang around here as it is has the info needed when "stuff" goes wrong. For the home "smiths" and tinkerers go get em and have fun! :)
"Diplomacy is the art of saying nice doggy while finding a rock"- Will Rogers

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
Re: Love my Handi's but.......................................
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 02:39:47 PM »
You have every right to your opinion and i value it, but my experiences with H&R have been good ones and, recently, even better. I don't know how many the family(includes nephews) has purchased over the last five years or so, but I am going to say close to 50. I have about 15 myself right now. We had only one with a problem (transfer bar) and it came that way (used rifle). H&R fixed it for free. I have had only one failure to eject and that was with a .223 rem that I was trying to catch the case as I opened the action (an ejector). I may have caused the problem with that one. Never happened again. The nephews picked up about six new Handi rifles a few months ago when Dick's had them on sale and the QC was as good as ever.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 02:53:36 PM »
I really love my BC and my Sportster 17HMR BUT.............................with all the problems reported, improper lock ups, barrel problems, overall reduction in QC, over priced for such a simple firearm anymore I am giving up on them . Until the company gets their crap together I am done with H&R and for that matter Remington in general. I think Big Green has accelerated the decline of H&R instead of improve and expanding the company. It was a wonderful rifle for young'uns to learn with and still is for folks who like to screw with repairs and mods but most DON'T. We buy a firearm to SHOOT. I'll still hang around here as it is has the info needed when "stuff" goes wrong. For the home "smiths" and tinkerers go get em and have fun! :)

I have to say I do understand your detest of the degradation of the line since Gardner... I also completely understand your removing yourself from the issue by not buying new... BUT WHY completely drop the Handi? Simply do as many of us do and buy OLDER guns!!!

I do EXACTLY the same with Marlins!! I would not likely take a brand new Marlin today if one was GIVEN to me!!  :o :o

But then again as cjrjck says, its your opinion and your entitled to it!  ;) ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 04:26:56 PM »
big green has gone down hill with most of their guns over the past few years and i think handis got hit just as hard
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 04:41:32 PM »
I will admit right up front, and I want this understood, that I WILL take any rifle given to me  ;D , send 'em on over.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Stuart C.

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 05:06:20 PM »
That's unfortunate but understandable. Close looks at new Remingtons and Marlins really tells the story.

But...I've been very happy with my Ilion BC. Maybe I just got lucky or I'm not seeing the specific areas where it falls short of the old Gardner product.

When some of these low-priced bolt guns are handily (no pun intended, really) outshooting H&Rs and even the higher priced bolts of the same brand...it's all over but the shoutin' as they say.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 05:07:22 PM »
I really don't know where all the problems are..................I had one.  My 45/70 ultra with misfires.  Got the proper parts from the factory, no other problems.  I have had some accuracy issues caused by me not understanding how to reload for a break barrel (It's not the same as for a bolt gun).

Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline theratdog

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 08:34:18 PM »
i have had problems with other brands of rifles but won't give up my simple handy's. nothing's perfect. 8)

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 11:03:09 PM »
As many of you know I mess around with a bunch of Handi's . Last time I counted I have 54, Biggest problem i have with them is I do not have the time to play with them as much as I want!The only one i had any trouble with was a SB2 receiver that the transfer bar came apart.
Easy fix and no more problems.Some of them are extremely accurate, some are very accurate and the others are accurate enough for their intended use.
Just for the record I have worked on more Winchesters with problems and especially accuracy issues than any other single brand.Even had a high end Sako that would not hit the broad side of a barn!
Enjoy your Handi's for what they are an inexpensive fun toy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
George
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline flinthead

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 03:58:45 AM »
Amen George! I personally don't buy into the declining QC crap at Remington... All of my guns are just fine... 700 XCR II, 870 Turkey Waterfowl, and six Handi's. All of which are "newer" made guns. You get a lemon from time to time from any gun maker.
" A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog"

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 06:18:31 AM »
I don't bother with new Handi's anymore. They're not worth the money. I put 'em together from pieces and parts and make what I want.

Spanky

Offline Plenty Coups

• Plenty Coups Archery
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 01:27:12 PM »
10 replies and 2 issues requiring repairs, parts. That is 20%. The prices keep going up and 20% "issue rate"is not acceptable. If I find an older used one in like new condition I'll seriously consider it BUT no company will get any coins with that many problems. We can pump out reason after reason or give the excuse "they are cheap" so don't expect too much. A firearm needs to be functional most of all. H&R is turning itself into the same class as the Heritage Rough Rider rimfire revolvers. For those that enjoy messing with them. POWER TO YAH! Home gunsmithing is a good hobby and will keep most of you out of trouble ;)
"Diplomacy is the art of saying nice doggy while finding a rock"- Will Rogers

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 02:00:41 PM »
My two most used Handi's- a 357 and a Hornet, both started life on a rifle receiver, the Hornet was OK ( 1 1/8" @ 75 yards) and the 357 was questionable 2" at aout 50 yards. The more I shot the 357, the better it got. Then I went to a local auction and picked up a 20 ga shotgun in excellent shape, case colored frame, made in '95, for $80. The 357 barrel fit perfectly and the groups went down to 1 1/4 at my 75 yard range. I bought another shotgun, case colored reciever , in 410- price $85. Swapped the 410 barrel for a 28ga, and the Hornet fit also with no work. Groups went to under 3/4 at 75 yards. I now have two combos that shoot just fine for under $200 each. More important - I USE them. I have a Whelan in Rem 700 made back in the day, excellent shooter, quality rifle. Last time I shot it was at targets about 4 years ago. Before that it was in the late '90s. I bought it when I still thought I might get to hunt Elk some day, now it is scheduled to go to a grandson, along with a 25/06 Savage antelope rifle which I also will never use. I don't mind using a cast bullet, a primer, and 3 to 10 gr of powder to blow up a can or put a hole in paper- occasionally, but I just cannot force myself to burn up cartridges at 50 cents or more apiece. Too many years of living close to my chest. The Handi's fit right into that personality- functional, effective, inexpensive. It is kind of like looking at fishing shows and seeing someone tell me about "quality" saving money when they are on a $150K boat and using a $700 Stella reel, and then someone else in a 40K Ranger with a $200 baitcaster, then I look at my 14 foot Jon boat and my Walmart ugly stik rig. I caught my limit, they tasted great. What more can I say? 
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 02:21:52 PM »
I have to say I do understand your detest of the degradation of the line since Gardner... I also completely understand your removing yourself from the issue by not buying new... BUT WHY completely drop the Handi? Simply do as many of us do and buy OLDER guns!!!

X2 That's exactly what I do. I stick with Gardner or Worcester made guns. I swore off the Big Green when they chose to side with the government rather than gun owners, just my own personal choice.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 02:52:54 PM »
Excuse me Plenty Coups but ................is it new math that 1 in 54 =20% ?
respectively
George
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 03:30:08 PM »
When some of these low-priced bolt guns are handily (no pun intended, really) outshooting H&Rs and even the higher priced bolts of the same brand...it's all over but the shoutin' as they say.

Well..............I really like the way my 45 Classic Carbine shoots, I do have a bolt gun (Savage accu-trigger) that has to wake up to compete with it and it can.  But my little carbine is so cute............and Handi.
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 05:00:47 PM »
Excuse me Plenty Coups but ................is it new math that 1 in 54 =20% ?
respectively
George

My last 3 NEW Handi's were all junks that never should have made it past any QC inspectors.  That's 3 for 3 or 100% junks as far as I can tell. That's why I absolutely refuse to buy a new Handi anymore... 3 strikes you're out. I'll build my own from parts.
I did alot of "fixing" on brand new Handi's before I smartened up. ;)

Spanky

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 04:14:06 PM »
I feel for ya spanky.  My last three were however, perfect.  Great fit, tight lock-up, accurate out of the box.  Good finish, good stocks.   Guess I've been pretty lucky as the only one I've ever had to get replaced was the .45 colt.  That's because it's chamber looked like a football and wouldn't hardly release the shells once fired.  After 3 attempts though, I got a perfect chamber.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.