Author Topic: powder rumour or ??  (Read 1142 times)

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
powder rumour or ??
« on: February 11, 2014, 04:39:57 AM »
Just got thru talking with a customer of mine, and he said something interesting. A gun shop owner told him, at the shot show in Vegas a month ago, Hogdon rep at the show, said they were going to only make a couple of shotgun powders in the 8# kegs. Everything else is strictly going to be 1# cans. Wonder if it's a profit decision, or ?? Doesn't make any sense if its a govt. deal, as it will not stop anybody from just buying several 1#, just cost more money. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
Re: powder rumour or ??
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 06:58:08 AM »
Interesting, I know that I have looked for Alliant powders which I sometimes buy in their 4LB "Canister" size and have not seen any in quite some time. I do not shoot enough to justify the expense of or storage for large powder stocks, but my most used powder -say 2400- I would buy 4LB  at a time if I could find it. Hopefully someone here will know.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 02:43:59 PM »
Glad I got the big jugs of Unique when I did then.  8)  We've still got quite a few big jugs here at the local place, but only of non-common powders. 
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline theratdog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 07:33:38 PM »
don't really care just as long as i can get the stuff. ;D

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 04:26:49 AM »
Hodgdon has always quickly and thoroughly answered any question I had whether I called them or e-mailed them. I would contact them if this is a concern. There has been so many of these 4th person, I heard this from Jo, who heard it from Tom rumors lately concerning components and ammo, that it's getting hard to believe anything.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 05:16:29 AM »
Hodgdon has always quickly and thoroughly answered any question I had whether I called them or e-mailed them. I would contact them if this is a concern. There has been so many of these 4th person, I heard this from Jo, who heard it from Tom rumors lately concerning components and ammo, that it's getting hard to believe anything.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS^  I heard it through the grapevine is just a waste of energy with all the real issues we need to deal with in the shooting community nowadays.[size=78%] [/size]

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 09:48:37 AM »
Just got thru talking with a customer of mine, and he said something interesting. A gun shop owner told him, at the shot show in Vegas a month ago, Hogdon rep at the show, said they were going to only make a couple of shotgun powders in the 8# kegs. Everything else is strictly going to be 1# cans. Wonder if it's a profit decision, or ?? Doesn't make any sense if its a govt. deal, as it will not stop anybody from just buying several 1#, just cost more money. gypsyman

Interesting...

A friend of a friend or a friend of mine said the world was coming to an end on the 28th of this month...

These types of Internet posts cause panic and then stupid buying of existing products and then shortages...

I honestly think the manufactures are involved in this current power/primer/bullet/etc. shortages...

Just my opinion...
(But, I did want to be the FIRST to post the world was coming to an end on the 28th--now I feel important)

But then again, It could be Chicken Little is involved in these types of information...

Good-luck...BCB

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 10:14:18 AM »
Producing only 1 lb. canisters makes sense from a supply chain point of view. Making 2 versions (canisters and kegs) of the same product complicates and can slowdown the supply chain. The canisters could give more people at least a chance of getting some powder sooner.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 10:45:47 AM »
Manufactures need to make a profit.   They do this by selling the product. 

I too think there's something driving the whole ammo situation but without exception the manufactures say they're running at capacity. 

I think government agencies are buying a large quantity and warehousing or destroying it.   

This is a situation I've not seen in my lifetime.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 12:02:50 PM »
That's a new one! 1 lb. cans only. I don't think Hodgon is a powder manufacturer, just a distributer of IMR and Winchester powders, with some Winchester powders rebranded as Hodgon. But, I would consider the source of current info.; OP talked to a customer, who talked to a guy in Las Vegas who said...

Did the guy at the show, Hodgon rep (?), have direct contact with Hodgon's marketing department?

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 01:40:01 PM »
I'm thnking it's a rumor because Powder Valley has been out of most powders for many months and now there are some IMR powders in 8 lb. containers.  Since Hodgdon markets IMR powders and since it's probably newly packaged, I doubt they'll quit offering it in 8 lb. containers.  If they do, would it really matter?  The price difference between buying 8 one lb. containers isn't that different than buying one 8 lb. container.

As for the government buying up all the powder or destroying it, why would they do that?  They would have no use for most of the powders and if they didn't want us to have powder, they would just shut the manufacturers down.