Author Topic: Vertical Stringing  (Read 627 times)

Offline jleem66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
Vertical Stringing
« on: February 11, 2014, 04:15:36 PM »
  I've had a lot of problems with vertical stringing in my 243 Handi Youth. What causes vertical stringing?  This gun has been a chore to load for. Any help will be appreciated.
  Jimmy

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Vertical Stringing
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 04:29:26 PM »
Usually vertical stringing is caused by barrel heat up.  Did you let the barrel cool between shots?  I don't know what kind of trouble you are having with a 243Win as the ones I have loaded for fell into accurate loads like falling off a log, but truthfully I only had one Handi rifle and in 22/250Rem and it wasn't worth a pinch of hoot owl dung. 

Offline black lab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 04:40:47 PM »
I had a similar problem with my 45-70 Handi rifle. If I could find the cure all the shots would make one large hole at 100 yds. I was shooting different loads on the same target. I just didn't think that would of make such a difference. Now I know where I went wrong and just need more range time. Maybe you have something similar.

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 05:01:56 PM »

Hopefully Tim will see your post and move it to the handi section.  My experience is the problem is how the forearm fits and how you hold the rifle on the rest. 

Offline theratdog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 07:31:08 PM »
had the same problem chopped barrel to 16 1/2 '' tryed several bullets 90 grn shoot the best so far 1an 1/2 to 1'' groups now a lot of time and reloading to get there.pawn shop find 140 bucks out the door. project gun some thing to do fun gun. keep barrel cool shoot 3 then set.good luck. ;)