Author Topic: Zhumell 20-60x80 spotting scope review  (Read 1170 times)

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
Zhumell 20-60x80 spotting scope review
« on: February 15, 2014, 01:50:16 PM »
Blown away by the optics of this fine scope.  It is not a backpacking scope, but for birding or target shooting with a good tripod, it will hold it's own against much pricer offerings.

Searched for months looking to replace my fixed 20x spotter.  The choices within my range were down to:
Bushnell Legend HD 15x36 with ed glass
Celestron Optima ultra 20-60x80
Bushnell spacemaster

I had tried a Firefall 20-60x80 from amazon (good reviews, for a $80 scope), but was unimpressed with the optics.  Guess I had champagne tastes but not the budget...........Until I ran across this scope looking at birding sites. Read the reviews and for the sale price couldn't hardly go wrong.
80mm
Waterproof
FULLY MULTICOATED OPTICS

This thing is amazing!  I have some 6pt type on some of my targets, at 100 yds I can make out the lines and some form of the letters, not quite enough to say I can read it at 100 but wow.........The clarity and contrast are excellent.  If I had a little better tripod, no telling how good this scope is!!!

The complaints about the scope end cap are to me a non-issue.  I like the way it screws into the barrel, great soft cover, and the adjustable body angle are all excellent.
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
Re: Zhumell 20-60x80 spotting scope review
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 11:07:21 PM »
Never heard of them, can you post a picture or link? Never mind, googled it. Thanks
Glad you got something you like, hate to try something and be disappointed ;)

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 11:22:34 PM »
http://www.hayneedle.com/product/2060x80mmangledspottingscope.cfm

Hayneedle has them.

Great sale..........they have a larger one, but I didn't order it because their website said "multi-coated optics" not "fully multi-coated".  However, I went to the Zhumell website and it is fully multi coated.

It's larger and heavier and the reviews on the 80mm were better.

If I did it over I might invest in their heavy duty tripod kit on sale with it, though.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 03:27:06 AM »
So, is the 80 the larger one and the one you have? Did the soft cover come with it or an extra? I have a cheap light weight tripod and bet it wouldn't be a good match.

Do you still like the scope? It just popped up while tracking a package.

I'm trying to figure whether I need a spotting scope, am planning on buying a good pair of binoculars. I know they won't take the place of a spotting scope. Waiting for a couple rifle scopes to be delivered, thought today :(  Thanks

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 10:28:39 AM »
Mine is the 80mm, but the newer one is a 90mm.  The 80 had more and better reviews.  The soft cover comes with it.  Really nice.  I guess the only con is the viewing end cover snaps on good, but does not have a little attachment cord like the front cover, so you wouldn't lose it.

I'm liking it more and more.  I use a $9.99 tabletop tripod, it is cheap but does have some metal in it.  Now, it is at it's limit with a 6 lb scope!!!

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 10:30:39 AM »
bigvarmit,

Might order the digiscoping attachment and get some pics with it!  Check out their binos, some of them looked good.

http://www.hayneedle.com/sale/10x42shortbarrelwaterproofbinoculars.cfm

2013 bino of the year winner

This won it in 2012................Swarovski 10x42mm EL SwaroVision Binoculars

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 01:45:57 PM »
rev, that's a good price on a scope if it's pretty good quality. I have to look around in hayneedle some more.

Swarovski binos are very nice. I know a guy that has an older pair 10+ yrs and they were sharp along side my B.&L.s ::)  I was hoping to get that quality for half as much. I was looking at some Nikon Monarch 7s online but review was bad on their eyepieces I believe. Looked at Steiner and I'm trying to figure how good to go. Want something good but don't want to worry about using or losing them. Optics are tough to decide on. Thanks 

Offline Huffmanite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 09:20:17 AM »
Zhumell has been around for a long time.  Ever viewed thru a telescope at some scenic spot that you put a coin in....it may have been a Zhumell.  Have a Zhumell 3-9 A.O. rifle scope that I bought maybe 7 years ago.  As I recall, Zhumell had a short line of rifle scopes that they discontinued making, so I bought it for a very very low price.  It was and still is a decent rifle scope.  Have no idea about the Zhumell spotting scope. 

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 03:41:00 AM »
Rev I hope you're right and this thing is of at least reasonable quality.  I'm just wanting something to spot my granddaughters target shooting without spending the big bucks.  Been using 10x binocs but she has stepped up the game a bit by extending here range out to the 300 yard mark.  Not bad for an 8 year old!  I'd rather put more money into her shooting supplies.

If the quality turns out to be not so great it's not that big a deal.  Shoot I paid more for the tripod I'll mount it on. 

Thanks for the heads up.  We'll see how it looks about Tuesday. 

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 05:29:57 AM »
Here's an update......................

At 60x With this printout I could read the 10pt type at 100yds and could make out individual type of the 6pt, but could not read it.  If I had a better tripod to steady it while I adjusted focus, I may could have?????

This was today in Louisiana..........complete cloud cover, overcast dreary day.  Can't wait to try it more on a good sunny day.

This is just a camera photo of what I was looking at, it's not taken through the scope.  Don't mind the holes... ;D

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 09:56:05 AM »
I wonder if it's a power or clarity thing whether you can make out letters or holes better if you use a high dollar scope. Like at 200 or 300+ yds. I've never had the chance to look through a REAL high dollar scope.
I was at a range outside Tucson about 10 yrs ago and met a nice older fellow that let me spot for him with his scope and I thought it was a pretty good one. He was shooting fairly short range small silhouettes with a fancy 22 rf. (think it might have been 22 mag)  :-\  and needed to know exactly where he was hitting to adjust for the next shot.
I'd think you'd need more power the farther away the target and usually the cheap ones loose clarity at the higher powers. I bet the military long range spotting scopes work as needed and are more expensive than I can go. I'd be set if I'd hit that Powerball the other day ;)  Oh and thanks for the update. Keep us posted please.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 02:55:40 AM »
Mine came today.  Ordered it after reading Rev's review.  Got to say I'm not disappointed.  Here today we have a mix of weather from bright sunlight to dark clouds and all with strong winds.  This thing is made solid but the weight is not undesirable with this wind.  I have a 20# weight on the center hook of my tripod so there is very little to no movement in up to 28 mph wind.  Optics are clear and bright and equal to or better than the $500 rig I'm comparing it to.  I do notice a fair amount of mirage when the sun is bright for a while but I get that on the other rig also.  Just been playing with it outside for a while but weather permitting we'll use it on the range in a day or two where I'm used to things, to get maybe a better comparison but I gotta tell ya, from my initial inspection I couldn't be happier.  This is the first thing I've bought in some time that gives me the feeling I got my moneys worth and then some.  I'm going to get the camera adapter ordered and see how that works out.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 07:47:12 AM »
Glad you like it!  I'm by no means an optics pro, but I do look for value in the stuff I buy.  I usually spend some time researching and reading.  I am really pleased with mine.  Looked at pine tree the other day, at least 250 yds, could count individual needles on an overcast day.

My range is only 100, so the 20x is about all you need.  I got to get that camera adapter ordered too!