Author Topic: Dust off your Handi's Spring is here!  (Read 961 times)

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
Dust off your Handi's Spring is here!
« on: February 15, 2014, 09:46:05 PM »
At long last we are approaching Spring out here in the West of Texas ;D Several Handi projects were postponed. Now I can get to work on my latest project......................... 45-120 with a laminated thumbhole stock should be fun working up a load for it.Looking for a mild load of 2700 fps  or so (getting wimpy in my senior years)  with a light bullet of 350 grains. I think it will work well on the smaller , younger armadillos but the big boys will require a larger more powerful load!
[/size] By the way the weather liars are forcasting temps in the low to mid 80's for the rest of the week!

[/size]A visitor asked a West Texas cowboy, "Do you ever get tornadoes out here?" The cowboy
replied, "Yeah, we had one a while back, but it ran into a sandstorm outside of town and
got ripped to pieces."

A visitor asked a West Texas cowboy, "Doesn't it ever rain out here?"

The cowboy replied, "Sure. There was a half-inch of rain a couple of weeks ago just a
few miles north of here, but I was too busy and couldn't go."

The wind blows so hard out in West Texas that at a drive-in theater it once blew Gene
Autry right out of the saddle."

A little brown hen once got caught in a West Texas sandstorm. She was flying through the
air backward so fast that she laid the same egg three times.

It was so windy that prairie dogs were digging holes 40 feet in the air.

It was so dry that the Baptists were sprinkling, the Methodists were spitting, and the
Catholics were giving rain checks.

It was so hot that I saw a roadrunner pull a worm out of the ground using pot holders.

It was so cold that a farmer threw a dipperful of water and it froze in midair and knocked
a pup unconscious.

A visitor to Amarillo asked a local rancher, "How do you stand the wind blowing every single
day?"

The rancher said, "You just have to get used to it - learn to lean into it. In fact, one day
last fall the wind stopped blowing all of a sudden, and all the chickens in the panhandle
plumb fell over."

During a period of heavy sandstorms, a rancher visited his banker and applied for a loan.
The banker warned him, "I'll have to come out and inspect the property first."

The rancher replied, "That won't be necessary. Here it comes now."

Yankee: "Does the wind blow this way all the time?"

Texan: "No, sometimes it blows the other way.
:nod:

[/size]Happy Trails  & Straight Shooting[/size]George
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Re: Dust off your Handi's Spring is here!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 09:59:10 PM »
George. get your butt up here and I'll show ya what Spring looks like.  My barn beagles just walked over their fence last evening.....that's a six foot fence.  We brought them up to the house last night not knowing what else to do with them.  Anyhow, they ain't house dogs.  While Patty and I blissfully slept, they destroyed about half the house. 

I went down this morning and ran hot wire around the top of their run.....They may just stay in.

It's a wonderful sunny morning...toasty at about five above without wind.  Put on your fur lined jock and come on up and enjoy Spring.  You'll like it.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline CrashmanS

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 09:59:47 PM »
My dad used to tell us that the wind was blowing so hard that our cat ended up inside a pop bottle. He had to bust it with a hammer before it suffocated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 12:10:59 AM »
No need to be jealous Pete! got to go get my Plaid shorts and tee shirts out of the drier so I can work on some guns.Wish i had an air conditioner in the shop as its gonna be warm in there, oh well I will just open the doors and enjoy a pleasant Spring Day!
George
  it's where you hit em "

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 12:15:28 AM »
Here in Ga. we're having Pete's weather, and yours as well.....in the same day.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 01:01:48 AM »
It ain't balmy up here................ not by a long shot. :(
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 01:34:19 AM »

George,

Hope ya see 100 in March!!!!!

Dan

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 01:58:39 AM »
BFF, I hear ya.  I think we oughta have George up here, either on the balmy Atlantic coast or the tropical Great Lakes.  I could drag the lawn chairs out on the back deck, fire up the grill and put a venison backstrap on.  Then, the only problem he would have is getting it in his mouth before it froze solid. 

Yeah, I better post it again unless folks forget.  Summer here is scheduled for July 31st, from 10 til 2.  Put it on your calendar and don't miss it.  August first we'll be snowshoeing.

Pete
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 01:59:43 AM »
At least it is above zero now, but the fire is still going good. It is rumored that next week it will stay above freezing at night for 2-3 days, but I'll have to see that. Spring is not the shooting season as much for me, so I have been re-spooling line on my fishing reels. Walmart is starting to get some stuff in, Trout season opens March 1st and this year I think I will go unless it is snowing. I have a daughter that lives in Savannah now and I am hoping to go see her in April, have not seen her for 18 months or so now  :( . I got a new Bass Pro and Cabela's Saltwater catalog and am looking at surf fishing stuff.
     I also need to get my barn cleaned up a bit as soon as the weather breaks so I have a clean casting area. Flammable material and lead spatters are not a good mix.

As for Jeepman..... I have never been to Texas but I have seen some of the panhandle.... ;)
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 02:07:04 AM »
This is the worst time of the year here in Kentucky.  You never know what the weather will be, Period.   It might be nice this morning and a blizzard for dinner.
We will have to deal with sloppy mud until the end of April. Things will start changing then however and some of the prettist country you've ever seen will start turning green and flowers will be blooming everywhere.

That's when it is time to be out the most,I'll be creak fishing a bunch then so the handies won't come out right away. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 03:53:38 AM »
I miss surf fishing.  I lived for years on a barrier island and that's what I did.  I'm going to try it this Spring (if Spring ever happens) on Lake Michigan.  Steelhead ought to be in or just off the river mouths.  Pike too.  We'll see.

Pete

Offline rebel0994

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 07:46:01 AM »
Amen! Ben, I don 't want to see snow again for 5 years ;D ;D ;D , Roy
12 GA shotgun SB1 palletwood, 20 GA shotgun SB1 palletwood, .243 SB2 CAMO SYN, .223 SB2 SYN, .45/70 SB2 SYN  - Still looking for a way to convince my wife that I need the following-.308,.25-06,.280,.357 reamed to Maxi,.270,.38-55,.35 Whelen,.22 Hornet,.44 Mag, .30-06 and several more that I haven't decided on yet

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 09:11:45 AM »
Maybe you can call upon "El Jorge" to send some nice weather up to Pete and others in the frigid North. We had 70* here today! Supposed to be in the 80s next week. I won't complain until we hit 100*.  ;D

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 10:14:03 AM »
Here on Hobbs New Mexico it is 70 degrees as of the time of this post. Saw 88 today on the dash temp on the Dodge.Just heard it is supposed to get down to 40 tonight  brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr/ I know all my buddies up north and east feel sorry for me  ;D
George
  it's where you hit em "

Offline gunther66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 10:16:56 AM »
Jeepman...

Remember Horace Greely's words after visiting TEXAS. "If I owned Texas and I owned Hell, Id' rent out Texas and live in Hell"
A former Texan who loved it. G66
"There is nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse"  Ronald Regan

NRA Life Member since '72

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 10:22:22 AM »
Just out in the forge a bit.  Thermometer says 34.  Felt good.  A few weeks ago I would have been hunting my long johns.  Amazing what a fella' gets acclimated to.  Got up in the 60's today.  Really warm.

That's ok, it a couple months it will be a 100.

Ya'll noticed the coyotes got really thick fur this year?

Ben

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 11:14:59 AM »
Pete:
If things work out Ill be a lot closer to you than I'm now..........still on my side of the Border.   ;)

We're flying out on Tuesday to have a look at the new "Burg" on Lake Huron to see if we like it. I figure if I like it or at least not downright hate it in February I should be OK for the rest of the year. Big question is :" Will there be Black Flies."
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 08:10:34 PM »
I'm in Louisiana and it's supposed to be like the tropics but it's already snowed 3 times.  That stuff may be pretty when it first starts coming down but then it's just dirty white stuff.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 09:35:08 PM »
Pete:
If things work out Ill be a lot closer to you than I'm now..........still on my side of the Border.   ;)

We're flying out on Tuesday to have a look at the new "Burg" on Lake Huron to see if we like it. I figure if I like it or at least not downright hate it in February I should be OK for the rest of the year. Big question is :" Will there be Black Flies."

It sounds like you'll be right across the pond from us.  Ya gotta come visit.  Black flies are the Harbingers of Spring.  It ain't really Spring until ya gotta put a head net on.  Seriously, They start in here in later May and are joined in June by their buddies the deer flies and horse flies.  We're fairly high and dry here and not bothered much by skeeters. They all wind down in August.  The best thing, not for the garden but to get rid of the black flies, is a warm early May followed by a hard frost.  That wipes them out.  However, we had one year when they were eating me up bow hunting in October.  I don't know if you've ever noticed, but insect repellent and deer hunting don't seem to mix well.

Oh yeah, what's the name of the "Burg" so I can see where you'll be.

Have a safe trip.  I hope you'll soon be a neighbor.

Pete

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 06:57:51 AM »
I just came in from blowing snow from my driveway...  blew in on the weekend with 18" drifts...

figured I'd check out GBO

what is this about spring???    :o

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 08:03:21 PM »
88 here today ,Gentle breeze ,no clouds in the sky. beautiful day!
George
  it's where you hit em "

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 08:47:37 PM »
Noticed flocks of geese headed north. Hope they like snow

Offline tmccray45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 10:10:16 PM »
Here in the Annapolis area, we are forecast for a high of 56 today.

56!!!   

That's degrees ABOVE zero!!   

If it wouldn't shock the neighbors too much, I'd be taking my shirt off and running around!!   (I'll leave you with that disgusting thought for the rest of the day. . .)

Might melt some of the snow that's been dumped on us.
"Work: The New Retirement"