Author Topic: 7mm08  (Read 3353 times)

Offline twentynine

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 7mm08
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2014, 09:50:01 PM »
For the same reason I don't shoot those odd calibers either.

I'm just not understanding your train of thought.

Presently without any discount/sale 7mm-08 can be had for $16-$17.

Offline jdl41389

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2014, 10:16:39 PM »
odd thing is that I have seen many odd cal locally 30/40krag,6.5 grendel,300 blackout,6.5 swede,and 35whelen all  for under 30$ just no 7mm08

JDL

Offline jdl41389

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 10:21:20 PM »
Twenty nine what part of country are you from I sure can't find any ammo at that price except foreign stuff
JDL

Offline twentynine

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 11:07:53 PM »
I'm in Louisiana 20 mile SE of Baton Rouge.

The PPU is all I can find  sub-$20, but I can find hornaday, and I think Remington under $25. Then the price jumps to $30+ for Federals and some of the supposed high performance ammunition.

I'm shooting the PPU it performs on target well, haven't put one through a deer yet, but I think it would be one of those judging how dead is dead deals when comparing to another ammunition.

If you have an aversion to foreign products, I think the American Whitetail by Hornady would be your ticket, $22-$23.

I don't hobby shoot, I shoot to zero my scope and then I'll shoot a few rounds for practice prior to hunting season, and if I'm lucky I'll shoot 5 or 6 rounds during hunting season. My offer stands on the once fired brass.

I'm not sure how the moderators view posting links to nonsponsoring vendors, but with a google search I quickly found 7mm-08 available for a low of .86 to $1.50 a round.

I'm also fortunate that I live within 20 miles of an academy sports, dicks, basspro, cabelas and 4 locally owned gunshops. Finding ammunition is a short drive away.

Calling 7mm-08 an oddball cartridge I don't understand.

Offline jdl41389

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2014, 12:12:59 AM »
I am not calling it on the other hand I thought it was a very common round just can't find any locally.even when I look on internet all I come up with is backorder or can't back order.I to live close to academy and basspro but all they had was the premium bullet loads which I think are faro expensive for target shooting or for hunting the small white tails we have in LA that is lower Alabama.Ipersonaly think core locks or win PSP are all that are nessary for whitetails no need for more expensive rounds.As far as forieng ammo is concerned I don't have a problem with it is just mostly FM and not legal to hunt with I do use some for target shooting and find it fairly accurate.

JDL

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2014, 12:41:12 AM »
Swampy is an odd cat.  I enjoy reading his post and on  many things he gets it right. But after about ten years of reading his post I have decided Swampy is a grumpy old man set in his ways, Nothing wrong with that, I am working on becoming a curmudgeon myself. I value his opinion just as much as anyone else, Even if it's is a bit odd.

Sure aint as odd as ole bigmorty was.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline twentynine

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2014, 01:32:34 AM »
JDL

Sent you a PM.

The PPU (Privi Partisan check that spelling) is PSP not FMJ, if chunking dirt off the back stop is any indication, this stuff must expand pretty good. Now does it fragment? Does it fly well out past 100 yards? I don't know. All I do know is, my weatherby shoots a good group with it, and I'm confident that if I do my part, the gun and ammo will do its part.

Offline twentynine

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2014, 01:45:40 AM »
Swampy is an odd cat.  I enjoy reading his post and on  many things he gets it right. But after about ten years of reading his post I have decided Swampy is a grumpy old man set in his ways, Nothing wrong with that, I am working on becoming a curmudgeon myself. I value his opinion just as much as anyone else, Even if it's is a bit odd.

Sure aint as odd as ole bigmorty was.

Hey, I'm cool with not understanding, I'm the new kid on the block. This is my 8th post, been a member like 3 days. Who am I to judge?

Simply put and in my opinion: 7mm-08 is definitely not as popular as 308, 270, 243 or 30-06, but it is building in popularity. I don't believe it will ever reach the level of 30-06 in a million years. All that said I don't believe it's an odd ball. Any caliber that you can walk into a gunshop or big box store and find the cartridges on the shelf is not oddball. The stuff that you have to look for on websites, store after store, finding it few and far between now that's oddball.

His comments on cost are not founded atleast in my limited experience. I'm shooting $16.95 a box ammunition, last year I paid $21 for plain jane Federal 150 grn 30-30.

As stated earlier in this thread, I don't shoot my hunting rifles as a hoby. I do shoot my SKS,  and M1 carbine for fun. So if a box of hunting ammunition cost $16 or $32, at most I'd only be buying 2 boxes a year anyway.

Offline jdl41389

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2014, 07:02:52 AM »
Hey guys I UST got back from trip toFLA and I looked for 7mm08 at 2 different bass pro shop a dicks sporting goods  and 4 different wally worlds .I did find 2boxes of winchesters at bass pro in ft Walton it was there pointed soft point
.but it was 39$ per box while 243 ammo just like it was 21$per box along with 270,30/06and 308.25/06 was a little higher at25 per box all same brand and same type of bullet.can't understand such a big difference.

JDL