Author Topic: low budget 20 ga. slugger  (Read 1714 times)

Offline brown-trout

• Trade Count: (0)
low budget 20 ga. slugger
« on: February 25, 2004, 03:18:22 AM »
hi to all, i have  223 handi in synthetic i want to get a 20 ga bbl for my daughter to use in deer season.
1) will youth stock fit?
2) any ideas on a light weight 20 gau. bbl? any thoughts on using a std. bore bbl?  i would like to use a red dot sight.

thanks, brown trout.
state of Ohio.
================================
handi synthetic/ 223 REM / BSA 6-24X 50mm A/O
handi laminated / 270 WIN / Simmons 3-9X 40mm
pardner youth 20 gauge / Mod Choke / Red Dot Scope / Lengthened Forcing Cone / Ported Barrel

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 04:49:29 AM »
brown-trout you can order a youth 20 gauge barrel that is 22'' and modified choke for 39.00 If you need a youth stock let me know before you buy one. I have a full size stock and forearm off a H&R Topper that you can have. You only need to shorten it to her length of pull. You might want to add a slip on recoil pad (about 9.00 at walmart) because it has a plastic but plate but there yours if you want them.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 07:15:45 AM »
I would opt for the Ultra Slug 20GA...Everything you want is already there...A youth sized stock, scope rail for the red dot site and a barrel that is 2" shorter than the adult sized version.  Granted that "little" gun weighs 7 lbs without the red dot site you want to use but it will serve her for years to come.  If she ever outgrows the youth sized stock then you can always purchase an adult sized stock.  I am guessing that one of these slug guns will run around $200.00 complete.  

If you do the math with the setup you want it really isn't that bad of a deal.  $39 for the barrel accessory program plus shipping/insurance to have your receiver fitted with a 20GA mod barrel.  You will have to have that barrel drilled and tapped for the scope base to mount your red dot.  If you want to buy a youth sized stock separately that will run you moer money(don't have the exact figs as my accessory catalog has not yet arrived).  I am guessing that all of these mods will run over $100.  I figure that for about $75.00 more or less you can have a gun that is all her own and there would be no need to switch barrels around.

Accssry barrel:  $55.00 (Approximate barrel plus shipping/insurance)
Drill & Tap:           $40.00 (guess)
Youth Stock          $30.00 (guess)
      Total              $125.00 Approximate
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline 3s3k

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 09:02:33 AM »
I see your in n.e. ohio the MC sports in strongsville had 20ga ultra slug

hunter in youth model for $219.00 +tax included sling ,scope ,case and  

bore sighting may have a few left worth a shot who knows might get lucky.

They have run this special last few years! GL

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 01:46:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can order the 20ga youth size ultra barrel as an accesory barrel.I think I remember someone talking about it on the old board. Not that I have any objection to it, but why are you starting her on a red dot? I just aways figure every one starts with iron sights. If you wanted light and used iron sightsthe tracker barrel would be the way to go. The heavier ultra would help with felt recoil as well. I started with a 20 ga mod for deer and it worked fine but the accuracy rang and performance on game of modern slugs will lead me to start may son on a tracker II or ultra when the time is right.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 02:00:40 PM »
well heres a thought for $124.99 you can get a tracker2 20ga. and lob an inch or so off the stock, and you will be off and running. my oldest son uses a tracker2 20ga i picked up used, it has a williams receiver sight on it, and the factory rear sight removed. this thing shoots great, and the recoil is not bad at all. my wife has shoot it and does not mind the recoil :-D  :-D  :-D  and as far as the knock down goes, it puts them deer down great @75 yrds. now i have not shoot a deer any farther out, but other people have used these 20ga.s at over 100 yrds. of course if you want a scope mount for a red dot, an ultra would be a better choice. but they are not light weight at all. if i remember right they come in at a little over 8lbs, where the tracker2 comes in at just under 6lbs. much better for a youghster to carry around on the woods. and there is a ton of metal on the chamber to drill and tap for a scope mount later on. only my thoughts, but i wanted to give you something to think about, and try to answer the best i could.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 12:21:01 AM »
7 lbs for the youth Ultra 20GA

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 07:21:35 AM »
wow i was off alittle only 7lbs for the youth gun???? it has the same barrel i think other then 2 inches shorter, the only other change is the stock. i know, the big steel rod they put in the stocks as a counter weight, they are too long for the youth gun i bet, or the one that came in my NWTF 12ga is too long to fit a youth stock. i bet they leave those out, wow that would be aweful barrel heavy with no weight in the stock.  or i would think they would be. but i bet it really would not kick much at all.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 10:57:08 AM »
If I were concerned about recoil in a youth Ultra, I would probably order a Mercury Recoil Reducer from C&H Research.  The man at C&H can custom cut a tubular reducer to fit snug in the stock bolt hole.  I had a custom one done for my 10GA.  You just need to provide the appropriate length measurements as it seems that the bolt hole diameter is one of a couple different standard sizes.

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 04:34:53 AM »
I bought a standard model Pardner for my slug gun work.  I had the barrel cut off behind the choke and a deluxe recoil pad fitted.  The drilling and tapping the barrel for a scope base was no problem and the sight  I mounted was a Millet SP1 red dot.  I have to say it turned out to be very accurate.  20 gauge slugs from Remington, Winchester and Brenneke all shoot into less than 2 inches at 50 yards  and 5 inches at 100 yards, maybe better as it was real windy that day.  I used camou tape to mount a raised cheek piece on the stock made of heater hose (5/8) .   I left the barrel long for knocking spider webs down and moving vines out of the way.  All in all a tough accurate cheap hog and deer gun.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 03:24:55 PM »
Well most of ya'll know that I had my 12 ga. Pardner sawed off behind the choke and it is a quite a little slug slinger now. But accuracy is a problem still. I have talked to two different gunsmiths about the drill and tap and one all but flat refused and the other said it would be done if there was enough metal there. So...is there enough metal on the 12 ga. Pardner barrel for a drill and tap or do I have to pursue some other options and what would those be? I assume there would be more metal at the chamber of a 20 ga. simply because of the smaller bore.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2004, 03:38:07 PM »
lik2hunt, you are correct in assuming there will be more metal to drill into in the chamber area of a 20 gauge barrel. Several here have spoken about having that done. I am going to be visiting my friendly local gunsmith in the next week or so about drilling and tapping the chamber area of my 12 gauge for a scope rail. I'll let you know how I make out. I measured the chamber area at about .150" in thickness, looks to me as if it should be possible to drill and tap a few holes half way through to mount a scope rail. If all else fails I guess I could call H& R and for $39.00 have them add a 20 Gauge barrel to the receiver they have now and are fitting the .357 Mag barrel to. Or, buy a 20 gauge Pardner at Wal-Mart for as cheap as possible and start from scratch. Decisions, decisions, oh yeah, the money, that's where it gets a bit sticky....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley