Author Topic: Republican or Democrat?  (Read 1796 times)

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • The Daily Limit
Re: Republican or Democrat?
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 11:57:11 PM »
  Ultimately, I am still concerned for our young people and our country.  I would hope every adult American would be.
What concerns me, might not concern you.  Or more importantly, what concerns me with respect to my kids, might not concern you with respect to yours.  I don't drink, smoke, or gamble, but I don't presume that others can only find their way through life like I have.  Not everyone can get the enjoyment out of life that I do, in the way I do.  For some it's the camaraderie of church on Sunday, so be it.  But if someone wants to drink beers with their buddy on Sunday, so be it.  If they want to cut their life short sucking down a bunch of cigs, so be it.  If they get a little happiness from playing poker or blackjack, again, who am I to judge.  Nobody appointed me their caretaker, nor should they. 

I am not aware of a single place where underage Marijuana smoking is legal?  If you are eliminating freedom, "for the kids" please tell me how and where you draw the line?  I'm just as afraid of the religious whackos that deny common medical care to their kids than I am that a 10 year old is going to get high.  But, in the end, I am not the caretaker of either kid. 

American life was designed to be run without the government babysitting you through life.  Sadly, we've gotten away from that, and even more sadly, it's not just the Democrats that got us there.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2014, 04:10:48 AM »
  I am only voicing my OPINION..just as most others here voice their OPINIONS..

As yet I have no straight answer; so again:

Just how in the world am I FORCING my opinion on others ? :-\
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 04:25:52 AM »
IG,
If you have not figured it out from some of the posts here I don't know how much better to explain it to you.
GuzziJohn

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 04:29:37 AM »

Lets say I think hunting on Sunday is wrong.  God's day, or something.  I can voice that opinion.  I can teach that opinion to my kids.  I can write letters to the editors, sing songs, buy billboards, etc...  That's my first amendment right, and it's what this country was founded on.  When I start forcing that opinion on others is when I take steps to make my opinion LAW.  Ultimately, assuming my effort is successful then they no longer have the right to choose for themselves, and are bound by my belief, not theirs.

BTW, wild story in the KC Star yesterday.  Apparently it IS illegal to buy motorcycles in Missouri on Sundays.  I guess freedom to buy and sell whatever day you want has not always been popular in Missouri. 
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/you-can-t-buy-a-motorcycle-in-missouri-on-sunday/article_59b49fa0-3068-50bf-9dde-16c34b0964ca.html

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 04:48:28 AM »
Missouri has had some weird laws over the years. Ran into a 1964 KC Star newspaper sometime back. There was an article about the the Missouri Highway Patrol needing to hire 24 republicans for officers and having difficulty finding them. It was state law at the time that the MHP had to have a 50/50 force of democratic and republican officers.
GuzziJohn

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2014, 04:50:34 AM »
All that is irrelevant to me , except that I am not sponsoring bills in congress or even at a state level, all I am suggesting is that such enticements are not good for our country or people... beyond speaking and espousing such views, I am powerless.  So I still can't FORCE anything..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 05:22:25 AM »
BTW--FYI.....Mr. Dukkilr, I believe it is against F&G laws to hunt on Sunday in Maine, don't know about fishing.
..TM7
I didn't pick that hypothetical by accident.  I knew it was an issue in one of the Carolinas.  Got into a discussion about it here a while back.  Your basic, my religion says you can't do something so it should be law for everyone... type thing.  The discussion unfolded very similarly as well...
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/carolinas-virginia/hunters-we-could-sure-use-your-help-to-pass-sunday-hunting-in-virginia!/msg1099640361/#msg1099640361

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 06:01:50 AM »

What is with you? No one has accused you of forcing your opinion on anyone.These are your words.
Let it rest!!!!! I'm sick of hearing it, as I'm sure others are. You made your point.......You don't believe Libertarians have MORALS. I'm sure there are some who don't. Equally sure even more Republicans and Democrat leaders are devoid of them.

Personally I agree with Devvy. The Republican and Democrat parties are beyond fixing, and should become a memory. I'm sure it won't happen in my generation, but since history has a way of repeating, I'm sure they will someday go away.Perhaps a movement lead by some Libertarian leaning people. Perhaps not. Anything would be an improvement over the present two mafia style  rivals. Those are My opinion, and I know I can't force them on anyone. I've tried with my wife for 40 plus years without any success. ;)
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline scootrd

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2014, 07:54:10 AM »
I suppose in the spirit of "fair play" I should say those who favor legalization of pot for instance are FORCING their ideas upon me..  Hah..fat chance ! I would rather think that they are trying to CONVINCE me of their convictions, just as I am doing with my convictions..nothing strange there!

If you are truly convinced that I can FORCE my ideas upon others...please explain exactly HOW I can do this..  I await your answer with anticipation.
Funny example.  You see those who voted for legalization of Marijuana are voting for the freedom of choice to do or not do something.  It's the exact opposite of voting to make something illegal, which removes a choice.

So to be clear.  Suppose Marijuana was discovered yesterday.  States all over the country are making laws for the first time.  Some of those states are coming down on the side of freedom.  They are assuming that you are capable of deciding to smoke or not for yourself.  Some of those states are coming down on the side of making it illegal.  Those states are assuming that they know what is right for you, and they know that you can't be trusted to make that decision for yourself. 

See the difference?  It's not about what you like.  I hate smoke of all things, marijuana included.  I like my nice clean healthy lungs.  In my perfect world no one would smoke anything.  Except it isn't up to me to decided what other people believe, and I realize that many have a different idea of a perfect world than I do.  It's not about what you like, it's about what others decide they like...

EXACTLY !!!!!
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 09:57:03 AM »
the real war is the war for control of your own mind_ _and why I believe there is only One Party in the USA, The Party only it has two heads. The Party has to contend with various seen and unseen pressure groups and power centers....The People are the last to be represented it appears..........
..TM7

your probly right...and all we can do is slow them down
i think helping the TEA party flip the republican branch is the best way
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.