Author Topic: Primers for 357 mag  (Read 724 times)

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
Primers for 357 mag
« on: February 18, 2014, 11:29:50 AM »
I have used small rifle primers in my 357 as I have never used heavy loads in my handgun, just 38+p loads. The 357's are going through my handi. I never had any small pistol mag primers, but wonder what experience you guys might have had. I have never had any problems with mine, but wonder if it might be better with pistol mag primers.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline Jeff H

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Re: Primers for 357 mag
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 12:14:39 PM »
I use only small rifle primers in the .357 Mag (Rossi M92) and .357 Max. (Handi) RIFLES. 

Some were Remington but recently they have been Wolf Small Rifle "Magnum" which are really not magnums - they just have a tougher cup for AR use.

I have used these with W231, Unique, Herco, 2400, H110, Lil'Gun and IMR 4227 with excellent results.  In the Max' I shot light to mid-range cast loads and in the Mag, cat-sneeze to the very top end loads published. 

I stopped using pistol primers in the Mag when I sold my last .357 and .38 revolvers so I didn't need to worry about stocking another primer.  That way, instead of splitting an order between two types, I just order twice as much of one type and never run short of one while having a useless surplus of another.

I have also never used magnum small pistol or small rifle primers, even for the slow burning powders.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 12:29:03 PM »
i've been using regular small
pistol primers in all my .357's
for a good number of years
with no problems.
i just recently discovered some
small pistol mag primers i'd had
put back for some reason, and
i'll soon be using those up.

18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 01:20:48 PM »
I have always used regular small pistol unless it was a heavy magnum load or the book called for something else.

Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 03:27:53 AM »
Im with you Bob; SP for pistol class loads and SR for those with some substantial pressure 'just because I have both'. Even so, top loads for hanguns have high pressures and they dont tell us to use SR primers with them. I dont have the 'tough to ignite' powders so I dont use 'magnum' powders at all. I also dont exceed book loads and watch the 'pressure warning signs' even approaching top book data.
Most of what I shoot are reduced velocity, thus reduced pressure, cast bullet loads so my primer choice is not going to put me on or over the edge. One time I had an old rifle with a light mainspring in 22Hornet and had to use SP primers, and my groups improved. Another was a fat F-Pin and worn hole so harder primers let me use the 'good load'. FWIW, I rarely use top data loads, usually 10-15% below, and watch for 'signs' while working up anyway.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 12:45:46 AM »

I was taught to follow the load-recipes of the cartridge I might be reloading!

But with the pistol vs rifle choices in the Handi's and Mag vs Maxi in the Handi, I could see some careful experimenting with primers might be worth while, esp if a particular receiver had a smallish really sharp firing pin the cratered caps.

I have used (only) a few CCI 500's when loading the .218 Bee in the Handi.
Worked just fine!  ;)

Plus using SR caps for highER pressure loads in the .357 Max (and similar applications) also makes GOOD sense too!  8)

One added point, with many components still being scarce, I'm intrigued by how "substitutes" might be discovered used, but with much much CARE and CAUTION and done safely/slowy starting with minimum laods and [then] CAREFULLY working up.  Of course careful note taking and keeping record of results is as important as staying SAFE.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 11:48:14 AM »
I started using small rifle primers in my .357 revolvers during the first primer shortage 20+ years back.  They worked so well I've never gone back.  Some say that a revolver with light springs may not set them off but one of my S&W's has light springs and has never failed to fire small rifle primers.  I've stopped buying small pistol primers and that has simplified my stock of components.  They ever work well in my daughter's Makarov...

Tony

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 10:14:56 AM »
I use small rifle primers in the 357 mag and max. I have seen published load data using both sp and sr in the mag and 30 carbine to name a few. A diligent reloader will back off and work up anytime a component is changed.

Offline Jim Stacy

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 12:39:44 PM »
My Marlin 357 shoots the 296/H110 loads the best and the rifle groups better with small pistol mag primers.
The rifle also shoots quite well with small rifle magnum primers. The small rifle loads shoot about 1.5" lower at 100 yards than the pistol primers ?

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 10:30:49 PM »
That would indicate more velocity to me.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Jim Stacy

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 10:28:12 AM »
My thought also . I just have not clocked them yet.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2014, 10:47:30 AM »
Just believe what the target tells you (until you do get to chrono), after all, its the holes, and where they are, that really matter  ;D (just like using a drill).
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special