Author Topic: GOP trying to stop obamas exec abuse of power.  (Read 403 times)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
GOP trying to stop obamas exec abuse of power.
« on: February 18, 2014, 10:14:58 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/02/19/house-republicans-sign-on-to-measure-to-stop-presidential-overreach/

House Republicans sign on to measure to stop presidential overreachShannon Bream                   By Shannon BreamPublished February 19, 2014FoxNews.com            As President Obama's critics grow increasingly concerned about his use of executive power, they're also examining their options.
In the House, more than 100 Republican members have signed on to the Stop This Overreaching President (STOP) Resolution. In it, Rep. Tom Rice, R-SC, lays out the ways in which he believes the president has violated his Article 2, Section 3 constitutional duty to "take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed.

Rice points to the president's unilateral modifications to the Affordable Care Act (ACA), welfare-to-work requirements and immigration laws.
If a majority of House members support the STOP resolution, it would authorize a civil lawsuit against Obama.  In the past, members have had a tough time launching lawsuits against a sitting president.
Former Democratic congressman Dennis Kucinich of Ohio tried to sue both President George W. Bush and Obama. Both times, a federal judge turned away his lawsuits.
Georgetown University law professor Nicholas Rosenkranz has doubts that the current effort will be successful, but grasps the motivation.  "I quite understand their frustration," he says, adding, "The president has taken a lot of actions that seem a bit more like writing law or rewriting law - rather than taking care that it be faithfully executed."

Rosenkranz says another tool could be more effective for Congress: the power of the purse. He notes that it gives members a great deal of leverage when they're united.
It's a tactic Sen.Mike Lee, R-Utah, is publicly floating. "James Madison talked about this and said when the president abuses his power, the best thing Congress can do is withhold funding for the president, so the president can't continue to hurt the American people," he said.
There is yet another option which few are willing to publicly discuss. "A check on executive lawlessness is impeachment," Rosenkranz said in a House hearing last December. Kucinich says the maneuver should be reserved for only "the most extraordinary circumstances," but admits "it's in the Constitution as a check against the abuse of power."

Even some of Obama's own one-time supporters say he would be wise to remember his words from the 2008 campaign trail.  On March 31, 2008, then-Senator Obama told a crowd at Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology, "I take the Constitution very seriously."
He went on to say that one of the country's biggest problems was the use of executive power by then-President Bush, adding, "That's what I intend to reverse when I'm president of the United States of America."
Shannon Bream joined Fox News Channel (FNC) in 2007 and is a Washington-based correspondent covering the Supreme Court. She also serves as the anchor of "America's News Headquarters" (Sundays at 12-2PM/ET).
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline spruce

Re: GOP trying to stop obamas exec abuse of power.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 12:28:21 AM »
The losers always cry foul, doesn't matter if it's politics or sports!  Ever see the winning team protest the outcome? ::)

Offline magooch

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 01:50:06 AM »
So if Bush in your mind issued executive orders that violated the Constitution, then it's just fine for this commie idiot we have now to do whatever the hell he feels like?  Do you really think that the Dumycrats would have passed up the chance to impeach Bush if he had overstepped his authority?  Nancy Pilosi was always shooting off her stupid mouth about Bush this and Bush that until she became Speaker and then was challenged as to why they hadn't come forward with articles of impeachment.  She admitted right up front that GWB had not violated the law and they had no grounds for impeachment.

It is no mystery as to why the Republicans aren't willing yet to impeach Hessein the dick tater, because they are worried to death about the upcoming elections and they collectively lack the moral fortitude.  And mostly because they know full well that it would never see the light of day in the Senate.
Swingem

Offline scootrd

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 07:33:50 AM »
The losers always cry foul, doesn't matter if it's politics or sports!  Ever see the winning team protest the outcome? ::)

I know I'm still reeling from the Fail Mary, Inaccurate Reception call by scab refs at the end of the Green Bay Seattle game in 2012
A heavy lift us  Packers fans will have to carry for a looooogggg time to come :)
"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 08:27:39 AM »
Disregarding for a moment one of TM's increasingly rare lucid moments as a distraction from the fundamentally anti-Constitutional behavior of the current regime, note Prof Rosenkreutz's reference to the House' "power of the purse". Note also the rapidity with which a "clean Bill" to raise the debt ceiling was recently passed in the Republican controlled House (with Bonehead's and others of the Republican "leadership"). The Republicans have repeatedly failed to use the "power of the purse" to stop this President's unconscionable overreach. Because House Republicans are themselves spendthrifts.

This STOP Resolution is piss poor political showmanship. In the unlikely event Bonehead and his minions allow it to be voted on, its passage would be meaningless. Impeach him. But they can't because the Dems control the Senate. Cut off funds for his plans. But they can't because the House Republicans are as spendthrift as Trust Fund Crack Addicts!
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]