Author Topic: Hog Attack  (Read 3896 times)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: Hog Attack
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2014, 12:29:26 AM »
I know you mean,'shake hands'; A Cognac hoisted to you!  ;D
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2014, 01:54:21 AM »
I've been in a situation where several smaller pigs ran by me after I started shooting the lead pig. I was real glad to have a 1911 in my hands and some combat training guiding me. It's an intense 3 seconds of man versus animal that is still a vivid memory. I have often thought about what I would do if I was carrying a single shot if/when it happens again. It only seems logical to start swinging the rifle like a club. I've been in combat situations where anything and everything was used as a weapon. These hog encounters would qualify as a comparable situation.

Thanks, Dinny
I agree with Dinny on this, as I was in the same situation but I was carrying my 30-30 Winchester.  The hog turned and came right at me and I opened fire when it initiated it's charge and I realized it's intent.
My two first shots missed it's mark, but the third dropped the hog within 30 feet of me.
You stay focused on the chore at hand, and you don't think about anything but stopping the charge!
There is plenty of time to shake afterwards.

There is a joke in there somewhere.... I know the saying that an unloaded gun is like a club and not a great one at that.

Roger that any item can be a weapon if you think. I'd rather do as my signature... If your gonna carry a single shot LEARN TO USE IT! ;)

Also 30' that the outside edge of a danger zone on this critter. They can move quick but a level head and good shot are quicker.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Singlebarrel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2014, 07:06:24 AM »
I have been charged twice by hogs that I can recall.  Or maybe a better word is treed.  Once in a Custard Apple swamp on Lake Okeechobee and once on a tree island in the everglades.  All I ever had with me was a machette.  Both times I dropped the machette and scrambled up the closest tree that was big enough to get me off the ground a little ways.  I know that Tarzan would have taken the machette and wacked those hogs into porkchops. My mama did not raise Tarzan. Hogs could be a little scary at times. But wild cattle?  Bad news.  Forty years gone by and they are still giving me nightmares. Funny, that native wildlife never was much of a bother. It was the feral stuff you had to watch out for.
Eight years out there and I never took a gun.  Only machettes.

Offline Jim Stacy

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2014, 08:14:05 AM »
If I hunt hogs ,on foot , I also wear a compact 4"41Mag should things get close and the Handi run empty with hostilities still in effect.  ;)

Offline Joe S.

• Trade Count: (30)
  • A Real Regular
  • The poisonous mushroom!
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2014, 12:55:51 PM »
I've been in a situation where several smaller pigs ran by me after I started shooting the lead pig. I was real glad to have a 1911 in my hands and some combat training guiding me. It's an intense 3 seconds of man versus animal that is still a vivid memory. I have often thought about what I would do if I was carrying a single shot if/when it happens again. It only seems logical to start swinging the rifle like a club. I've been in combat situations where anything and everything was used as a weapon. These hog encounters would qualify as a comparable situation.

Thanks, Dinny
I agree with Dinny on this, as I was in the same situation but I was carrying my 30-30 Winchester.  The hog turned and came right at me and I opened fire when it initiated it's charge and I realized it's intent.
My two first shots missed it's mark, but the third dropped the hog within 30 feet of me.
You stay focused on the chore at hand, and you don't think about anything but stopping the charge!
There is plenty of time to shake afterwards.
sounds like a Kenny Rogers song. :)

I have been charged twice by hogs that I can recall.  Or maybe a better word is treed.  Once in a Custard Apple swamp on Lake Okeechobee and once on a tree island in the everglades.  All I ever had with me was a machette.  Both times I dropped the machette and scrambled up the closest tree that was big enough to get me off the ground a little ways.  I know that Tarzan would have taken the machette and wacked those hogs into porkchops. My mama did not raise Tarzan. Hogs could be a little scary at times. But wild cattle?  Bad news.  Forty years gone by and they are still giving me nightmares. Funny, that native wildlife never was much of a bother. It was the feral stuff you had to watch out for.
Eight years out there and I never took a gun.  Only machettes.

my dad grew up in Florida and his grand dad grew up in near and spent much time in the glades. He has a horn mount of a feral bull he killed back in the 20's or 30's.  Has a lil ol hole in its skull plate. Said his grandpa would sit in a tree and let em pass under em and shoot em with a .22. But he didn't dare get down til the twitchin was over.
Joe S.
Central MS

"An armed society is a polite society."

redistribute work ethic!

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2014, 10:29:17 PM »
Also down in Florida, I had a wild cow with a calf put me up a tree.  I had my 12 ga. and put about three rounds over her head.  It didn't phase her.  After about a half hour she got bored and wandered off.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Joe S.

• Trade Count: (30)
  • A Real Regular
  • The poisonous mushroom!
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2014, 11:32:03 PM »
Ive had brahma cows put me in truck beds and over fences. And they aint even wild. Cant imagine once they go wild how they'd be.
Joe S.
Central MS

"An armed society is a polite society."

redistribute work ethic!

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2014, 11:35:08 PM »
Yeah, but a Brahma doesnt even like it's favorite food........ ;)
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline glockmeister

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2014, 11:46:14 PM »
gcrank1, you mean to say, ''a brahma get up in the morning in a BAD MOOD and it just goes downhill from there.'' Been there in my younger days and do not care to repeat the experience. I guess the old saying about God protecting the young and foolish is true, it was in my case. Y'all take care, John.
It's not what you do, but how you do what you do, that counts.
Just keep on keeping on!

Offline oldsoldja

• "what ever you do, dont smoke."
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • endeavor to persevere
TDC, 2x TJC, 7x57, 3030mann,.356,300aac,.30carbine,2x50-70, 375win,243 fluted,30-06 ported, 454 casull,270 fluted.458wm,7mm-08 shorty,223 shorty,35 whel,16g folder, 357talo, 45colt carbine,35 rem,22250 fluted, 4570shorty, 22hornetshorty , 357max, 17m2,7.62x39, 12g fluted slug, 450 marlin, 22mag, 22lr,10g camo, 38-55, 17hmr custom, 410g, m48 16g,44 mag talo,410-12m, m8-12g, m158 20g, 22jet ,wh 45-70 bc,.280,58 50 45 MLS, 12g folder,4x 30-30,3x17hmr,m4816g,410,.308,45-120,3x204 fluted, 20gslug, 25-06,12g ported slug, 20g ribbed, .270ported, 22h mann, 500shorty .357.444,20g,45-70,223,12g, 7.62x39 shorty, 20g greenwing, 500sw talo, 4x 45-70 bc, 22khornet

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2014, 10:53:57 AM »
I had an equally horrific episode occur while on the island of Oahu several years back.We were at North Shore having a family picnic on one of the prettiest beaches in the world.Two rather large Samoan sows in the 300-400lb range  wearing traditional sarongs  noticed a large bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken in our picnic area.Their primal instincts aroused to a very dangerous level. A charge was imminent!!!!!!!!!!! Luckily I was prepared! I reached in the bag a pulled the only thing that would save us ............ A can of SPAM!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tossed it to  them and they went merrily on their way . Even a 45-120 would not have stopped the charge as quickly !!!!
[/size]George
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2014, 09:11:28 PM »
George,
  I'm amazed every time I read about people making life or death decisions with limited time.  ;D I don't know that I could have remained as calm and collected as you.  :)

I hope you're never put into that situation again. No one knows what the outcome would be.

:D ;D

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline Singlebarrel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2014, 11:05:20 PM »
During the 1970s my project area covered Lake Okeechobee and much of the remaining saw grass everglades running south to the north border of Everglades National Park and to the west by the Big Cypress.  During lower lake stages Lake Okeechobee was heavily grazed in some areas.  The cowboys would round up the cows before the water levels got too high, but left a lot of strays.  I was often neck deep in alligators and had my share of experiences with panthers and bears and hogs. There were times when I was a little uneasy with the alligators.  However, the only two things I ever encountered that really had me scared, I mean down right heart pumping, palm sweating, crap in the pants scared, were wild bulls and lightning.  No control over either one and both totally unpredictable.  My heart rate just jumped up to about 120 beats a minute just writing about them. 

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
  • A Real Regular
  • For every Goliath, there is a stone.
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2014, 12:44:07 AM »
That reminds me of a time I was helping father-in-law and the vet pull a dead calf from a cow...had cow in head-gate, come-a-long puller hooked on one end around calf, the other end hooked to corner post. My job (@250# at the time) was to stand on the cable and jump up and down to help pull.  After we got the dead calf out, the vet turned the cow loose, and for some reason or another the cow blamed me for all the pain and dead baby....she charged at me and I ran around a big bale feeder ring and as i turned I slipped in the mud, etc and fell clear down on the ground. I thought I has toast, but luckily the cow slipped and fell too, giving me time to jump in the bed of the vet's pickup...he was laughing his ass off saying "I was rodeoing"
I asked him what I feller could do if one of them ever got them down and he said , "about the only thing you can do is reach up and pull one of their eyeballs out...he said the farmers don't like it but too bad...."
Oh for about 5 yrs until my FIL got rid of that old cow, anytime I was on place she would raise holy hell and try to get me and no one else , until he finally took her to sale barn.
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2014, 03:55:55 AM »
not a hog but a bull , my dad was raking hay with a horse drawn rake when a bull crossed the river and came at him. the horses broke free and the bull attacked the rake . Got it stuck on his head then chased my dad up a tree . the bull kept him up the tree for a couple hours. My grandpa shot the bull .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !