Author Topic: My first Handi Rifle - questions...  (Read 3774 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: My first Handi Rifle - questions...
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2014, 04:32:44 AM »
Remove just the very tip of the hammer spur, and file the inside corners of the hammer spur extension so it sits a little lower on the hammer, I've done this with dozens of Handis.  ;)

Tim

http://www.americanrifleman.org/blogs/terminology-hammer-spur/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2014, 12:10:19 PM »
I would file it down.  The first time I mounted a scope on my first Handi, the hammer barely touched the scope but it was enough that it did not allow the latch to completely engage so each time I fired a round the gun popped open.  It took me a week to figure it out!  Of course that was when the internet was just starting and there was no GBO forum full of Handiholics to guide me! ;D

BW

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2014, 12:13:04 PM »
It looks to me like you have the scope pushed all the way forwards though.  Why not bring it back to the front bell touching the rings?  Then it might clear completely as most of mine do...
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2014, 12:15:10 PM »
You cannot have a hammer touching the scope without issues of some sort, none good for your equipment or shooting.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
That scope must have a lot of eye relief. I wouldn't think it would need to be that far forward :-\  Depends on how you bring up the rifle and the sight picture you get, what is right for you.
I just got done mounting a 2-7 Weaver on a 22 Sportster with high Quad Locks. It looks like the mediums would work but I've been down that road before ::)  I'm going to get a med. set again before I loctite these but I bet it won't work again :'(  Someday I may spend the money if I find the right Burris rings and try them but I'd hate to replace several rings on rifles.
Unless you have a really long neck I'd think it could come back and still fit you ;D
Don't get scope eye though ;)  As said I don't like the hammer to touch the scope when I fire it. Good Luck

I went back and looked at your picture and that seems to have a long bell.

Offline Fred243

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2014, 04:42:07 PM »
I agree with tacklebury, the easiest thing to do before you start filing on things is to pull the scope back. Since you have it pushed all the way forward if you can move it back 3/4- 1 inch the hammer spur would go up under the angled area and not hit the scope anymore. It looks like you can pull it back an inch or more. Just make sure you don't go to far the other way, the ring needs to stay on the tube and not tighten down on the back portion of the objective lens.

Offline alank2

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2014, 09:57:48 PM »
Thanks guys for the ideas.  Even if I slide it rearward it won't go far enough so that the bell of the scope makes any difference in where it barely touches the hammer.  I'm going to file the hammer a bit later tonight and see how that goes.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2014, 11:24:40 PM »
move the scope further back....unless you shoot prone alot

is the hammer spur mounted ''under'' the hammer??...turn it over 180 degrees
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2014, 09:21:15 AM »
You may have to move the front ring back one notch like Pete's picture in this thread. Think it is close to the same scope as you have. As long as your eye relief is correct and the scope isn't too close to your eye shooting a 444 could hurt ;)
I've had to move the rings to fit a scope before.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2014, 10:21:29 AM »
It wont go any farther back you say.....hmmmmm, not so from your pic
Loosen both ring caps
Slide the scope rearward until the front cap is at the objective bell joins the tube or the hammer clears the ocular bell, whichever comes first. If you are sill not back enough move the front ring base to the next slot back on the rail.
Square up the crosshairs
Tighten it down
Check your eye relief and field of view
FWIW, many shooters 'crowd the comb', that is, shouder the gun and cramp their head too far forward. This is pretty well guaranteed to bite you when you go to heavy kickers. Learning to mount the gun and lay your head to the side is a habit worth promotion.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2014, 12:07:30 PM »
Also, what do you guys recommend for a scope.  I'm not sure I want to spend much on it so I can keep my total cost low.  What is decent value for the $$$ that will tolerate 444 recoil and has good customer service/lifetime warranty.  I can suffer some glass quality loss for price savings...

Don't know if they still do them but the Simmons fixed 4x  "shotgun" scope would be a good choice. They were about $40 a couple of years back, optics are just fine and I have one that has handled a lot of slugs and heavy turkey loads with no complaints. I have an old Bushnell fixed 4x on my 444 and there is no need for anything more powerful than that. It's a fun caliber. A bit stiff with full house loads but quite flat for a strait wall large bore. Enjoy.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]