Author Topic: My first Handi Rifle - questions...  (Read 3778 times)

Offline alank2

• Trade Count: (0)
My first Handi Rifle - questions...
« on: February 19, 2014, 09:56:16 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I picked up a SB2-44S (444 Marlin) at Dick's sporting goods.  They had them on sale for $199 from $299 and the guy gave me another $10 off for a survey and $20 for opening a CC, so I got it down to $169 which was less than I thought I'd get one for.

The trigger is very nice right off the bat.

Q#1 - It has the Monte Carlo synthetic stock (see image link).  Will the limbsaver 10018 fit this one?

http://www.hr1871.com/images/zoom_synthetic_23rem.jpg

Q#2 - I noticed that I can't put my ar15 scope or red dot on its base (pica vs weaver?).  What type of low cost rings would you recommend?  I'll probably borrow my AR scope to try out on it for awhile (weaver classic 1-3x20 #S49400).  Maybe I should just get a pica base or a separate scope.

Thanks,

Alan

Offline glockmeister

• Avid Poster
Re: My first Handi Rifle - questions...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 10:55:14 PM »
Alan, welcome to the GBO family. I'm unsure about question #1. but as to question #2, I'd go with Weaver Quad-loks, probably in medium height. Welcome to the group of ''Handiholics'' as we call ourselves. Lots of folks on here with lots of info on all things Handi. Take care, John.
It's not what you do, but how you do what you do, that counts.
Just keep on keeping on!

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 11:47:39 PM »
Welcome, that's a heck of a deal.
As John said the Weaver quad locks are $10 at my Walmart and they have limbsavers  also. Tim will be along or it might be in the FAQs at the top of the page. About everything you need to know about Handis is in there.

Where's this Dick's and do they have anymore, is the sale still on???

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 12:14:57 AM »
Welcome!!  I like the medium Burris Zee rings.  They're steel and that Handi will have a tad bit of recoil.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 12:44:44 AM »
Welcome Alan! See Limbsaver for Synthetic Stock in the FAQs sticky, a good place to spend a LOT of time reading, the #10018 is for the old style synthetic stock, they make one for the Tikka T3 Lite that works with a little modification for the new checkered style, the number is in that link, I have one on my 35 Whelen Improved.

+ a dozen on Burris Zee rings, that's all I use with few exceptions. ;)

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 12:50:02 AM »
I like the burris rings myself, The size of course with depend on the diameter of your scope.  You can modify the base to accept pictinny rings thou, If you look at the bottom of the rings you can see where they hit, Just cut that spot on the base till they fit.

You got a get buy on that rifle BTW and welcome  8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline alank2

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 04:01:34 AM »
Where's this Dick's and do they have anymore, is the sale still on???

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com

Not sure how long the sale was for, but I'll bet it is still on if you have one close by.

Offline alank2

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 04:05:41 AM »
Hi,

Welcome Alan! See Limbsaver for Synthetic Stock in the FAQs sticky, a good place to spend a LOT of time reading, the #10018 is for the old style synthetic stock, they make one for the Tikka T3 Lite that works with a little modification for the new checkered style, the number is in that link, I have one on my 35 Whelen Improved.

I couldn't tell from the faq if the 10018 was found out after the tikka one and which was better or not...

Thanks,

Alan

Offline alank2

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 04:09:47 AM »
Also, what do you guys recommend for a scope.  I'm not sure I want to spend much on it so I can keep my total cost low.  What is decent value for the $$$ that will tolerate 444 recoil and has good customer service/lifetime warranty.  I can suffer some glass quality loss for price savings...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 04:51:41 AM »
The #10011 for the Tikka T3 Lite is the pad that can be modified to fit the checkered syn stock, see the update edit in red.

Tim

A fella at Shooters Forum asked about an upgraded recoil pad for the H&R synthetic stock, and I got one of those bright ideas that happens once in a while. ::)  I have a Tikka T3 Lite 338Winmag with the Limbsaver #10011 pad on it, I compared the OEM pad to the contour of the synthetic stock, it's real close, so just for S&G, I removed the Limbsaver from the Tikka and checked the fit on a synthetic stock, it's not perfect, but it's good enough to use, it's just a tad wider and taller than the stock, but I think it could be sanded down enough to match perfect or just used as is, it isn't off that much. The top hole in the pad mounting plate would need to be slotted just a little higher, and a new mounting fixture(block of wood) epoxied in for the bottom mount, unless the hole could be relocated slightly towards the bottom. I'd use it myself if I liked the synthetic stocks more, but I'm sure others here will be interested, specially those with 45-70s and anyone with a bad shoulder or shooters that are recoil sensitive. ;)

Tim

EDIT:  The #10018 prefit is made for the (old style Monte Carlo) synthetic Handi stock, see later reply.

Update 7/22/2009: Limbsaver #10011 fits the new style syn stock after relocating the lower screw hole in the pad.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 05:00:59 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the recoil of the 444 affecting the scope, any scope made for a big game rifle will work fine, 444 recoil is about the same as a 30-06, even if you load heavier bullets, it won't be much more, I've shot max loaded 240gr, 265gr and 355gr in one of my 444 Handis with no problems using a Bushnell Legend scope, the most critical part of choosing a Handi friendly scope is one with a small ocular lens and small power ring for variables to clear the hammer without hammer mods or using high rings. Older Nikon Prostaffs and any Leupold will work fine just to name a couple. If you want to eliminate the hammer clearance issue, go to a fixed power scope.

Tim

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Offline alank2

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 08:33:17 AM »
I got a slip on at walmart to see if $20 would do it, but I don't like the extra length so I'm going to shell out the $40 on the tikka t3 one.

I do have one question however - the stock is hollow except for the two places where the screws mount.  Doesn't the limbsaver need a firm flat surface to work against to provide its full effect?  I was going to pull off the pad and try the slip on one, but only the outside of the stock edge pressed against the outside edge of the limbsaver - I don't see how any of the cushions in the middle of it would be helpful...  Any thoughts on this?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 08:48:08 AM »
Pads for synthetic stocks have a boss that fits inside of the hollow stock centering it, pads for wood stocks are flat to match the flat end of the butt stock. You can see it in one of the Amazon pics.

Tim

http://www.amazon.com/Limbsaver-10011-Limb-Saver/dp/B008CXLXZI

Offline alank2

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 10:57:55 AM »
Thanks for the info and link Tim! :)

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 09:05:25 PM »
The new Redfield Revolution scopes with variable power seem to work pretty well with the hammer issues of Handis as well as older Simmons as  they have recently redesigned them.  If you can find an older Simmons Whitetail or a Bushnell with the smaller adjustment rings you can mount them pretty low.  As far as rings, Weaver, Millet make good rings along with the previously mentioned rings.  I have seen some that look good called Rifleman, I think they were made by Leopold.

BW

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 07:09:55 AM »
I just buy high Weaver Quadlocks at Wallyworld for $15 a set.  I have had no problem mounting any scope on my Handi's.  It's hard to beat that for the money!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 07:26:53 AM »
I have the Banner 4x32s and 3-9x40 with the circle X on five or six of my Handis.  I like them.  You can use the circle X the same as you'd use a MilDot scope.

Here's the Shorty .47-70 with 4x32 and Medium Burris Zee rings.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 09:42:30 AM »
Here is one setup I have with an older Bushnell scope and Weaver Quad Lock rings.  As you can see, the power ring position and design can be critical.

BW

Offline alank2

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 11:01:56 AM »
I ended up ordering the 4x32 from midway for $59, we'll see how it does.  I went back to walmart to get some high rings as he medium ones were too short even with my other scope and picked up some weaver steel high ones for $22, they were out of aluminum but I figured some extra weight for recoil management won't hurt at all.  Got some brass in today, can't wait to get it all together and try it out at the range.

Offline Ol BW

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 09:48:52 PM »
I assume you are talking about the steel with the flat strap across the top that hooks on one side and screws down on the opposite.

I have them also and really like them.  Just remember when tightening the ring down it will twist the scope towards the side with the screws.  It takes a little playing with to get right but they will hold tight.

BW

Offline Fred243

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2014, 05:43:39 PM »
The new Redfield Revolution scopes with variable power seem to work pretty well with the hammer issues of Handis as well as older Simmons as  they have recently redesigned them.  If you can find an older Simmons Whitetail or a Bushnell with the smaller adjustment rings you can mount them pretty low.  As far as rings, Weaver, Millet make good rings along with the previously mentioned rings.  I have seen some that look good called Rifleman, I think they were made by Leopold.

BW

I just put a new Redfield Revenge 3-9x52 on my Handi 30-30 Win and it's the perfect scope for that gun. I have a DNZ Game Reaper Scope Mount on it as well. It's a great set up and rock solid !

Offline Fred243

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 05:46:57 PM »
I ended up ordering the 4x32 from midway for $59, we'll see how it does.  I went back to walmart to get some high rings as he medium ones were too short even with my other scope and picked up some weaver steel high ones for $22, they were out of aluminum but I figured some extra weight for recoil management won't hurt at all.  Got some brass in today, can't wait to get it all together and try it out at the range.

Congratulations on your new rifle !! Did Dick's have a good selection of Handi's that you by chance saw ? That's a heck of a deal you got there.

Offline alank2

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 11:12:57 PM »
Congratulations on your new rifle !! Did Dick's have a good selection of Handi's that you by chance saw ? That's a heck of a deal you got there.

Not as much as I would have liked.  They didn't have any combo ones that I could see although they did have one 45/70 and some 35's.  If they had had a 44 mag I might have been tempted to do it instead as I really love the 44, but the 444 is very cool and takes the same bullet which I have on hand already and has more capability.

The limbsaver 10011 arrived yesterday and I got it installed.  It is slightly short vertically and a tiny bit fatter horizontally, but not by much.  Enough to leave a sharp edge from the polymer stock at the top though that I may file somewhat.  It did not have an insert that fits inside the stock at all, but it did have a thick flat plate that will spread the recoil energy properly across it.  I ended up trimming the rubber insert off of the factory one and putting it in between but I'm not sure it really did anything but align things a bit easier.  The screws were very tight to tighten because they went into a channel that was only partially cut and needed to go deeper than originally, perhaps I should have drilled out the holes smaller than the screws a bit, but didn't have to.  It looks good on the rifle and seems solid and is certainly softer than the pad that came with it, so we'll see how it shoots when I get the dies/scope.

Thanks everyone,

Alan

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 12:19:24 AM »
You're getting close to the point where you have to start posting pictures ;)

Offline alank2

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 02:13:45 AM »
Got the dies and scope today.  With the 1" high rings the hammer just barely touches the scope but I don't see the scope impeding it in anyway so I'm just going to go with it instead of trying higher rings.  Will post a picture of the whole rifle later on.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2014, 02:34:28 AM »
I'm surprised with that scope and high rings that the hammer hits the scope. If it touches when just laying there, when you fire it I'd be sure it's not hitting it a little hard. Can't you move the scope enough that it doesn't hit?

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2014, 02:43:52 AM »
I have several that I have bobbed the hammers on so they clear the scope. Most of the time I don't use the extension either, I have no problem cocking it without it.

I wear the mitten style glove that fold back and expose your finger tips, they let me have better feel of the hammer and trigger when hunting in cold weather. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline alank2

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2014, 04:07:48 AM »
Well, the very final edge of the hammer does scratch the bottom of the scope just that little bit.  Enough to make a small aluminum line.  The spur is not hitting though.  The hammer is absolutely fully forward though.  Do you guys think I should take a file to the hammer just to knock down that final knub sticking up?