Author Topic: For those with Wolf problems  (Read 939 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
For those with Wolf problems
« on: February 20, 2014, 03:19:21 AM »
Yes, I know this belongs in another forum.  But I am posting it here for the information of those who lost dogs recently to Wolves.  And for those who are having trouble with Wolves in their area, that only frequent this forum.

Pete:  Sorry to hear about your Beagles. 

Forget about those latest, greatest, whiz-bang, cartridges.  Put away your .223s, and .243s, just not enough energy.  I'd even put away the 30-06s, too much recoil, and too loud.  Go with something tried and true, by professional Wolf Hunters.  Also don't think like a flat lander.  Don't think about "A Wolf".  Shooting a wolf does not solve the problem, there is usually four of five left that will continue to be a problem.  Think the whole pack.

25-06, enough energy to get the job done, and I mean done.  Smaller rifles and they will run half way to the next county.  Oh yes there is that guy who may have hit one with a .22 Hornet and dropped it in it's tracks, and now swears by the .22 Hornet.  (I often wonder about the truth to stories like these)  But that is not normal.  Oh I've killed them at close range with a .17Hornet, but that was just a Hail Mary shot, that worked.  25-06 has enough velocity to reach out and touch something with authority.  When I shoot a Wolf I don't want that animal running off, where I have to go out after it.  I want it dead near where it was when I hit it.  And at $250.00 to $400.00 a pelt, I don't want to lose one either.

Seldom will you get a close shot at a Wolf, my average shot is 200 to 400 yards.  Also once a Wolf has been shot at and missed, over bait, or a dead animal it has killed, it will not come back.  It will turn into a hot meal eater.  Meaning it sill only kill, and eat, meat it has killed itself.  When ever it gets hungry it will not return to an old kill.  It will kill something fresh.  Also if someone puts poison in a kill and it makes the wolf sick, again it will never return and eat off an old kill site.  We have a lot of Wolves that only eat "Hot Meal"s.     
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline spruce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: For those with Wolf problems
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 03:33:55 AM »
Good advice for those shooting wolves where it's LEGAL.

Choice of guns is far different if the object is to have them run off and die far away from where they are shot!
Never tried it, but I've heard a .22 magnum in the guts will accomplish that.  Not a humane way to do it, but sometimes people have to do things they wouldn't ordinarily do.

Offline Catshooter45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 03:46:26 AM »
Sourdough,

Based on your adventures with the 25-06 that I have enjoyed here over the years I finally bought a Handi ejector barrel in that caliber.  Haven't used it yet but I expect to this summer.  Thanks.

Cat

Offline Westbound

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 07:03:40 AM »
We don't have any wolves in Texas, thank goodness.  This winter our coyotes seemed to do very well.  The neighbor and I spooked up a couple last weekend.  The bigger of the two probably went 70 lbs or better. Probably some domestic dog in his genetics.  Generally I carry a 22 in the woods, but since I saw that fellow, I've switched over to my 25.06 or my .270.  Probably overkill for an animal of that size, but I won't take a chance with any canine of that size!

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 07:42:12 AM »
  Geeeeeze, i hope all of us, who have killed "numerous" pesky 4 leggers with 22 mags., don't have them all come back to life!!!

There's NOT even one wolf on this planet that I can't kill, even at 3 or 400 yards with my .243!  200 yards with a .223 is MORE than doable!!

When did wolves start growing the armour plate???   :o

DM

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 09:06:00 AM »
our coyote population is very healthy

our wolf population is very healthy

our deer/moose/elk populations are down (deer dramatically) and the wolves are moving south.

I've seen several in the last two years, a couple inside city limits.

5 years ago, while hunting elk, we met a predator control officer, hired to kill wolves near a large bovine herd.  He had seen in his 2 weeks before we got there, 5 separate groups, totalling around 50 animals, all within 5 miles of where we were hunting.

ours are not very large, about 2/3 the size of the Arctic wolves.

Offline Larry in SD

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 09:22:17 AM »
People have seen Wolves in my part of the world but it is not normal. However we do have Coyotes.

Just this past weekend I ventured out to west central ND to hunt with my daughter and son in law. Only managed to kill one coyote. It was at 343 yards (lasered) under the full moon with my 16" .223. The 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip did the deed in fine fashion but I am thinking for a canine  much bigger I would have wished I had my new .25-06 Ultra Rifle with me. Yes I am planning on using my new to me .25-06 Ultra Rifle on Coyotes. Hopefully we have snow cover the next full moon so I can try it out.

Larry

Offline cudatruck

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 05:00:39 PM »
hey Roger, will that .25-06 still work ok after Pete hacksaws the barrel down to 16"?  We all know how he is with the short barrels. I'd actually like to see him do it so we can all learn how it works out.

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 07:47:28 PM »
Cuda I have a circumsised 25-06 it shoots very well as a  matter of fact it one of my most accurate Handis.I shoot 117 grain Federal red box in it . Longest shot was a deer that was wounded by another hunter I finished it off around 400 yards when it finally stopped running.Dropped in its tracks.
George
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 12:58:01 AM »
Ought to be pretty easy to calc the reduced velo for any caliber and use the drop (or my favorite, the mid-range trajectory tables) for the velocity and bullet.
Im sure a 25-06 x 16 1/2" Handi will still be flatter than a 45-70 hot loaded  :-X .
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 01:11:14 AM »
cuda, so that's why they call him short Peter ;D

I just thought he wasn't very tall ::)

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 01:14:56 AM »
Didnt they use to call him 'Two Gun'?
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974