Author Topic: Distance between barrel pivot pin and breech face?  (Read 921 times)

Offline jkpq45

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Distance between barrel pivot pin and breech face?
« on: February 21, 2014, 02:27:08 AM »
Can someone with a handi rifle "handy" please measure the distance between the barrel pivot pin and breech face?

I searched the FAQs and couldn't find it.

Understand it'll vary a bit, just looking for a ballpark within a 0.005 or so.

Thanks!
jkpq45

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: Distance between barrel pivot pin and breech face?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 04:36:47 AM »
From the outer tangent of the pin to the breech face as measured with a digital caliper is 2.958".  The pin is 0.375" and that makes the clear dimension 2.583".  8)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 04:42:36 AM »
From my experience that measurement varies with the age of the gun.  My older guns have a wider space, whereas my newer guns are not as wide and seem more uniform, as most times newer barrels fit the newer frame without fitting.

BW

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 06:38:25 AM »
What are you trying the determine?
If it is to 'get close' for another barrel fit close is all you will get short of putting it on your frame. And close only counts, as they say, in hand grenades and horseshoes.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline northkid

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 07:28:49 AM »
The correct way would be to use a dowel pin on the center of the pivot all the way to the breach face with, like using depths mic or height gage.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 08:12:20 AM »
Well, every pin will be different from gun to gun anyway.  I just checked again and all measurements were within .002, so I think it should fall into his accuracy range.  ;)  It's really no different than measuring a hole depth with a caliper using the stem at the bottom of the gauge, then subtracting the pin size. 
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline jkpq45

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 02:08:29 AM »
What are you trying the determine?

I had a wild idea about how to make a barrel stub that would allow me to screw in takeoff barrels from other popular rifles without having to rethread the takeoffs every time.

Unfortunately, even the longest existing threaded barrel shanks (Sav 110) are about half as long as they need to be; so, no way to headspace them on a ~3" deep stub (damn.)

Back to the drawing board....

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 11:01:51 AM »
ETA: I didn't read fully your post... you don't want to have to touch the new barrel.

will have to rethink this

would deepening the chamber be an option, or do you want "Drop In"???

I have an idea using shims.... 

Offline jkpq45

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 12:51:12 AM »
would deepening the chamber be an option, or do you want "Drop In" ???

Deepening the chamber is typically an option, no problem.  Would love to have a drop in but understand there are potentially some compromises to be made.

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 11:46:35 AM »
here is what I'm thinking, using a donor barrel with a lot of meat...

ream the stub at 1.055 (just a hair larger than the savage barrel, so it drops in a ways before hitting threads)  to 1.5", then step the diameter down to the minor diameter of the savage barrel, and take that deep to ALMOST the extractor groove.

thread the smaller diameter to the savage threads.

then when you screw the barrel in, take it down to the ring you left at the base.  open that ring up to be just larger then your cartridge base.

most rifles leave the case head unsupported anyways, so this should pose no problems.

screw the barrel in, and set headspace by either deepening the chamber, or if too deep already, taking off some of the breech end of the barrel until you have it where you want it.

snug it to a good hand tight, and index mark it underneath.  that way, you can put sights on it if you want.

a scope mounted on the barrel would probably hold zero, but on the stub, may need to be rezero'd.

does this make any sense?

Offline jkpq45

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 10:01:49 PM »
does this make any sense?

Sure does.  What's the OD of a typical handi barrel?  I know I could get the job done with an USH setup but want to see if I can make this happen with my current selection of SB2s.