Author Topic: Hornet load data: What powders are you all using?  (Read 937 times)

Offline JB Weld

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
  • Fix anything from brokn heart to the crack of dawn
Hornet load data: What powders are you all using?
« on: February 21, 2014, 11:52:02 AM »
Well, I have been trying to find some Lil'Gun (locally) to no avail. As a matter of fact, I cannot find any of the Hornet powders listed in my Hornady manual (8th edition).  I have read a bunch of stuff on the web about loading for the Hornet, but I would really like to stick to published loads or at least first hand knowledge from our members.

I did read a very interesting article where the author got some of his best groups with Scotts 4100, but it was out of a silhouette pistol with a 10" barrel. I know I cannot use his load data. It is a good read though, so here is the link: http://www.lasc.us/rangingshot22hornet.htm

I am shooting a NEF Handi Rifle and I want to load 40gr Vmax and 50gr Vmax (those are the bullets I can find).

So...what powders are you guys using to load your Hornets?

"Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. Captain, that is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."  ~Stonewall Jackson~  24 July 1861

Sappers Forward - 12BP

Offline okie44

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Hornet load data: What powders are you all using?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 12:01:19 PM »
Check Hodgdon's site, H4198 is listed. I have only used Lil Gun
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 12:49:24 PM »
i don't have or load a hornet,
but i do use a lot of 2400 powder
and know it was originated for
the hornet. you might try it
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Larry L

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 01:04:51 PM »
I load for 4 Hornets. I use H110 in all of them. If you are loading for a Ruger #1-3, you can exceed max loads by quite a lot before you'll start seeing any primer issues. Any other rifle, you need to stay with the lower pressure data. There should be a lot of H110 data on the net and in almost any manual.

Offline JB Weld

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 10:08:11 AM »
Yes. H110 is in my manual.
The problem is I cannot find it on the shelf.
"Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. Captain, that is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."  ~Stonewall Jackson~  24 July 1861

Sappers Forward - 12BP

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 10:30:40 AM »
2400 will work OK, but for my money, IMR 4227 works best. I use 11 gr under 34 gr HP, and 9.5 gr under 50 gr PSP. I find for my purposes small rifle primers are more accurate for me.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 07:39:34 PM »
aa1680 was allways my favorite hornet powder
blue lives matter

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 08:29:46 AM »
I used to always use 2400 but it's a bit sensitive and you have to work up slowly.  I had bad experiences with H110 in my revolvers so I don't buy it any more.  I've been using Lil'gun but I don't like how fast my rifles heat up and how hot they get.  It's not at all acceptable for a varmint rifle.

After I use up all the rounds I have loaded with Lil'gun, I'm going back to 2400.  I can live with the level of performance I get with it.  I've also tried RL7 and it's way to slow for the Hornet or K-Hornet.

Tony

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 09:18:14 AM »
4198 is a LONG time favorite, but 2400, H110, 296 and Lil'Gun all can work very well too.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline JB Weld

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 11:54:44 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys!

Do any of you load "plinking loads" with cast boolits in your Hornets? If so, what powders are you using in those loads?

I shoot cast out of my Marlin 336s using Trail Boss, but I cannot see myself stuffing a Hornet case with Trail Boss. :)

Sappers Forward - 12BP