Author Topic: Which 223 barrel/handi to choose  (Read 549 times)

Offline jdr99a

• Trade Count: (0)
Which 223 barrel/handi to choose
« on: February 23, 2014, 09:52:11 PM »
I started a thread a week or so ago about building a 'survival' handi. Simply a fun project to waste a bit of time and money on. (See thread HERE) The original thread got derailed a bit by some off-topic talk, so I decided to start a new thread to get some more opinions.

After bouncing the idea back and forth, I have decided that a 223 barrel is the one to get for this project. The main reason: I've got a TON of 223 ammo and only one gun to shoot it all out of. It's an AR15 and, while they certainly have their place, they aren't as fun for me to shoot as a single shot or bolt action.

That being said I want to know your opinion on the best 223 barrel available from H&R for my purposes. It seems like my options are the superlight/compact model, the 22" bull barrel, or the standard 24" model. I am pretty sure I don't want the bull as it would be a bit too heavy to carry all day.

I have read about some accuracy issues with the lighter barrels after they heat up. While I don't plan on going rapid fire with this thing, I don't really want to wait several minutes between shots either. Plus the fact that the majority of time I am shooting it is summertime and HOT (100+ is common) won't help with the barrel heat issue at all.

I would also like to have the barrel cut to ~16-18 inches or so - for a super-compact, light, and 'handi' rifle. Would one of these barrels excel in this area?

Another big thing would be the availability of adding sights to the barrel (assuming I don't go with the compact barrel as open sights are included). While a scope will be my primary optical choice, the ability to have open sights if needed would be a huge plus. I have no idea of where to begin with open sights if I go with a model that does not come with them. I am assuming a gunsmith can add sights similar to the ones that come on open-sighted handis or even a Ruger 10/22 style flip sight and front post...but I may be assuming too much. I do plan on having detachable rings on my scope...do they make detachable rear sights that return to a good zero? Not sure about this as I am a bit out of my league on this kind of thing.

Your help would be appreciated.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: Which 223 barrel/handi to choose
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 07:51:15 AM »
If you are going to cut the bull down to 16.5, it'd be pretty manageable for weight.  My .223 bull let me shoot 30 or so and no issues with heat.  The superlite I've switched to for my type of shooting though is still 1/2 the weight.  Mine's the Youth 20" superlite.  If I shoot 2x back to back, they stay good, but the 3rd wanders, but is consistently about 1.25" high on 3rd shot.  I'm thinking that especially in 100+ heat the bull would work better for you.  The weight difference is quite obvious though and there's no nose heaviness with my superlite, and the bull almost required a rest.  If cut to 16.5, it'd be better though.  ;)

As for sights, there's enough meat on the bull that you could easily have someone drill and tap it for a front and a rear sight.  Lyman makes a nice folding sight that is pretty accurate and that combined with a Williams or Marbles red fiberoptic would be a good way to go.  8)

Williams shortest ramp firesight is .410".  -  see Item #70105 below.
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/rifle.htm

Skinner's barrel mount would be good for the rear sight.  Then you can just pop your scope off and be ready to go.
http://www.skinnersights.com/barrel_mount_6.html
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 08:55:53 AM »
We have 4 Superlight rifles, two 7mm-08s, a .243 and a .223.  I have had no problems from overheating.  The .243 shoots 2.5 inch groups at 300 yards. The 7mm-08 and the .223 are very close to it.  I shot eighteen rounds, three each at six targets at 300 yards with the .243.  All eighteen were within 2.5 inches.   All I did was check the target, reload, reposition and shoot. If you're hunting you're not likely to fire two or three shots back to back.  If you're shooting paper, by the time you check your target, reload and get ready to shoot, the rifle is ready.  I have a Ruger M77 MKII .308 with a barrel that's slimmer than a Superlight, and it punches ten rings shot after shot.  I've shot it till the barrel was almost too hot to hold.

I want a rifle that is dead on when I'm hunting.  I just want one accurate shot.  I haven't experienced it, but I really don't care if it wanders on the third or fourth shot.  Perhaps living in the Frozen North has something to do with it. ::)

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Fred243

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 05:28:17 PM »

The 22 inch barrel is the standard barrel ( lighter barrel ),  the 24 inch is the bull barrel. I have the 24 inch bull barrel on my .243 and really like it, it's very accurate.