Author Topic: I am finally ready to shoot the new to me .25-06  (Read 603 times)

Offline Larry in SD

• Trade Count: (1)
I am finally ready to shoot the new to me .25-06
« on: February 26, 2014, 12:37:25 PM »
Since I didn't have a scope or bullets as yet and wanted Roger (my local gunsmith) to bed the scope mount to the barrel and pillar bed the forend the .25-06 went to Roger's. I filled Roger in on how I wanted it bedded and Roger agreed that would be the best way to start. Roger filled in the hollow spots inside of the synthetic forend between the attachment point and the receiver. He then glassed this area of the stock perfectly to the barrel. From the attachment point forward Roger free floated the rest of the forend. In addition Roger also glassed a steel pillar in the forend for the attachment screw to pass through and seat against the forend stud on the barrel. The forend sits around the forend stud attached to the barrel. Roger didn't like the fit of that so he made a secondary pillar. This pillar sits over the forend stud on the barrel and fits inside of the recess in the  forend. Roger took it a step further and when he drilled the center hole for this secondary pillar to fit over the forend stud attached to the barrel he drilled it off center so as to make a tuner of sorts to vary the amount of pressure the rear of the forend would mate with the front of the receiver with.

Roger finished everything up yesterday and I picked up my .25-06. My scope arrived today, a Weaver Series 40/44 4x12x44mm AO with Weaver's Ballistic X Reticle (which I just mounted this evening.

I did secure 3 boxes of Remington .25-06 Factory Ammo loaded with 120gr. PSP Core Lokt Bullets. This will get me started for now. I do have 100 new Remington .25-06 Brass and a couple boxes of 115gr. Berger Match VLD Hunting Hollow Points but still need to find some Hodgdon Retumbo Powder.

About now you may be asking yourself WHY a H&R Ultra Rifle. Well the reason is simple, I have always had a fondness for break open single shots whether Handgun or Rifle. I like their interchangeable barrel versatility. My plan is to send this receiver in to H&R to be fitted with a 26" .50 Caliber MuzzleLoader Barrel as soon as I save up the $$$. The reason for this is the declining number of deer licenses where I live and after drawing my first choice for the firearms season this past year, next year all I might be able to hope for is a muzzleloader license.

Now if it would warm up and the wind would QUIT I can go shoot my new .25-06 and get it ready for my upcoming Coyote hunt in March with my Daughter.

Larry

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
Re: I am finally ready to shoot the new to me .25-06
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 10:06:37 PM »
Looks very good, should be able to reach out there and touch stuff.
March will be here soon, good luck with your daughter ;)

Offline Zeak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 01:19:12 AM »
Looks good Larry!! Been thinking about doing that to a 7-08 I have. Now I have a good idea how to do it. Have done several bedding jobs on my bolt rifles and have all helped with the accuracy. The wind and the cold is about to get to me also!!  Rod

Offline Larry in SD

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 01:56:00 AM »
Thanks guys.

Roger the local gunsmith that I had do the bedding is a master at bedding and figuring how to bed different guns. That is his speciality. He has done a few bedding jobs for me over the years, a couple T/C Encores and a Ruger K77/22VBZ. All shot much better after he did his magic to them.

Looks like next week it is finally supposed to get up into the teens so I can shoot my .25-06.

Larry