Author Topic: S&W 22A  (Read 1232 times)

Offline nw_hunter

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
S&W 22A
« on: November 21, 2019, 05:20:01 PM »
I recently purchased a S&W 22 A from a friend. I've found as I grow older I'm not the shooter I once was with a handgun,and this target pistol is more accurate for me than any other I've fired in a long time.It's the 5" barrel version. It came with a red dot,but so far I've only shot it with open sights. It's a heavy pistol,but I think that adds to being able to steady it.Just curious if any of you folks have one, and if you find it to be a shooter!
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline gene_225

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: S&W 22A
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 03:23:30 AM »
I sold mine because I never could get it to shoot reliably even after a trip back to S&W. Magazine trouble. Second round wouldn't load.

Offline camsdaddy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 01:48:54 AM »
I have a 22A that I have had since the late 90's. The gun is probably my favorite pistol ever. The gun is accurate and while it may have a failure to fire from time to time I can just shuck another round in and roll on. The gun has thousands and thousands of rounds. The finish wore off and I recoated it with spray bedliner to protect it. The gun has been miles and miles and on numerous adventures. I bought it to shoot armadillos to save money when 9mm was $6/50.

Offline oldandslower

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 07:13:50 AM »
The LGS had one on consignment a couple of years ago that looked new and I bought it. It has been trouble free and is right next to my Ruger MKIV Target in accuracy which means both are very accurate.. In fact it comes with a better trigger than the Ruger but can't quite equal the Volquartson kit in my Ruger. Both wear Burris FF III sights now but the factory sights are about equal and very good. I read about people having jamming and extraction problems with these guns but mine has done neither. Every fail to fire has been with cheap ammo and it was the ammo, not the gun. It seems the recoil buffers are not highly durable so I laid in a supply of those but haven't worn out the one that came with the gun. The only complaint I have is that I find the slide a little difficult to grip and wish there was something like a halo ring available for it. My hand strength has diminished a great deal in the last few years so it's more me than the gun I suppose.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 07:36:00 AM »
I should NOT have traded mine.
It had the best trigger I've felt in a semi-auto and was very accurate.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 08:10:39 AM »
had one but at the same time had a bunch of 22 pistols. I ended up donating it to an auction for a VVA fundraiser to build a new club house. Didnt really shoot it enough to get a handle on it but it seemed like a good gun.
blue lives matter