Author Topic: Behind the Bullet: 10mm Auto  (Read 2834 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Behind the Bullet: 10mm Auto
« on: November 26, 2019, 03:51:00 AM »
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/10/28/behind-the-bullet-10mm-auto/

by Philip Massaro - Friday, October 28, 2016

We are all familiar with U.S. Marine Col. John D. "Jeff" Cooper, his passion for defensive firearms training, and his love for the M1911 in .45ACP. He was the founder of the American Pistol Institute—you may know it by its modern name: Gunsite Academy. At API Col. Cooper taught the skills necessary to defend one’s self, and instilled the appropriate mindset for that defense. Invariably, the good Colonel preferred the .45ACP as the tool for that job. However, as good as the venerable Browning-designed cartridge was, is and shall be, Col. Cooper had a desire for a faster, harder hitting defensive cartridge.

In the early 1980s, Col. Cooper sat at the drawing board to develop a cartridge of suitable diameter, which would drive a 200-grain bullet to a muzzle velocity of 1,200 fps, in deference to the .45ACPs heavy bullet concept, but with a bit more horsepower. What he ended up with—with the help of Whit Collins, John Adams and Irving Stone—would morph into the 10mm Automatic. Released in 1983 in the BrenTen handgun, the 10mm Automatic offered and improvement on the exterior and terminal ballistics of the 9mm Luger and .45ACP. Using a cut off .30 Remington case (a cartridge with .30/30 WCF ballistics, but of different conformation), measuring 0.992” long, the straight-walled design would function like the Luger and .45ACP in that it would headspace off the case mouth, and it would use the .38-40’s .400” diameter bullets.

Fast forward three years, in Miami, Florida. Two bank robbers, William Russell Matix and Michael Lee Platt were in a shootout with eight FBI agents, and despite being outnumbered, they were winning. Using a 12-gauge shotgun, a .357 revolver and a Ruger Mini-14 rifle, the robbers had held off the FBI for over five minutes, killing two agents, and subsequently dying for their efforts. A long investigation followed, and the FBI laid a portion of the blame for the fiasco on the 9mm Luger and .38 Special sidearms that the agents were carrying. The Bureau determined that these calibers had exhibited a lack of stopping power, and the hunt was on to arm FBI agents with a semi-automatic pistol (the difficulty of reloading a revolver in a fire fight was an issue in this case as well) of suitable caliber to stop an armed opponent, at distances greater than the .45 ACP could.

The FBI ordered 10,000 Smith & Wesson Model 1076 pistols, with a 4¼" barrel chambered in 10mm Auto, for issuance to their agents, but the order was cancelled when the recoil of the Big 10 proved to be too much for some agents to handle effectively. The ammunition was down-loaded, leaving a substantial airspace, and while the terminal ballistics of the lighter load was acceptable to the FBI, Smith & Wesson decided to shorten the case, resulting in the .40 S&W we all know so well. And, it seemed as though the 10mm would be headed for obscurity.

In spite of being forced to take a serious back seat to the .40 Smith & Wesson (which many 10mm devotees refer as the .40 Short & Weak), and the fact that very few modern pistols are being chambered for the 10mm Auto, it has made a bit of a comeback as a hunting round. Guys like Ted Nugent and Razor Dobbs have championed the 10, taking game up to the size of elk with it, and singing the praises of the cartridge in the hunting fields. It approaches the power of the .41 Rem. Mag., but in an autoloader. Federal, Remington, Winchester, Hornady and other boutique companies make 10mm Auto ammunition, loaded with good bullets that are suitable for both hunting and for self-defense as well. Federal Premium’s Trophy Bonded 180-grain bullet at 1,275 fps would make for an excellent deer or hog, as would the Hornady 180-grain XTP at 1,180 fps. It’s obvious that distances will be on the shorter side of life, due to the limitations of barrel length and sighting radius, so with the higher impact velocities you’ll want a stout bullet to guarantee good penetration. DoubleTap and Buffalo Bore offer heavy-for-caliber hard cast lead bullets, at 220 and 230 grains moving along at just about 1,100 fps.

If you like the way a full-sized frame shoots, but want a bit more power than the .45 ACP has to offer, wrap your hands around the Big 10, and you may find the handgun experience you’ve been looking for.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
Re: Behind the Bullet: 10mm Auto
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 08:04:28 AM »
Just saw this. I am surprised that no one has posted in the months that the post has been available.
I have been considering a 10mm for a couple of years. It is one of the cartridges that I have yet to load. The attached article has me thinking again. I have tried some alternatives…the .45 Super and the 400 CorBon (135 gr. @ 1500fps comparable to the 10mm.) I like them both. The 400 is a pain to form and load but quite Zippy when it is loaded and fired. The Super is the easy way, buy the brass (not easy nowadays) load em up, change your recoil spring and you are good to go……a 230 grain bullet at 1200+ fps…comparable to the 10mm.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 10:21:32 PM »
The 10 mm has become increasingly popular as a bear deterrent handgun in Alaska. I see more and more fishing guides carrying them. They come in relatively light gun moderate cost (well used to be), fast into action and often many more shots than a revolver.  They are often much lighter than a revolver.  While not a potent as a 44 mag, I think the fishing guides like having the multiple shots  in a more compact firearm.  I have never heard of a bear, brown bear, being shot with a 10mm in a defensive situation. I have no knowledge of effectiveness vs the big revolvers. I do know of an instance near my community where a guy dumped a good size brown with a single chest shot using 44 mag (Corbon? I think) ammo. Bullet penetrated to the spine at about 8 feet. The story was posted on the Old Greabeard years ago.  I got the full story from the shooter. 
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 01:47:56 AM »
Shot a couple. Don't care for'em. Carried a 629 Smith for a while with 44 Specials.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett
Dumb Dumb x 1 View List

Offline Casull

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 10:27:14 AM »
Shot a couple. Don't care for'em. Carried a 629 Smith for a while with 44 Specials.

What didn't you like about them Dee?  I've been thinking about one.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Dee

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 10:58:57 AM »
Have you ever shot 45acp in a revolver? If you have, you realized what a mild load the standard 45acp really is, and the same round in a 1911 gives the illusion of recoil, when it's really the stop of the slide at the back of the cycle.

The 10mm in a 1911 requires a much stouter slide spring, and the cycle is more violent  slowing down recovery for the next shot. The FBI found this out when they tried it go to it.

I've never been much of a hunter with pistols other than small game, as my business was law enforcement, and a pistol had to be reliable, and controllable, but needed the power to stop, but not be too much.

A 44 magnum is notoriously famous for NOT shedding its energy inside the human body, but out the other side. The 10mm isn't that much different for my purposes.

So I guess it depends on what you intend to use it for.

My all time preference is the 357 magnum AND the 125 grain SEMI jacketed hollow point. At around 1550 to 1600fps it dumps most of its energy within about 16 inches of tissue.

The 10mm is a good round depending on what you're thinking of using it for.  The 40 S&W is a more easily controlled round, and a good stopper, and cheaper,  and easier to find.

But we're talking about my needs and I carry a pistol strictly based on fighting.

Your reasons likely are different.

The 10mm intimidates a lotta folks and can cause some bad habits. Your probably not one of those, but I dont consider it a fighting caliber if that's your interest in it.
Dumb Dumb x 1 View List

Offline Casull

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 11:15:04 AM »
Thanks Dee.  That makes much sense.  I've considered it not for self defense purposes, but for hunting.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Dee

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 11:40:51 AM »
It would likely serve you well it has the power and penatration. I limit my pistol huntin to rabbits and squirrels, and an occasional rattler with my little Browning 22.
Works good on cats to. 8)
Dumb Dumb x 1 View List

Offline nw_hunter

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2022, 10:35:35 AM »
In my younger days, I hunted some with Revolvers, but as and old geezer, my skill level makes it impossible. Out past SD ranges, I'm too shaky to make a kill shot. Here in Oregon we have Black Bear and Cougar as the only predator that could possibly pose a threat. I feel safe with my 22 pistol on a woods carry. A rattler could be a problem. That lil 22 would blow the lungs out of them :o Sometimes I carry my stubby 38 Special. Its light, and packs enough power with FMJ flat tip rounds. Or may pack a 9mm. Either will fill the bill. If I lived in AK, or in one of the lower 48 Griz states, I might prefer a 44 mag or 10 mm. The less recoil in a hand gun the faster back on target. Like Dee, I'm thinking the recoil from the 10mm would be considerable, and would take longer to reposition for the next shot.
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline Steve E

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2022, 09:04:48 AM »
Love the 10mm and the 44 mag, I have and had both. Right now I have a Ruger 1911 10mm and a Delta Elite, (like shooting the Ruger more), had an 1911 Auto Ordnance 10mm, Wyoming Arms 10mm and a Blackhawk in 10mm. In 44 mag I still have a Blackhawk, Encore pistol barrel, Desert Eagle and Rossi M92. About 4 years ago I had a 629 S&W. The subject came up between a group of us idiots about which to carry in Bear country, one of the idiots was going to Alaska to visit Family and fly fish (still don't see the fun in catching flies). Five of us met in my backyard and shot the Delta Elite, Blackhawk (44 mag) and 629. In informal back to back shooting almost everyone shot the Delta Elite the fastest followed by the 629 and lastly the Blackhawk, one guy didn't shoot anything fast. To make it 'sorta' more even all rounds were Factory 180 gr rounds.
I regularly carry the 10mm Ruger 1911 in a chest holster when out in the woods and riding the 4 wheeler or side x side. There have been documented sightings of Mountain Lion , Black Bear and wild pigs within 1 to 2 miles from my house in the last 5 years.

Steve..........
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2022, 11:39:41 PM »
Im with dee. I have a 29 and a 20 glock. I rarely shoot them and when i do there usually downloaded to 40 ballistics. Full power loads there kind of obnoxious. I can live with the recoil but the muzzle blast is like a hot 357. I dont go into bear country unless you count black bear which we have alot of. People that carrry because theres black bear in the area are just reaching for a way to feel like there in danger. I grew up with them in the back yard at mas house and there in my back yard every year where i live now. The UP has lots of black bear in this county has more then anywhere up here and ive yet to hear of anyone attacked or even a dog being attacked unless it was a huntiing dog running bear. Now i get more nervous about the wolves. If I was to go into big bear (grizzly brown) areas id sure as heck take a 44 mag over a 10mm any (censored word) day. Some will say "I get 10 shots with my 29 glock) well show me a bear attack that lasted long enough to get 10 shots in. Most of them end one way or another in seconds and one and MAYBE two shots will be fired.

Buddy and i were just talking about it yesterday. He has a 29 and a 20 too and also has my old 3" 610 smith that id dearly love to have back. He shoots more in a month than i do in a year and said his 20 and 29 for the most part collect dust too. His wife carried the 29 for a while doing chores are there place. He has horses a few cows and chickens ducks ect and the bear are always around there and even though theyve ran every time theyve seen her for the last 20 years she gets nervous. But she just switched to a glock 23 because it just easier for her to shoot accurately. Ill probably keep mine. But if i had to pick one glock out of my safe if i truely was worried about beat it would be my 30sf. It holds 10 rounds of 45acp. Its as small as my 26,27 and 29 and much more pleasant to shoot then the 27 and surely the 29. I keep my 10mm glocks because im down to 10 glocks and dont want to go lower :o Seriously the main reason is if it gets to the point i shoot up all my 9 and 40 ammo im about screwed because i cant find small pistol primers and have a crap pile of large pistol so they just might end up someday being my down loaded plinking guns because they use larger primers. but im just fooling myself because ive got enough 9 and 40 ammo that i could shoot twice a week for the rest of my life and not run out. To me the 10 is like a 41 mag. Its an answer to a question that never existed.
blue lives matter

Offline Steve E

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2022, 07:26:49 AM »
Lloyd

I know what you mean about that concussion, worse I have had was my 4 inch 357 mag with factory 125 gr jhp bullets, even in bright sunshine you could still see the fireball. Full house loads in my 10 mm's don't have that much concussion and aren't that bad to shoot. The only bear I have seen around here myself was about 100 yds away on the gas pipeline and he took off like a rocket, don't know if he smelled me or saw me. What I'm more worried about around here are the pigs, at least 2 people I know have been charged in the 405 acre patch of woods behind my house. Also there have been meth labs found in this county. I shoot my 10mm's faster on targets than my 44 mag revolvers (especially the Blackhawk, LOL). As the old saying goes 'that's why they makes Fords and Chevys'. You carry what you can shoot the best, I do. Everyday carry in dress pants or such is an entirely different matter.

Steve........
GOA Life Member

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2022, 08:09:09 AM »
steve i dont own a pair of dress pants. Closest thing is my newest jeans or a pair of brown carhart pants. I can vouch for your bear experiece. We have LOTS of black bear here and 99 precent of the time you see them all you see is a flash of there ass running away. I dont know a single guy around here thats faced one down other then dog hunters that tree them. Pigs are different. Ive had them run at me a number of times but i still dont know if they wanted my  ass or just coudnt see well enough to know i was there. Stood in front of some brush one day and my buddy jumped on top of it to see if he could chance anything out. About a 150 lb pig came out so fast that i couldnt get the sights on it and it ran right between my legs and kept on going. I will admit it was a bit of heart exercise. Dont get me wrong here. Im not bashing the 10. Personaly i think its more effective on deer and pig then the 357 is. Like you said whatever floats your boat. Its just not to me anyway the cult caliber some want to make it out to be and ill be dammed if id carry one as bear protection in brown or grizzly territory. For that ill take my 500 or 475 linebaughs and those only to give me time to get to my rifle. Got to have a screw loose to trust your life or someone your guiding big bear to a 10mm.
blue lives matter

Offline Steve E

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2022, 08:12:59 AM »
Definitely want something bigger in Brown or Grizzly territory. I read an article years ago and the outfitter the author was hunting with would dispatch Mountain Lions with a 22 mag. Maybe head shots only.

Steve............
GOA Life Member

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2022, 10:42:55 AM »
My bear country gun is a S&W Model 69 in .44 magnum with 4.2" barrel. Now mine you I've never been in grizzly bear country and don't imagine I ever will be and am not even in black bear country. Still I have a bear handgun just in case one ever drops by to visit me.

I found out a good long while back that this is NOT a gun I want to shoot .44 magnum real full magnum loads in. So I only shoot .44 special loads, most 250 cast Keith bullets at around 950-1000 fps. Those are pleasant to shoot and should penetrate about end to end on a bear I'd think.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2022, 12:11:28 AM »

yup bill you know me. Im a big bore addict and have shot all the big ones and owned many but i will admit right here that full power ammo out of a 4 inch 29 isnt fun plinking. They get me right in the web between my thumb and pointer finger. Wana real treat? Shoot them out of a 329. Ive shot and owned big bores up to the 500 linebaugh and two of my 500s were 4inch but that said the two worse recoiling handguns ive shot are my 396 3in inch scandium 44 special. With a 250 ahead of 18 grains of 2400 it would draw blood about every time i shot it. Worse though was the buddys 44 mag bond derringer. He handed it to me one day loaded with a 300 cast and 22 grains of 110. About like lighting a stick of dynomite off in your hand. I shot it once and started to hand it back to him and he said you pussy finiish the job. I said where skirt i will gladly wear it. He slowed down alot lately but id bet theres not a man in this country that has absorbed more handgun recoil then him. If you doubt it ask John Linebaugh about AL. They been best of freinds for 30 years. I still have two 4 inch 44s a 29 and a 629 and love them but like you they see keith level ammo If i want to shoot full power i do it in a super blackhawk or better yet a bisley super.

By the way Bill Al and I went out to our buddys to take our yearly bison years ago. One of our buddys out west designed a mold for the 500 linebaughs that was a huge hp cavity. We both went loaded with them to see how they opened up. Well they sure opened up. We got between 8 inchs and a foot of penetration and chased those two buffalo all over hell before we put them down. Only other gun other then ccw guns we had there was my  696 smith. its the stainless version of that 396 and its a great little gun. We both put our bison down with that gun using a 250 keith with 17 grains of 2400. His was shot at an angle right behind the shoulder and came out right ahead of the hind quarter. Buffalo went about 25 yards and pilled up dead. Mine was shot at the same angle but was more head on and i shot it right in the front shoulder. I broke the shoulder bone and we found it right up against the upper rear leg which was also broke. Were talking a good 5-6 feet of penetration AFTER breaking a bone on the front shoulder. We were both real impressed with that 44 but never again loaded those hp 500s. We recovered them and they looked like 50 cent peice sized flattened lead coins. Might have worked on a deer but who needs a hp 50 cal bullet on a deer.
blue lives matter

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2022, 03:56:04 PM »
My M69 weights 37 ounces and that's plenty light enough for me. Those scandium guns are even lighter by several ounces. I really like the M69 but not for magnum loads.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2022, 12:36:56 AM »
that 396 weighted 17 onces. When you picked it up it felt like a toy gun. I dont buy many revolvers anymore because im pretty flush with them and have enough but ive always wanted a 69 ever since they came out. Problem is smith has become VERY proud of there guns and i just cant justify the big bucks they want anymore
My M69 weights 37 ounces and that's plenty light enough for me. Those scandium guns are even lighter by several ounces. I really like the M69 but not for magnum loads.
blue lives matter

Offline Steve E

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2022, 04:47:07 AM »
Not meaning to get off the 10mm theme but that is a cool Buffalo story, one of my dream hunts would be to do a horseback Buffalo hunt with my Sharps and my reloads, I have a great load with a 500 gr Postell bullet and 5744 powder. When I lived in Hawaii my Customs Agent buddy would go Deer hunting on Moloka'i. His hunt consisted in riding around the Ranch in an old beat up truck until the 'guide' say a decent Axis Deer and stopped and said shoot that one. Not my kind of hunt, more like a shoot. I shot one of the cheaper derringers in 357 mag one time and that was enough for me.

Steve........
GOA Life Member

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2022, 06:10:32 AM »
it got that way with us and buffalo at the end We got them for a grand and got 500lbs of meat so it was only 2 bucks a lb and even burger in the store was that much then. I became less of a hunt every year and turned into a shoot. Last one the buddys neck was in bad shape and we drove my jeep tj in and drove around till we found to good fat cows and shot them right out of the jeep. Drove right up to them and shot them in the head. It was another buddys game farm and we were beyond pretending it was a real hunt. Its like his pigs. He had a brochure for the dumb assed that made it seem like youd be facing down a grizzly bear. We shot a stag one day and were trying to gut it and had about 15 pigs all around us trying to get at those guts first. I had to boot them in the ass to get them out of there and theyd go 10 feet and turn around and come back. Absolutely amazing how fast a few pigs will clean up a gut pile and i mean so clean you have to really look to find blood. Heard for years about people getting murdered and tossed inthe pig pen. After that i surely believed it. Theyd eat you bone and all in a matter of minutes.
Not meaning to get off the 10mm theme but that is a cool Buffalo story, one of my dream hunts would be to do a horseback Buffalo hunt with my Sharps and my reloads, I have a great load with a 500 gr Postell bullet and 5744 powder. When I lived in Hawaii my Customs Agent buddy would go Deer hunting on Moloka'i. His hunt consisted in riding around the Ranch in an old beat up truck until the 'guide' say a decent Axis Deer and stopped and said shoot that one. Not my kind of hunt, more like a shoot. I shot one of the cheaper derringers in 357 mag one time and that was enough for me.

Steve........
blue lives matter

Offline Steve E

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2022, 10:29:53 AM »
Unfortunately time has a way of doing that to us all. When I was growing up back in Mississippi on our farm if something got killed such as a chicken got ran over or something like that it was thrown in the hog pen and the fight was on between the pigs. When my uncles goat got out in the road and was ran over he threw it in the pen and it was completely gone in slightly less than 30 minutes, hooves, horns and teeth and all. I well remember my Daddy telling us to make sure we never fell down in the hog pen.

Steve............
GOA Life Member