Author Topic: Gas prices  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Squirrelsaurus Rex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Gas prices
« on: February 26, 2004, 09:18:07 AM »
Are you guys in other parts of the country being gouged again too?  Here in the east bay (San Francisco Bay area), I'm paying $2.18 for regular.  Premium is $2.38.  Over in San Francisco I hear it's around $2.50 for regular.  Take out a second mortgage on the house if you want full-serve.  Is there some big crisis going on that I haven't heard about?  What's causing it this time?

Any of you guys want to place bets on when some politician will proclaim the start of yet another investigation into the rising prices?  Seems like every time this happens, some seat-polisher in Washington announces the start of a big investigation into the skyrocketing gas prices.  Then you never hear another word about it.

Until the next big 'investigation'. :roll:
Squooshy... the other white meat.

Offline SBF

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.members.cox.net/cruffler
Gas prices
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 10:14:12 AM »
It's anywhere fron $1.50 to $1.75 a gallon around my neck of the woods in NE Ohio.
SmallBoreFreak and Cruffler

Offline U.K.Neil

Gas prices
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 11:05:41 AM »
$6.35 over here, but our gallon is slightly larger than yours, about 12% larger, that's all.

:(  :( :evil:  :evil:

By the way, one packet of 20 cigarettes costs $8.93
Keep Smiling.

Offline Red Neck64

• Avid Poster
Gas prices
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 12:15:12 PM »
Quote from: U.K.Neil
$6.35 over here, but our gallon is slightly larger than yours, about 12% larger, that's all.

Cigarettes should cost $8,930 a pack.But gas at $6.35 no thats war.

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
Gas prices
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 12:21:55 PM »
$1.51 a gallon regular unleaded at Racetrac, cigarettes are $2.99 a pack.
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Gas prices
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 12:29:58 PM »
Don't have a clue about the price of tobacco products, never bought any. Never will.

But gas is running in the $1.50-$1.60 range here.

Any of you old enough to remember paying less than a quarter a gallon? I've paid in the low twenty cent range that I remember. Don't recall ever paying less than twenty cents.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dali Llama

Re: Gas prices
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 12:31:58 PM »
Quote from: Squirrelsaurus Rex
Seems like every time this happens, some seat-polisher in Washington announces the start of a big investigation into the skyrocketing gas prices.  
Should that be taken to mean that Squirrelsaurus Rex think there should be no inquiry into why gasoline prices presently so exorbitant, ask Dali Llama? :?
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline clodbuster

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Gas and cigs (fags to you Neil)
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 12:40:15 PM »
I had a new 71 Vega that I never needed $4.00 worth of gas in to fill it.
guess that was 23 cents a gallon in the day.  Cigs ( gave em up in '77) were 23 cents a pack in the army PX around that time.  Neil, your gallon is equal to 5 of our quarts.  I lived in Bury St Edmunds in 91-93 and thought $4 gas was too high then, but loved the 20 ounce pints of Green King at our local pub the "Flying Fortress".
Preserve the Loess Hills!!!

Offline ernon

Gas prices
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 12:52:04 PM »
Quote from: Graybeard
Don't have a clue about the price of tobacco products, never bought any. Never will.

But gas is running in the $1.50-$1.60 range here.

Any of you old enough to remember paying less than a quarter a gallon? I've paid in the low twenty cent range that I remember. Don't recall ever paying less than twenty cents.

GB

Yep, .20 - .25/gallon during the gas war days, when intersections had a station on every corner. They also used to give stuff away like one place setting of Stainlessware per fill up, in addition to either Green Stamps or Blue Chip stamps and 3 guys servicing your car; filling it up, cleaning all the windows, and checking the fluid levels and tire pressure.

Wow, hadn't been down that memory lane in a long time. :-)

I'm in the SF Bay Area so it's $2.00 + now like others have said.

Ernon

Offline Dali Llama

Gas prices
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2004, 12:58:20 PM »
Quote from: ernon
Wow, hadn't been down that memory lane in a long time. :-)

Dali Llama say that, unfortunately :( , he seriously doubt if any of us see those times again. :(  :(

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2004, 01:53:52 PM »
Quote from: Dali Llama
Should that be taken to mean that Squirrelsaurus Rex think there should be no inquiry into why gasoline prices presently so exorbitant, ask Dali Llama? :?

That's exactly my point.  There should be an inquiry.  But every time they announce a new investigation, nothing ever comes of it.  I guess the gas/oil companies are paying off the politicians to keep quiet.  So the oil companies profit, the politicians profit, and the American people foot the bill.

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
Gas prices
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2004, 02:57:01 PM »
IT'S THE LIBERAL WAY. I've always said the american people are the biggest suckers ever born. :shock:
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline tubbythetuba

• Avid Poster
Gas prices
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2004, 03:37:47 PM »
I'll tell ya exactly why it's going up; Election year.  Every cent the gas goes up is a cent that counteracts the tax cut. The cuts are working well enough that the A-rabs and Dems are worried...neither want Bush elected again...ergo sum........high gas prices... ANYTHING TO MESS UP THE ECONOMIC RECOVERY!!!!!!! :evil:  If it were up to Bush's old oil buddies, the gas would be .50 cents a gal......THAT's what would get America going again and re-elect Bush........not high gas. I don't care if they have to drill on the White House lawn......they better start to get supplies up again, or we are going to be hurtin' fer certain!
That Sound You Hear In The Woods While Hunting  Is Deer Laughing

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2004, 04:00:49 PM »
Quote from: Squirrelsaurus Rex

That's exactly my point.  There should be an inquiry.  But every time they announce a new investigation, nothing ever comes of it.  I guess the gas/oil companies are paying off the politicians to keep quiet.  So the oil companies profit, the politicians profit, and the American people foot the bill.
Dali Llama say oh, Squirrelsaurus Rex desire investigation in which politically damaging findings not be swept under rug and be appropriately addressed.  Dali say so sorry, that not be American way nor provide continued employment for politicos. :P

Offline dodgecity

Gas prices
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2004, 04:26:19 PM »
It was 1.58 for regular when I filled up at the beginning of the week. I have never understood why gasoline prices are higher on either coast than they are here. Perhaps the difference is in state taxes, since the most liberal tax happy states seem to be on the coasts.TTT is right on the money with his observations. The liberal beauracracy, the media, and the not so loyal opposition are doing everything in their power to undermine consumer confidence and tank the economy.

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
Gas prices
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2004, 06:29:50 PM »
Quote from: tubbythetuba
I'll tell ya exactly why it's going up; Election year.  Every cent the gas goes up is a cent that counteracts the tax cut. The cuts are working well enough that the A-rabs and Dems are worried...neither want Bush elected again...ergo sum........high gas prices... ANYTHING TO MESS UP THE ECONOMIC RECOVERY!!!!!!! :evil:  If it were up to Bush's old oil buddies, the gas would be .50 cents a gal......THAT's what would get America going again and re-elect Bush........not high gas. I don't care if they have to drill on the White House lawn......they better start to get supplies up again, or we are going to be hurtin' fer certain!

I don’t understand why people think the Dumbocrats are “for the little guy” when they will do anything to sink the economy and let the “little guy” sink with it.     And how do they think the Dumbocrats are against big business when, if Kerry were to make it to the oval office, he would be the third richest president we have ever had.   He married into the Heinz fortune.   How is that NOT big business.

Oh yeah... 1.65 a gallon up here for the 87 octane stuff.
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline NYH1

Gas prices
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2004, 07:06:25 PM »
I don't know I haven't got gas in a month . The wife has been getting it. Do you believe that? :-D  :grin:  :-)  :P  :lol:
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline dread

• Avid Poster
Gas prices
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2004, 07:39:04 PM »
When I got gas a week or so ago I paid $!.55 a gallon. Now it's gone up to $1.65 a gallon for regular. I am not getting the same gaa mileage as I did in the summer. I think it"s due to the refomulated gas. Burns a lot quicker and gets less miles per gallon. I am hoping there will be one of those gas wars soon so the price will go down.  :shock:

Offline jh45gun

Gas prices
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2004, 07:42:32 PM »
I tell ya folks they use any excuse they can last time it was the war and the unstable problems in what ever south american country I do not remember but that is their excuse this time as it worked last time. Even the fuel oil excuse did not enter into it this time. For a while in WI (we have the only refinery in WI at Superior) gas was higher here than it was down south of us and they had to truck it there besides.That figures eh cheaper gas after you pay to truck it some where yea right.  They did a investigation on price gouging but was found that they did not gouge prices yea right. THeir excuse was that areas are zoned and some zones cost more than others mainly metro zones cost more for gas than rual zones?????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Makes a lot of sense eh? NOT since more gas is sold in metro areas it should be cheaper not more expensive if you go by the zone plan if you look at it as the more you sell the cheaper it should be to drop the prices. Yea the oil companies had it figured out as the zones in the metro area made them a bigger profit. Now they have the same price pretty much no matter where you go in my area as folks did not buy the zone idea. So now they use any petty excuse they can. I cannot wait for the hydrogen technology to develop as that will ease the gas situation but what do you want to bet the energy companies and oil companies will own the rights to that also. :(   Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Riflemanz

Gas prices
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2004, 12:58:32 AM »
$1.69 gal here in Milwaukee Wi
Have you hugged your 45-70 lately?
NRA Member
Menomonee Falls Gun club member
REM 7400 .270
Marlin 1895,1894
Ruger 44Mag Super Redhawk
Glock 19

Offline MINNESOTA DICK

• Avid Poster
Gas prices
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2004, 01:34:13 AM »
Gas prices are contoled by supply and demand.  The more poeple depend on gas for every day use the higher prices go.

If everyone would stop using gas there would not be any demand for it and gas prices would go down until it either created a demand it or they would stop producing it.  Remember the Whola Hoop (sp) high demand high prices, no demand no Whola hoop.  

But that won't happen in todays world because people won't give up their cars and will keep buying gas no matter what the price is. Also our life is so dependent on gas for every thing these days.  The oil/gas companys have got us where they wants us.  Right by the balxs.  People will adjust to gas price increases just like they every other time they increase the price and just complain a bit about it.

Oh well  :roll:

Minnesota Dick
Happy shooting, may you hit what you aim at.

Minnesota Dick

Offline CEJ1895

• Avid Poster
Gas prices
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2004, 02:16:00 AM »
We were discussing this very topic this morning! It's 1.72 a gallon here was 1.67 last week! Where's all that oil we're supposed to be taking out of Iraq ? :blaster:  CEJ...
If I can't take my rifles with me, I don't want to go!

Offline Dali Llama

Gas prices
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2004, 02:18:08 AM »
Quote from: Major
if Kerry were to make it to the oval office, he would be the third richest president we have ever had.   He married into the Heinz fortune.  
Maybe he acquire 57 varieties in accompanying nuptial agreement, say Dali Llama...  :eek: :-D  :lol:  :)  :grin:  :eek:

• Avid Poster
Gas prices
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2004, 09:39:18 AM »
Quote from: MINNESOTA DICK
The oil/gas companys have got us where they wants us.  Right by the balxs.

You spelled "balls" wrong. :mrgreen:

Offline MINNESOTA DICK

• Avid Poster
Gas prices
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2004, 11:32:41 AM »
Squirrelsaurus Rex:

Well I spell and type like I shoot.  :-)
Close counts if I want to hit what I am shooting at it I have to use a scatter gun.  :wink:

Minnesota Dick
Happy shooting, may you hit what you aim at.

Minnesota Dick

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
Gas prices
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2004, 12:06:34 PM »
if Kerry were to make it to the oval office, he would be the third richest president we have ever had.   He married into the Heinz fortune.  
Maybe he acquire 57 varieties in accompanying nuptial agreement, say Dali Llama...  :eek: :-D  :lol:  :)  :grin:  :eek:

They say variety is the spice of life, but does he need that much?
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline Dali Llama

Gas prices
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2004, 04:53:22 PM »

They say variety is the spice of life, but does he need that much?
Dali Llama say that what man need, what man want, and what man have often be very different thing. :-)

Offline Gunsmoke

Gas prices
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2004, 06:50:26 PM »
Like the rest of you I sure don't like having to pay higher prices for the goods that we all use everyday, but considering since the early 80's that housing has gone up app. 300%, cars definitely have gone up 300%, I'm just thankful that gasoline has only increased app. 35%. We could be paying $6.35 per gallon like UKNeil and the rest of Europe. If we are going to investigate Big Oil Companies, why not Big housing or Big Automotive. Just my thoughts.
"Those that would trade liberty for security, deserve neither". Ben Franklin

Offline Dali Llama

Gas prices
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2004, 02:27:49 AM »
Quote from: Gunsmoke
If we are going to investigate Big Oil Companies, why not Big housing or Big Automotive.
...and Big Gun, say Dali Llama?  Dali say price of weaponry have risen considerably since he wee lad. :D

Offline Bikenut

• Avid Poster
Gas prices
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2004, 06:30:49 AM »
Quote from: Red Neck64
Quote from: U.K.Neil

Cigarettes should cost $8,930 a pack.But gas at $6.35 no thats war.

The following is not an attack on you personally, nor is it even a comment on your opinion of cigarettes, RedNeck... I'm using your post only as an example and an introduction to my comments to show that there is something terribly wrong in our society.

Cigarettes at $8,930 a pack? My father quit smoking when in his 50's. Since then every time the "sin" tax on cigarettes went up he was all for it. He thought the state getting money from something he quit doing and quit buying and that he didn't pay those taxes for was the best thing since sex. Then one day I told him that since he owned a 24 foot inboard/outboard mini cabin cruiser that he should have to pay a "sin" tax on it. And they should increase that tax very often and without him having a say about it. Suddenly my dad got the message.

It doesn't matter what the activity or how anyone feels about it... singling out one segment of people to pay extra is not correct. It is discrimination and elitism at it's worst. It is also greed since those who aren't paying that tax are benefiting from it.... and arrogantly happy to do so.

Now.... please read my comments carefully. I did not say smoking was a good thing... nor did I say owning a very nice boat was a bad thing. I'm saying that unduly penalizing those who smoke or own boats (or any other legal activity/possession) most definately IS a bad thing. And I'm saying that penalizing other peole for the things they should have the "freedom!" do do is an arrogant and elitist attitude that is disgustingly prevelant in society today.

How about substituting "gun ownership" for "cigarettes"? I wonder if anyone here would agree that ammo should cost $8,930 a box of 20? Or that guns should cost $893,000 per gun regardless of caliber/make/or use intended?

To my mind, the term "freedom" doesn't just mean that I[/b] am the sole recepient and the only person entitled to "freedom". It means every other person (regardless of what I think of them or of what they do) also has the same "freedoms" and the same amounts of "freedoms" that I have. And they should not have to pay extra to exercise those freedoms.
The longer I live, the older I get.
Neither has anything to do with wisdom.