Author Topic: Smith & Wesson Performance Optics  (Read 890 times)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Smith & Wesson Performance Optics
« on: February 27, 2004, 07:24:22 AM »
Anybody have any experience with the S&W scopes? Good or bad! I have a chance to buy a couple at a very good price, but have no experience with them.

It says they have a Rainshield coating I guess kinda like Bushnells Rainguard. Are these scopes made in the same factory as Bushnell Elites?

I would appreciate any and all responses, good or bad!

Thank you!

Here is a couple pics:

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline FireMarshal91

• Trade Count: (0)
S&W Scopes
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 06:27:37 PM »
Busta'yote,

I just purchased a 6-20X42MM smith & wesson performance optics scope today.  I should receive it in about 7-10 days.  I'll let you know what I think about the scope.

Jason :lol:
Sometimes you are the dog...

And sometimes you are the hydrant

Offline BUSTER51

• Avid Poster
SMITH & WESSON
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 02:14:15 PM »
I JUST GOT A S & WW 3-9X 42 SCOPE  FROM CDNN FOR $139.99 AND OTHER THAN THE ADJUSTMENTS BEING  STIFF IT IS A DAMN NICE SCOPE BRIGHT ,CLEAR AND AS GOOD AS SCOPES IN THE $300.00 RANGE GOING TO PUT IT ON A SIG THIS WEEK END .

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 09:25:54 PM »
S&W SCOPE REVIEW

S&W 1.5-6x38 Scope Review

I will rate each feature with a maximum of 5 stars.

The scope anti fog works perfectly, as in none from cold outside into 70 deg. inside temp. The Rainshield works very well, I took in out in a heavy rain and the water would hit the lenses and splatter off. There was a little residual moisture (very small droplets) from the rain but worked well enough so that you could still see very well. I gave it the breath test to fog up the lens, they cleared themselves in 5 seconds on average. I give it a rating of Excellent on the Rainshield and clarity. Rating: * * * * 1/2

The eye relief is long, maybe too long for the intended application, a White M-98 w/laminate stock with a short LOP of 13-1/2". I have it all the way forward in the medium height Leupold QR Rings and still had to temporarily install a slip on recoil pad. The scope is very eye critical on my example with the 5" eye relief. Rating: * * *

The power adjustment is very stiff on this scope, too stiff for my liking. Though stiff, it is functional and very easy to read with the numbers on the ring facing you, unlike some other scopes. Rating: * *

The matte finished tube is very well made and easy on the eye. The scope lens covers have a big silver flashy S&W on each cap with a large band of rubber running down each side. The focus ring is at the rear of the occular eyepiece and very user friendly. Rating: * * * *

The crosshair adjustment caps ar made of metal and the adjustment knobs are finger adjustable. The circle X type reticle is nice an the scope is brighter than a Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4x32 that I thought was very bright.Rating: * * * * *

Overall the scope is very well made, ranking up there with the better scopes Made In Japan. Very clear optics with Rainshield that works. Nice adjustments with the exception of the power ring but has very easy to read numbers. Very generous eye relief but a little critical on eye positioning. OVERALL RATING: * * * *

I have not shot the rifle w/scope as of yet but hope to by next weekend. I don't think it will let me down. The scope is definitely worth the $129.00 that I paid for it, but I would probably choose another scope if I had to pay $399.00 MSRP. These scopes are the real deal, I just think S&W missed the marketing boat.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline big6x6

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 01:09:23 AM »
Where is the scope manufactured?
Deactivated as trouble maker. Letters to sponsors over inline forum problems.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 06:17:24 AM »
Chuck,

The ad copy says they are manufactured in Japan's Finest Optics Plant, with the RainShield coating I'm thinking maybe the same thing as Bushnell's RainGuard!? My "GUESS" would be either Hakko or Light Optic Works (LOW), but that is ONLY a guess!

I was hoping to hear more about these scopes, but I'm guessing once these scopes become more popular, they will be demanding a much higher retail. Natchez wants double what CDNN wants for the same S&W scopes, and I always thought Natchez had good prices.

I am thinking about taking this 1.5-6x38 off my M-98 and putting her on my Ultra Slug or Huntsman, the 5" of eye relief is about 1" too much for the White without the slip on recoil pad. I think I will order the 3-9x42 for the M-98, that should be perfect.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline FireMarshal91

S&W Scope
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 08:10:29 PM »
I just received my S&W scope.  It is a 6x24x42mm mil-dot scope.  I must say it impresses me.  It sits on top of my Savage 12fv ss .223 and I can easily see the bullets going into the paper a 100 yrds.  Optics appear bright and scope is well made.  It has an adjustable objective out to 1000 yrds and has 1/4" positive click adjustments. Scope is in a matt finish.

The scope should complement my new Savage since it shots 3/8" inch groups with a 52g. HP (wha-hoo). I will be going over to eastern Oregon in the next couple of months and will let you know how it works in the wayout and beyond distances.

I paid $190.00 for mine on e-bay.  I might have been able to get it $10-20 cheaper, but got tired of waiting for 5-7 day auctions to end.  There are several more of these scope on e-bay for sale, I would recommend them.

Jason :P
Sometimes you are the dog...

And sometimes you are the hydrant

Offline Zachary

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 06:22:11 AM »
Quote from: Busta'yote

The eye relief is long, maybe too long for the intended application....The scope is very eye critical on my example with the 5" eye relief....

FIVE inches of eye relief?!?!?! :eek:

Wow!  That's a lot!  If there ever is such a thing as too much eye relief (which I thought there wasn't) perhaps there is with that scope.  Still, I think that I would rather have 5 inches of eye relief than just 3 inches.

Zachary