Author Topic: George Washington statue knocked over in Portland, draped in US flag  (Read 340 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
https://www.foxnews.com/us/george-washington-statue-knocked-over-portland-us-flag

By Vandana Rambaran | Fox News

The head of a George Washington statue in Portland, Oregon was draped in the American flag, lit on fire, and then the entire bronze effigy was toppled by a group of demonstrators in an overnight protest Thursday.

Opposers of the statue pointed to the fact that America's first president owned slaves.

Initially, a group of 20 people met at the statue around 10 p.m. and wrapped Washington's head in the American flag before lighting it on fire, according to reports by KOIN 6 News.

A statue of George Washington has been pulled down with ropes at NE 57th & Sandy near the German American Society.
Over time, the crew of demonstrators grew larger, until there were enough people to knock the statue over.

The event took place on the eve of Juneteenth and ended an otherwise peaceful day of demonstrations throughout the city. Protesters have been gathering for 21 days straight to condemn police brutality after the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis. Floyd died in police custody after an officer kneeled on his neck for over eight minutes.

Several groups banded together to host an event at the Jefferson High School to recount stories of racism they experienced in the community.

Some demonstrators congregated outside of the Justice Center but most left before midnight, according to local reports.

Another large group of protesters marched through downtown Portland, eventually gathering outside of Mayor Ted Wheeler's home before they were cleared away by police. Demonstraters were furious about a $16 million cut to the police department's budget, which passed earlier in the day, but that protesters say falls short of the demanded $50 million.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: George Washington statue knocked over in Portland, draped in US flag
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 02:40:54 PM »
I guess these idiots don't realize what
a great man Washington and Thomas
Jefferson was.
There's just not many mortal men  who
were as all around great as George Washington
and Thomas Jefferson
Great great great Americans
and great men
It's a shame we can only make statuary
and paintings to honor the
greatness of men like this
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 10:02:55 PM »
I grew up in Portland but it's not the same place anymore.  I don't even like driving though the city on the freeways anymore...  My daughter and grandkids live on the eastern edge of the city and I sure wish they'd move out of the city.

Tony

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 01:51:22 PM »
Its a city ran by Queers and other degenerates of the Snowflake variety. One can expect this kind of anti American behavior.
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 03:17:19 PM »
It's really a shame that folks don't give a
man like Thomas Jefferson the respect
and credit he deserves. He was a man of
true science when a lot of his contemporaries
were barely advanced from alchemy, and
opening a vein to drain "bad" blood from a
sick person was thought to be a standard
scientific cure. He's still the same great hero