Author Topic: Rant - Forum software is NOT User friendly  (Read 623 times)

Online Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Rant - Forum software is NOT User friendly
« on: July 16, 2020, 11:47:04 PM »
I start a thread or response. 

[RANT = ON]

When (not if) I attempt to correct ANY little thing in that writing, this software automatically attacks it with "["size=78%"]" and "["/size"]" tags.

If I write a quote, expecting the tags that I insert around the text to offset the quote from the remainder of the text, and I then make ANY modification within that quotation, this software attacks the entire post making EVERYTHING in it a quote.

The "work around" that I have found is to post the thread in its software adulterated form and then MODIFY THE HELL OUT OF IT so that it reads as intended.

Carriage return ("enter" command) looks like one line when typing but the software actually adds two (2) blank lines - increasing "white space".

This software is FRUSTRATING. 

One more thing...Forums could use a "View First Unread Post" link.

One more thing...Threads could use a "post counter" as in every post gets a consecutive number in its chronological order as in "#X of #Y"

[RANT=OFF]

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Rant - Forum software is NOT User friendly
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 05:44:04 AM »
These things aren't happening to me nor really to anyone else I've noticed other than you and Ironglow.

Now I might be wrong but I think there is a moral in there somewhere.

I think it might be something other than this forum software doing that. I'm not a computer tech type so am guessing here. But I can do all those things and the things you mention don't happen to me.

Are you composing your message in the message box or elsewhere and copying it here? Are you leaving font size and font face as the forum sets it or changing it?

I'll need to call this to Matt's attention as I have no tech skills but "what" (That what was just corrected and put in quotes and this was added) you and Ironglow are seeing I am not on my posts.

"OK this is in quotes (change made here) I will now make a change to it"

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JoeG52

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 08:47:32 AM »
 I just typed this in a word processor then copied and pasted. This text is BOLD. This text is in a larger font. This text is italic. This text is in red.
When I paste this and post I'll see what it looks like.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 09:35:29 AM »
Looks jist lak you said it would.

I think the issue is some how related to the software, dunno if operating system or browser or what but one or the other most likely that Richard and Ironglow are running.

I'm running chrome on Win7 on my computer.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JoeG52

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 09:42:18 AM »
 I am using Firefox on Windows 10. The word processor is part of Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2.
OpenOffice seems to do everything Microsoft Office does but it is free.